Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 06:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

That study found that only a small percentage of people had brains that were entirely typical for the sex matching their genitalia. I do not find it hard to believe that there would also be a small percentage whose brains were typical for the opposite sex.
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. According to this statement, there IS no brain type that is typical for a "sex matching the genitalia." I mean, there can't be if only a small percentage of people have brains that supposedly "match." Match WHAT? How can a brain be a typical type if only a small percentage of people (of either sex) actually have that type of brain?

Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,817 times
The question is easy: Could a coroner determine whether a body is transgendered? The answer is no.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
The question is easy: Could a coroner determine whether a body is transgendered? The answer is no.
What do you mean?

DNA shows whether a person/body is male or female. Forensic scientists can determine if a sliver of bone that's 6000 years old is from either a male or a female.

Males and females are different down to the tiniest snippets of DNA.

https://dna-explained.com/2013/10/24...-not-the-same/

Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What do you mean?

DNA shows whether a person/body is male or female. Forensic scientists can determine if a sliver of bone that's 6000 years old is from either a male or a female.

That's what I mean. Dead bodies are either male/female, and the small percentage of the population that are intersexed. Therefore, transgenderism is completely a mental state.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:21 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Transgenderism is biology.

Just because you consider the idea icky does not mean it is not biological.

For the transgender person, the gender of his or her brain does not match the phenotype of his or her sex. It is not hard to understand, really.
The biology that bathrooms, showers, dressing rooms and locker rooms is based on genitalia, biological, male and female. There is no in-between based on "feelings". In the rare case of hermaphrodites, that would be based on a case-by-case basic. Born male or female means you are always and forever, male or female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
But throughout this thread (and in various articles I've read) I've been informed that "gender is not biology. Gender is how one feels, how one identifies, separate from biology."

And everything about TGism most indeed IS hard for many to understand, as the nearly 300 posts in this thread will testify.
If it has to do with "feelings", it isn't gender but simply "masculine" or "feminine". There have always been men/women who were more masculine/feminine than others, BUT this did not make a woman a man or a man a woman, simply a more feminine man or masculine female.

If we want to say that "gender" is simply masculine or feminine, that would work. Then let's go back to calling "sex" meaning male (XY) or female (XX), what women's vs men's facilities for dressing, showering,, using the bathroom, etc. were designated.

Any guy can be as feminine as they want and still be a guy, same with a female, BUT they are still not the opposite sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Wrong. Transgender people are biologically their birth sex. A transgender person that claims to be a woman is just as male as I am. A persons biological sex can never be changed, no matter what they do to themselves. Gender has become a meaningless term because people keep redefining it to fit their agenda. A brain doesn't have a gender or a sex. Yes, there are differences between male and female brains ON AVERAGE, but that is the key. A doctor cannot look at brain scans of an individual and accurately determine their sex. In the majority of the regions of the brain a pre-hormone tansgender individual has gray matter volumes that fall within values most commonly seen in their biological sex. However, these studies are poorly done and the sample sizes are too small. To say that a transgender individual has a brain of the opposite gender shows complete ignorance in neuroscience and biology in general.
Quote:
Interesting point. He/She would simply look at the physical features, especially the genitalia. Even a man in a dress, wig and pantyhose would still be called a man on his death certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What do you mean?

Maybe I misunderstood what he/she was saying and I quoted above. I wouldn't think a coroner would need to even look at the genitalia, "markers" for male and female go beyond that.

A feminine male is still a male and a masculine female is still a female. A mental health disorder is nothing to celebrate, but something to manage. I still wonder if parents, for attention as I said in another post, don't use the children in a Munchausen by proxy scenario. Seriously, who would want to put their child in the news like some of them do as I am sure it doesn't make it any easier for the child.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
But throughout this thread (and in various articles I've read) I've been informed that "gender is not biology. Gender is how one feels, how one identifies, separate from biology."

I guess I didn't make it clear that what I said above is merely what the "enlightened, open-minded" people keep trying to get me to believe, because as you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

If it has to do with "feelings", it isn't gender but simply "masculine" or "feminine". There have always been men/women who were more masculine/feminine than others, BUT this did not make a woman a man or a man a woman, simply a more feminine man or masculine female.

If we want to say that "gender" is simply masculine or feminine, that would work. Then let's go back to calling "sex" meaning male (XY) or female (XX), what women's vs men's facilities for dressing, showering,, using the bathroom, etc. were designated.

Any guy can be as feminine as they want and still be a guy, same with a female, BUT they are still not the opposite sex.

....which is all very much how I view it.

I've asked (with no answers) what is the difference between a transgendered MtoF, and a male who happens to prefer wearing and doing "girlie things"?

TO ME it seems the former has a mental disorder in which he actually believes he is a woman (a delusion that should not be encouraged), whereas the latter realizes he is a man who prefers feminine things (fine by me), or who likes to pretend he is a woman, but he is not delusional enough to think he IS a woman.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
That's what I mean. Dead bodies are either male/female, and the small percentage of the population that are intersexed. Therefore, transgenderism is completely a mental state.

Oh, I agree totally. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I came across this article the other day: Mother and son are becoming father and daughter | New York Post

It got me thinking about how many people still aren't very accepting of transgender people. I've read the comments people make about transgender people on various articles and CD posts, and few of them are positive. Why do you think that many people are still so intolerant of transgender individuals? It seems that most people are accepting of gay people now, but not transgender..

Is it because transitioning into the opposite sex is still too bizarre to comprehend? Do you think transgender people just have a form of body dysmorphia and need to see a therapist? Do you believe you really can be born in the wrong body?

I myself don't know too much about transgender people... I will admit that I do find it very strange and am not sure if it should be considered a mental illness or not. But I don't go as far as calling them freaks like many other people seem to do..

Share your thoughts please..
I've participated in a lot of threads on this forum regarding transgenders. My niece in law is transgender, I'm in the entertainment business so I know a lot of people of differing backgrounds that people don't come into much contact with as a whole in their regular lives - many of whom are very successful and completely secure in who they are - and I've come to the conclusion that I much prefer to deal with people who are upfront with their negative feelings toward transgenders. At least one knows where they stand.

I find the people that couch their disgust in various passive aggressive ways to be the worst. Being transgender is not an obscure sexual fetish. People don't "decide" to be a woman if they feel like it one day, and a man the next. They don't have a mental disorder and don't need your "help", "help" meaning dissuading them from being themselves, because it makes you uncomfortable.

They don't give a crap that you're in the bathroom in your bra, they just want to pee, maybe put on a bit of lipstick, and leave, just like anyone else. You are not the center of the Universe. They aren't checking you out, listening to your conversations, worried you have your period, or noticing you in any way. If you're in some kind of distress, they'd probably ask if they could be of assistance.

People who use small minded, insidious, mean ways to undermine people they don't understand are the worst. Oh but they'll insist to you that they're good, decent people. They aren't.

I prefer outright hostility. At least those people are honest.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I've participated in a lot of threads on this forum regarding transgenders. My niece in law is transgender, I'm in the entertainment business so I know a lot of people of differing backgrounds that people don't come into much contact with as a whole in their regular lives - many of whom are very successful and completely secure in who they are - and I've come to the conclusion that I much prefer to deal with people who are upfront with their negative feelings toward transgenders. At least one knows where they stand.

I find the people that couch their disgust in various passive aggressive ways to be the worst. Being transgender is not an obscure sexual fetish. People don't "decide" to be a woman if they feel like it one day, and a man the next. They don't have a mental disorder and don't need your "help", "help" meaning dissuading them from being themselves, because it makes you uncomfortable.

They don't give a crap that you're in the bathroom in your bra, they just want to pee, maybe put on a bit of lipstick, and leave, just like anyone else. You are not the center of the Universe. They aren't checking you out, listening to your conversations, worried you have your period, or noticing you in any way. If you're in some kind of distress, they'd probably ask if they could be of assistance.

People who use small minded, insidious, mean ways to undermine people they don't understand are the worst. Oh but they'll insist to you that they're good, decent people. They aren't.

People don't have to be hostile to be honest - believe it or not. It's absolutely possible (and much more pleasant in my opinion, on either end of the situation) to be both honest AND polite at the same time.

Some people are more modest than others, especially around people who have differing genitalia than theirs (aka throughout history till very recently as "the opposite sex"). This doesn't mean they think they are the center of the universe.

I think your phrase "center of the universe" is ironic though, considering that it's actually people who consider themselves to be "transgender" who are taking center stage, and they are less than 1 percent of the population.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-24-2017 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

It is a mental disorder. Pretending it's not does a great disservice to a group that has a 40% suicide rate and needs help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates