Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In America, women made it tougher for themselves because of all this equality nonsense. American women today has to work and contribute to the family while having natural responsibilities such as giving birth and being a mother. I know many guys insist on the woman contribute equally but also expect her to cook, clean, handle the kids, and go out to work. I don't think it's fair but careful what you wished for and choose the partner wisely before getting married.

Yet it's the women that is expected to take the pill and still go out and make money for the family.
You just don't get it. AT ALL!!! Total disconnect with what feminism is all about.

Anybody who thinks the relationship between the sexes is a battle doesn't get it either. It is not a battle, it's mutual surrender, a joining of lives. A partnership of equals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In America, women made it tougher for themselves because of all this equality nonsense. American women today has to work and contribute to the family while having natural responsibilities such as giving birth and being a mother. I know many guys insist on the woman contribute equally but also expect her to cook, clean, handle the kids, and go out to work. I don't think it's fair but careful what you wished for and choose the partner wisely before getting married.

Yet it's the women that is expected to take the pill and still go out and make money for the family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You just don't get it. AT ALL!!! Total disconnect with what feminism is all about.

Anybody who thinks the relationship between the sexes is a battle doesn't get it either. It is not a battle, it's mutual surrender, a joining of lives. A partnership of equals.
Sure, we all know the ideal. But what it seems happened is that when more women began working outside the home, they got a lot more added to their plates on top of taking care of kids and home. Meanwhile, men had some stress removed because they didn't carry the entire weight of supporting the family financially...only very, very recently have men started to pick up a little more of the home responsibilities.

Earning money is very empowering in this society - what I hate that it's been presented to women as a PRIVILEGE and that we shouldn't complain about getting to do this while still handling all we did before. If women are helping financially then men need to help with the other stuff too. THAT is equality, in the home. The guy may not be able to breastfeed but he can handle the laundry.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Knowing first-hand what men are like and how they think, I wouldn't want to be a woman and have to deal with them. I have no doubt that women have a tougher time in life, than we do. What men expect of women and what they do to them, is unreasonable. If I suddenly became a woman and encountered myself as a man, I would run for the hills. So that's a good question for everyone to consider: If you were of the opposite sex and encountered yourself as you are, would you want to get involved?

But on a very different note and in answer to Renée, I've always just automatically shared all duties around home with women; sometimes even wanting to do more of it, with cooking, yardwork, laundry, shopping and everything else. It wouldn't occur to me, to just lay back and expect a woman to do all those things for me.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 01-31-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I would like to politely ask you not to speak for women as a whole.
I have not claimed to speak for all women, my posts are only my opinions. Your posts are your opinions and we both have a right to express our beliefs. Clearly, on a fundamental level we do not and will never agree on gender issues.

I thought you were excluding yourself from being one of the women who possess nothing but negative traits when you excluded the women in your circle. I’ve read so many of those type of posts over the years and it and pushed a button in me. I regretfully responded with a very snarky reply and started a negative interaction. I don’t normally do that and do regret it.

I am opposed to your way of thinking and completely disagree with you and I know you disagree with me. I do not understand why anyone would chose to spend time arguing that they and their entire gender are inferior but you have every right to have and express those opinions. It seems we've had very different life experiences and see the issue very differently but I don’t have the time or desire to get into pages of back and forth arguments that will change no one's mind and just annoy other posters in the thread.

Last edited by detshen; 01-31-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You're making pretty broad statements...I don't know what you mean "research not being done for 50%"...sure, women may be included but in smaller numbers that may not be adequate to assess the possibility of different effects and dosages (you know, underpowered research for you smarties).

And I have no idea what you mean by "ignored at a higher rate than men's" so I'll give you these and hope they suffice, not as a full analysis of course but something to show I'm not crazy:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4800017/
This one is a nice historical perspective and pretty comprehensive...here are a couple very short excerpts:
"At the same time, researchers often thought that women would have the same response as men from drugs in clinical trials. They also viewed women as confounding and more expensive test subjects because of their fluctuating hormone levels."

and:
"Three additional studies have been more recently published in 2011 and 2013. In a study that evaluated the inclusion and analysis of sex in the results of federally-funded randomized clinical trials in nine major medical journals in 2009, researchers found most studies that were not sex-specific had an average enrollment of 37% women. However, 64% of the studies did not specify their results by sex and did not explain why the influence of sex in their findings was ignored."

And here's a single, recent study:
Women are missing in trials of drugs and vaccines for HIV - Sex and Gender Womens Health Collaborative

"Conclusions: Although women comprise nearly half of people living with HIV, they continue to be under-represented in clinical studies. Despite federal policies that have been established to address this, our study shows that publicly-funded ARV trials recruit even fewer women than other trials."
The authors found that the median proportion for women was about 20% of the total participants.
"What you're saying is entirely different than deciding not fund and not to do research in the first place for 50%+ of the population..."

These are ridiculous words, but they're your words.

Your first citation is by two women associated with a pharmacy program and is nothing more than opinion piece as is the second, certainly not a "study" as you characterize it, which was written by the editorial staff of a lobbying group.

If you're attempting to mike scientific references, you're failing badly.

Where's the science?

Last edited by kokonutty; 01-31-2017 at 10:22 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 06:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
No offense, but you might be suffering from some type of hormonal imbalance if every time you sit down with ANY woman you want to mate with her. Please seek help, or at least tone down the rhetoric to at least approximate real life.
I don't think there're enough help to go around to make a dent in this epidemic.

But it is true: men check out women all the time. In bars, offices, airplanes, every place. Some get checked out more than others, it's true. Checking out is the first step in mating. Obviously, no man wants to mate with every woman but we do want to mate with some of them very much.

Maybe you're unaware of this. I don't know if you're a check outer or a check outee but almost all people of both kinds know it. Enough women have told me about men looking at them. Some appreciate it, some don't. And I've compared notes with enough men to know checking out is a national pastime. Even international pastime.

Women check out men, too. It's a mating behavior.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:26 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Like Trotsky said, you might not be interested in war but war is interested in you.
I'm afraid I don't see any relevance here at all. Relevance can often be a problem for those who pick sayings out of hat.

Quote:
Some things you can't opt out of. I'd like to escape from death, taxes, gravity, cats but I can't and no one can avoid the Battle of the Sexes. However you feel about your endowment, you have it just like the rest of us.
You apparently consider yourself a hopeless prisoner of what is widely known and recognized to be nothing but a bunch of poppycock and propaganda. Many of us not only aspire to much more than that, but actually achieve it. With relatively little effort.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:32 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
I'm afraid I don't see any relevance here at all. Relevance can often be a problem for those who pick sayings out of hat.

You apparently consider yourself a hopeless prisoner of what is widely known and recognized to be nothing but a bunch of poppycock and propaganda. Many of us not only aspire to much more than that, but actually achieve it. With relatively little effort.
Congratulations. You've overcome nature.

Just because someone professes indifference to natural attraction doesn't mean natural attraction won't effect him. That's the Trotsky part.

The second, yes I do consider myself a prisoner of nature in the sense that there is no escape from it. It can be put down but never completely and it always has its revenge in one way or another.

In your case, and mine, we've taken advantage of the conventions society has developed to control natural desire. Courting, marriage, no means no: there are many of them. If there were no natural desire we wouldn't need all this machinery to control it.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Congratulations. You've overcome nature.
No, I simply understand what nature actually is. This is not such a great victory really, though the numbers of those who have yet to achieve it can seem somewhat frightening at times.

Last edited by Pub-911; 02-01-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-01-2017, 09:43 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Just because someone professes indifference to natural attraction doesn't mean natural attraction won't effect him. That's the Trotsky part.
You have your Russians mixed up. That would be Pavlov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates