Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 AM

146 posts, read 174,819 times

Advertisements

Envisioning a not-so unlikely scenario (given all that's happening with Trump, Russia, North Korea etc...) where a biological disease wipes out a small town in somewhere like the US or UK and only 20 young white women between 15-25 are left along with 1 boy who's is aged 18, what would the gender dynamics be?

Assuming that infrastructure doesn't collapse instantaneously (food in stores remains fresh, electricity runs) and the town does not receive any more inhabitants coming to rescue or settle there, how would more than a dozen women and only a single male cope?

I know from evolutionary biology females are more important in reproduction than males (1 man can impregnate 10 women but not vice versa) and with this situation, the group could theoretically survive the apocalyptic scenario but I'm more focused on how this society would function with 'roles'. I assume that those who consider post-apocalyptic scenarios rarely focus on how massive gender differences specifically with a deficiency in males impacts on roles.

Am I wrong to believe that the females would be the 'dominant' ones in this group not just for their numbers but for their desires and ability to gather resources? People say the women would elect the male as their leader and submit to him but if he refused to 'man up' and either provide them with their sexual, romantic and intimate needs then they would coerce him with loss of basic needs and physical discipline ? Could one scrawny 5ft 5in 18yr old boy overpower 20 girls who are mostly same and and height but have athletic skills along with street smarts ?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
the kid would probably think himself pretty lucky at first but within a couple months would be seen high-tailing it down the road with his dog, a rifle over his shoulder and a case of beer under his arm.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
They would all kill each other over video games and remaining hot pockets.

Seriously, I don't think it would work out with that group, you need more than one male. If the guy was useful perhaps out of twenty there would be a girl to become his mate. If he wasn't useful he might be banished. I suspect most of the girls would expect the guy to be able to do some things they cannot or will not and he would need to prove himself.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
I know from evolutionary biology females are more important in reproduction than males (1 man can impregnate 10 women but not vice versa) and with this situation, the group could theoretically survive the apocalyptic scenario
Only 10? Man, he really is scrawny. Maybe he could take a week off and get a second wind? Overpower them? I don't think so. Why would such be necessary? Why is the race of the women relevant but the race of the man... boy... is not? Hmmm. This just may take the cake for the most imponderable thread I have ever seen and I have seen some prize contenders.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If the guy was useful perhaps out of twenty there would be a girl to become his mate.
A girl? Seriously... civilization has collapsed... if the old mores of binary fidelity cannot be abolished in the face of on the ground realities then they may as well kill the kid, to put him out of his misery, and live as a self sustaining colony of women for whatever time they have left.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
Envisioning a not-so unlikely scenario (given all that's happening with Trump, Russia, North Korea etc...) where a biological disease wipes out a small town in somewhere like the US or UK and only 20 young white women between 15-25 are left along with 1 boy who's is aged 18, what would the gender dynamics be?
As an older man, a world with 1 guy and 20 women would not be ideal. You may have a dream about it, but it's a dream that bears no relationship to reality.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:34 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
It sounds like someone has an idea for a fiction novel and is looking for possible twists in the plot. For one, it would not be realistic to overlook the significant differences between how men and women think (The old 'Venus' and 'Mars' scenario).

It would similarly seem that within one generation, the progeny (or even the original male and his daughters) would began to produce weaker, inbred offspring.

Finally, as historically demonstrated among monarchy's, there would be growing feuds and battles to establish leadership and control of rules and leadership roles.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the kid would probably think himself pretty lucky at first but within a couple months would be seen high-tailing it down the road with his dog, a rifle over his shoulder and a case of beer under his arm.

lol, A similar vision popped into my head. Though I would be using conveyance faster than foot. At least a good horse. Especially dealing with women in the age group the OP is postulating. That 18 yo kid would gain wisdom beyond his years, gained the hard way, in short order as to the "dynamic" such a number of women would create with him as the only male.

I could foresee him being placed in confinement to be used only as a donor for genetic material, the application of which would require no actual sexual contact. I remember a movie years ago that revolved around such a scenario, where some disease had wiped out most of the men, leaving only a few for the new female dominated regime to ....regulate. The plot was pretty spooky. And the writers of this film and all the production, editing and such was done by women.

Their vision of this situation had me thinking fast horse, whatever possibles I could gather, and looking for very remote country with lots of cover where I could see anyone coming from a long ways off.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:02 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Trump, Russia, NoKo...good luck, guy! You watch too much TV "news."

Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Read up on matriarchal societies and you'll get an idea of the group dynamics.

Genetically it could be worked through without too much inbredness, but you'd have several generations of doubled up recessives that would probably cause trouble. Hopefully your single male is a sturdy specimen genetically speaking. If half the women had a genetic problem, you could manage, but his genetics are going to be half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates