Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
No, this is a big country and many states are sparsely populated. Like Montana is huge, the 4th largest state with barely over a million people.
I understand this argument, but upon close inspection its problematic. Many western states have scant populations, but there are specific reasons for it. Lack of water and arable land are at the top of the list. In Montana out of the prairie and in neighboring North Dakota the climate is horrendous in the winter. There are days and days of below zero temperatures in the winter. The next is thing that you can't tell these people where they are going to live. Just like you and I, they have the right to make that decision on their own. Most of them are going to choose to live in a temperate area in either a city or its suburbs where there are adequate jobs, housing, and access to medical care. In short, you don't have a way to require those people to live in the regions of the country that you are describing.

The population problem is a tricky one, but there are no simple answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Definitely not. Even China isn’t overpopulated as most of the population is concentrated along the eastern coast. The provinces to the west are far more scarcely populated.

It isn't where, but rather how many in total.
We humans destroy everything "as nature intended" in our wake.
I was amazed to learn just today that despite EPA stricter enforcement and better guidelines; our air quality has gotten worse.
It takes more processing plants to feed the masses, no matter where they are are located.
In theory, the planet could support more; but our efforts are falling short on minimizing the ecosystem damage.
And we're running out of time.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:18 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
So long as young men & women are 'allowed' to believe that they have a 'right' to copulate (irregardless of the possibility of whether or not a child is conceived, and/or whether or not they have the ACTUAL financial-ability to provide a home/nurturing-environment for that child) then I believe that this country (and the entire world) is in SERIOUS danger of becoming overpopulated.

There should be LIMITS...and everyone past a certain age/education-level SHOULD be smart enough to KNOW what those limits are...and if they choose to say "screw the limits...we're having sex whether anybody else likes it or not"...

...then there should be CONSEQUENCES.

And those consequences should not EVER be placed (or paid for), on the backs of hard-working U.S. taxpayers.

You did it to yourselves, when you threw GOD out of schools, courts and ridiculed those who try to KEEP God in thier homes and replaced the time-honored PROVEN traditions with 'whiney, milquetoast politically-correct speaking liberal/progressive college-educated social-service CLONES...THIS is what you are left with.

MILLENNIALS who 'rut' like ANIMALS.

WAKE UP AND LOOK AROUND...and take a DEEP whiff...

You made your OWN damn beds...now YOU get to sleep in 'em ! ! !

Sleep TIGHT, cupcakes !

I can't love this post enough...thank you !!!

I will never understand the mindset so many on this thread have that it's perfectly ok to rid the planet of other species, beautiful areas of nature, rainforests etc...all just to make room for more humans. They act like humans are superior to all other species and so deserve this special treatment.....YET, they have no problem with living shoulder to shoulder with other people when it comes to that point...What kind of quality of life is that for your sainted Human Beings, people ???

Old 03-27-2019, 09:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
We are poorly populated 46% of Americans work

Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, and it cannot be proven otherwise using any objective measures.

Many people buy in the over-population nonsense, because they conflate, confuse and equivocate over-crowding with over-population. They are not the same thing. The US can easily handle a population of 6 Billion.

So many people are ignorant of the fact that there are 23 Million acres of fallow farmland in Ohio and 135+ Million acres of fallow farm land in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Missouri, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

That doesn't include the Millions of acres of grazing/pasture lands that are currently fallow as well.

And it doesn't include the Millions of acres of fallow farmland or pastures in the other 45 States.

If the entire world's population lived in one city:

https://persquaremile.com/2011/01/18...d-in-one-city/

Arguments of over-population are typically thinly veiled racism or racial bigotry.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make it racial. Only 6 pages in.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
One start on how we can achieve that is to eliminate tax deductions for dependents. But yes, I can hear the screams now. In fact I think that would just not fly.

But the way things are now, the tax regulations reward people who have more children by making those who don't have children subsidize them.

I think it's enough that my property taxes pay for schools for other peoples' children. (I have none.) I am okay with paying for schools because I believe a well educated populace is good for America.

And don't anybody get out your violin and start crying that it costs more to have children so the government and taxpayers should pay you for it. It is fully within your power to have however many or few children you have. It's unreasonable to expect other more responsible who decided to not have children pay for you to have children.

Thank you. There is a FB page called Where is my refund, or something like that. Anyway, you would not believe the sheer amounts of people who are like "I've been waiting forevvver for my refund. It's 7 thousand, I've got 5 kids and neeeeeed this money nowwwww", right ?

And then in another post, the same people are all "I can't wait, we're taking all 5 kids to Disneyworld, getting a new car and paying 3 months worth of rent and all our bills !!! yayyyy for us !!!"

Meanwhile, as a single widowed woman, I get the privilege to bust my ass all year and get about 600 dollars back. I haven't had a vacation in years, nor a new car. This situation just isn't right. Why should I be subsidizing super expensive vacations for people just because they chose to breed ?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I don't think any of us want policies that hurt the children once they're here. I know that I don't.
The policies we need are to focus on preventing them getting here in the first place.

Go to the FB page I mentioned in my last post. Educate yourself on what parents are spending their huge refunds on. It's not up to me to forego vacations forever just so some serial breeders can have a super expensive vacation at Disneyworld !

Old 03-27-2019, 09:57 AM

510 posts, read 448,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
At nearly 320+ million people, is the U.S. becoming overpopulated?
We're roughly 1/3 of a billion people at the current moment.

How much is too much?
I'm interested in what you guys think about this topic.

Be sure to take into account environmental effects, our infrastructure (roads, developments, schools, etc.), urban sprawl, economy/jobs, crime, overall happiness and satisfaction.

The larger urban areas are definitely over populated

Old 03-28-2019, 12:15 AM

83 posts, read 43,247 times
Very soon the population of North America, includimg Mexico will start to age dramatically

Old 03-28-2019, 05:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monasterio View Post
Very soon the population of North America, including Mexico will start to age dramatically
Most of the US Baby Boom (b1945-1960) is already post retirement age.
Combined with longevity of their older relatives... it adds up fast.

Regardless, and even with them (us?) dying off over the next 20-30 years ...
the population expansion damage is already done ...
by creating directly and promoting more than replacement levels of children and grandchildren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates