Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:04 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Yes, let the thread die. I keep wincing seeing that "their" in the title.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:08 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
The only real way to prove there is a God is to wait until you actually die and find yourself either (1) at the Pearly Gates or (2) at the Gates of Hell. Then you will realize there is both a God and a Devil and if you didn't believe while alive, tough for you. No retroactive salvation. You're now going to burn in Hell for all eternity.

Or, you simply turn into dust and oblivion. In either case, it's too late to come back and confirm or disconfirm to your friends and loved ones as to the existence of God.

What we probably need is some kind of post-death cellular phone which you can take with you and then call back to the folks at your deathbed. "Hi, it's me, and it's hot as hell... literally! In fact, my phone's meltinggggggggggg....." Or "It's all black and I'm just floating in this void. Wish you were here!" Or maybe "Wow, I'm wearing this white robe and I have wings and some kind of glowing halo over my head! I'm taking harp lessons tomorrow...."

I don't know. Religion is more about providing an ethos, a higher guidance for people so that they don't just go around killing, raping, and acting like crazed, depraved sub-animals (even animals don't do that). It's about civilization, and motivating people to live by the Golden Rule, and making the world a better place.

It's also a way of dealing with the occasional spiritual revelations that some of us experience. Our brains sometimes glitch, experience these electrical storms that leave us greatly altered and in search of explanations. See William James "Varieties of Religious Experience" (it's out of copyright and can be downloaded as a PDF) for fascinating and brilliant discussion of these experiences and how they lead to the founding of religion.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:22 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
You claim God is real,if his real prove it?

You can't and my logic isn't flawed..

You are not looking for proof.
You are looking for verbal fight. Likely to make you feel better. Quench that never ending voice of doubt, that fear inside of you.
No matter what one will say, you will counter with your prejudice.

It's pointless.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There is overwhelming, unparalleled Biblical and non-Biblical proof of God and the truth of the Bible as God's Word. See: UCanKnowTheTruth.com --- Prophecy, Science, Archaeology, Literature, Claims, Indestructibility, Life-changing power, Mathematics --- Many cry "prove it to me, make me believe!" - yet, harden their hearts and blind their eyes to the proof God has provided - in favor of worldly opinions for which no proof exists.

But, those who acknowledge the inborn knowledge of God's eternal power and deity (Rom. 1:18-20) find the proof and power of God everywhere they look. For others, sadly, no amount of proof, truth or time is sufficient. Thus, one can 'prove' God and the truth of His Word with more empirical evidence than most require to believe anything else .... but, cannot force them to believe what they are unwilling to even consider.

Even that, however, is the plan of a God, who in order to truly allow mankind to choose to accept His offer love and grace, must also give them the free-will to reject those things.
Or, you know, he/she could just take an active, truly visible role in the lives of EVERYONE, eliminating the need for 'faith' at all.

Do you really think that somehow, blind devotion to faith by a minority of people is more pleasing to God than a universal appreciation for a real, tangible, 'hands-on' deity would be?

If so, why? Both involve the use of 'free-will', and those who feel that one must have tragedy in their life to appreciate the good times are, in my humble opinion, literally mentally ill.

None of this stops me from speaking with God, but the conversation is pretty one sided.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 12-31-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 10:01 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
We, right here, in the next day or 2 are going to answer this, right? I don't know about the rest of you, but this one is way beyond my pay grade.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 AM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Is proper grammar and spelling a requirement to participate in social media? It reeks of elitism and class separation to offer any rebuttal that begins with an attack on a persons grasp of proper English.

Maybe, but probably not. I've met some fairly crazy people who claim to have spoken to God and I'm reasonably certain it was after they also chatted up Jim Morrison and John Lennon.

There are plenty of people who claim to have proof that God exists which only serves to muddy the waters. I mean, how is it some people have "spoken" to God, particularly those who seem a bit unbalanced. I can't prove they haven't though I'm comfortable in my assumptions that it was completely in their imagination.

I'm a deeply spiritual person whose personal commitment to religion has waned over the years, and while I don't necessarily believe in an omnipotent heavenly being wearing long flowing robes, I'm comfortable in assuming there is some higher power. It's more of a feeling based more on instinct and intuition than concrete evidence, but that's where my having faith comes into play. I operate under the assumption that there is some degree of accountability and how we live our live on Earth ultimately impacts what happens when our bodies quit. But I also don't need anyone else to buy into my theory, it's personal.

So to answer the original poster, God exists if you believe it to be true and doesn't if you reject such a notion. You can't prove God doesn't exist any more than someone else can. And if believing in a higher power encourages someone to be a better person, I'm all for it.
The same with me.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There are four religions in the U.S.:

Religion
Politics (left/right)
Science (belief above all else even if evidence is WRONG)
Money

Almost everyone worships one of those four. Sad.
I would add 'Capitalism' as the fifth.

Every economic strata can worship money, but only those whose livelihoods do not depend on working for others actively worship Capitalism, with its ability to destroy huge swaths of the economy in its quest to increase stock value by 1¢ a share.

Widely followed by many C-D members.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Your command of the English language is abysmal. You have no grasp of the nuances of the word "faith". You probably think your response was terribly clever - have fun basking in the aura of your cluelessness.

So, you don't believe in anything that hasn't been proven to you personally to exist? What a sad, sad, limited existence you must have. Have you ever personally laid eyes on a 1973 Honda SL350? Sure, there's pictures of them out there, but pictures can be easily faked. Since you've never seen one, they don't exist, right? Your logic is breathtakingly flawed.
Picking at OP's grammar doesn't make his question any less valid. And your logic is flawed, not Tyrone's. Hondas exist; people see them all the time. There has never been any evidence that any gods exist. And no Tyrone, no one can prove there is a God. No one has been able to prove it, and most likely no one will ever be able to prove it. Faith is the belief in something in the absence of proof. The only difference in believing in flying pigs, unicorns, and God is that it is socially acceptabl to believe in God and socially unacceptable to believe in unicorns and flying pigs. No one has ever seen, heard, or talked to God, at least, not in a way that can be independently verified. They can believe fervently, but there has never been any proof that he exists.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I'm just wondering which God you want proof of as real? Which Hindu God should be start with? Brahma the creator? Vishnu the preserver? Shiva the destroyer? Shall we branch off into Buddhist Gods? What about radical Islam's definition of Allah as a reason for their caliphate? Caliphate, an Islamic state led by a caliph who is a successor to the Islamic prophet Muhammad whose power is absolute. Their caliph is among us now and proof enough for them to create great acts of murder and torture in the name of Allah. Never mind that it was written by the hand of man, it must be true right?

I think the question should be did man create God, or did God create man? I'm leaning towards the man created God scenario. There are so many different definitions of God that it would be impossible to say which one is right and which one is wrong. Then there's the wars that start over the passionate that insist that their way of thinking is the one and only highway to heaven. Yep I predict that this thread will be closed soon because of the disrespect that's already started by the one way only way of thinking.

God is real and needs no proof of existence for those that have the need to believe. God does not exist for those that need proof, and there are those somewhere in between. Let it be. Let it be. Speaking words of wisdom. Let it be. Thank you Paul.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:34 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Do you see the wind? Nope, you don't. But you believe its there right?

Same goes for God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates