Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:08 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times

Advertisements

I'm going to go ahead and say the likelihood of multi generation chinese-americans being third columnists to be fairly low.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:55 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
My grandparents were from New Castle, PA. During WWI the Germans were the enemy. Anything German was banned. Teaching German in high school was banned, and German-English dictionaries, along with other German books, were burned (see, it happened on both sides of the Atlantic). My grandmother was a librarian at the local HS, so she saw these things firsthand.

It got even more ugly. People with German surnames were often harassed. Sometimes they would be dragged out of their beds, down to the town square The Diamond and made to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in ENGLISH or be tarred and feathered.

Even German-breed dogs, like a dachusand, (sp), were tormented. There was more than one incident of hanging "german" dogs from their owners' trees.

American measles were re-named German Measles.

Hanovers were renamed mursh melons.

People with German surnames quietly changed their names to something not so German.

My grandfather had a distinct German surname, and Grandmother's family was opposed to their marriage because of his surname. He changed a few letters to anglicize it.

My grandparents moved to Detroit shortly after they were married, partly to escape the growing anti-German sentiment. Apparently it was more of a melting pot in Detroit and people didn't have such attitudes. Actually Grandfather got a job with Detroit Shipbuilding, which was making war ships.

Such can and did happen here, not that long ago......

Old 05-29-2017, 02:35 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.
There is not going to be a proper war between China and the United States. US cannot invade China and China cannot invade the USA. If anyone try to bomb civilans, they have already lost the war. Bombing military places is going to very difficult and expensive.

So how will a "war" between the US and China look like. It will mostly be some battles between planes and ships in South China Sea over a few islands. It will be very expensive, and both sides will eventually agree to a truce. Absolutly pointless, and hence it is not going to happen, and if it does happen it will only have a small impact on Chinese resturants in the US.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:02 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
It's only food people. Relax. Eat whatever you like..

Old 05-29-2017, 04:52 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.
Most Chinese restaurants in the USA are run by Chinese-Americans who are living in the USA. So not eating in these restaurants would only be harming the local American economy and have no effect on the Chinese people in China.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:13 AM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I hope you are aware that Chinese food in America is not Chinese at all.
In fact, authentic Chinese food almost looks nothing like American Chinese food. You might find a handful of authentic places scattered across America, but I don't think OP is talking about them.

And yes, I will continue eating Chinese, like I am eating Russian, Cuban, N. Korean etc.
People have very little to do with their government action.
On a serious note how do you find an "authentic" Chinese restaurant?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
I wouldn't eat at them even if we don't.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
I don't know. If we got into a war with China and it went nuclear, I suppose I would eat any food that didn't have radiation.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:24 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My grandparents were from New Castle, PA. During WWI the Germans were the enemy. Anything German was banned. Teaching German in high school was banned, and German-English dictionaries, along with other German books, were burned (see, it happened on both sides of the Atlantic). My grandmother was a librarian at the local HS, so she saw these things firsthand.
The city of Kitchener, Ontario, was named Berlin until 1916.

Here in the United States, World War I is what finally eradicated the German language. Nativists routinely idealize their immigrant-from-Europe ancestors, claiming that they got off the boat and immediately learned English and left their native tongues behind, but that was hardly so. Hundreds of thousands of American-born children attended public schools with German curricula. They didn't study German as a foreign language - every subject was taught in German because that was the native language of hundreds of thousands of American-born children. German-language newspapers thrived. Per the 1890 census, 11% of people in Wisconsin and 20% of those in Milwaukee spoke only German.

Then came the war, and the nativists did what nativists do. From eradication of the language - and if you didn't comply, your allegiance was questioned - to a preview of the 'Freedom Fries' idiocy that would come about in 2003, with sauerkraut being renamed 'Liberty Cabbage'. That didn't stick, but 'hot dog' (for 'frankfurter') did.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:

Are you trying to be funny?

If the US and China get into a war eating in a Chinese restaurant won't be on your Top 100 list of concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates