Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times

Advertisements

I will start by saying I have had friends, men and women, who are gay for over 20 years. I am a straight getting close to 40yr old man. I have never had a problem with gay/lesbian/bi people. I have never understood how anyone can tell anyone who they can or can not love, nor why someone would even have a problem with it, (other than because they were told to).

I do recall this acronym was at one time LGB, and then some how Trans got grouped in.

As far as transgender; I understand the concept of gender identity, but I completely disagree with it. I respect its hard for me to understand something that I have no experience with any way. I feel its a lie to ones self, and every one else. It has nothing to do with who you love, but who you want to be seen as. I see it as an attempted manipulation of biology that one person is not above.

This is me trying to be as open-minded as I can, (although I'm sure some will disagree. Just know I wouldn't have spent this time to write this if it wasn't).

Whether or not you agree/disagree with my reasons behind it; do you have similar? To me grouping this in is now questioning its legitimacy. Now recently a couple times I have even heard of a Q.. LGBTQ.. A quick search said "Q" stood for "***** or questioning". I think its starting to get silly, and losing its acceptance.

I would especially like to hear from anyone who is LGB (and willing to share that when its none of our business), on why or why not you feel this should be included.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
I think it doesn't belong.

Like the whole bathroom scandal going on across the country.

The media likes to portray it as "LGBT discrimination", when it clearly isn't doing any such thing.

IF you want to define banning men from the women's room as "discrimination" it certainly only is discriminatory to that T and is of no consequence to the LBG portion of the acronym.

IMO, they need to do this and latch on to the LGB crowd to gain any legitimacy and I will have to admit, it has worked for the most part as is evidenced by the media and the general uninformed joe public who buys into the "LGBT discrimination narrative".

Old 04-20-2016, 08:01 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
T is there because it's them who started Stonewall riot and before... Ts were always most visible and because of that - on the very front line of LGB rights fight.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
T has nothing to do with L and G.
Nothing.

I'd like to kick in the crotch the person who smooshed it all together.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:21 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I think it is crazy how such a tiny percentage of the population has the entire country in a uproar.
The "T's" make up a fraction of 1% of the population. They certainly deserve to live their lives like anyone else but how far are we supposed to bend over to accommodate them?
I have gay friends and what they get up to in the bedroom is their business. They don't prance around shouting how gay they are and I don't scream how heterosexual I am. Who does?

It does seem odd how the "T's somehow got lumped into the L the G and the B's but where else are they going to go?
I'll tell you where, to a bathroom or locker room near you.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Because it gives more votes to the LBG voting block to include T.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is crazy how such a tiny percentage of the population has the entire country in a uproar.
And, whose fault is that?

Quote:
The "T's" make up a fraction of 1% of the population. They certainly deserve to live their lives like anyone else but how far are we supposed to bend over to accommodate them?
Is your back getting sore from bending over to accommodate them?

Interesting though that you say that they deserve to live their lives like anyone else. When you use a public restroom, you go into the restroom of the gender you identify with, correct? Why shouldn't others be able to do this as well?

Quote:
I have gay friends and what they get up to in the bedroom is their business. They don't prance around shouting how gay they are and I don't scream how heterosexual I am. Who does?
No doubt you've associated with transgender or genderqueer people without knowing it. Most just want to go about living their lives, like anyone else. No "prancing" necessary.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Because it gives more votes to the LBG voting block to include T.
No, LGB people did not want to include T for a long time... Too much controversy with them, but number of Ts are small. The smallest minority within a minority. It wasn't worth the trouble associated with them

Old 04-20-2016, 11:03 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
When you use a public restroom, you go into the restroom of the gender you identify with, correct?

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority (more than 98%) of people go into the restroom of the gender they ARE. So your argument kinda fails there.

I believe the answer is unisex bathrooms, but that's a different argument, I guess.

On topic...I just don't like acronyms that don't spell something.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:13 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I think it's safe to say that the vast majority (more than 98%) of people go into the restroom of the gender they ARE. So your argument kinda fails there.
I suppose you have a point if you hold fast to the idea that gender is solely determined by the genitalia that a person is born with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates