Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times

Advertisements

I'm not buying the NFL demise either. Every Sport was supposed to die off at some point, and yet it always bounces back. Even people saying Boxing is dead, all you need is one good fight and everyone is packing a bar or having a pay per view party for the big fight. The NFL is getting a lot of bad press, and yes the ratings are down, but the ratings are still high, the Revenue is still coming in like crazy, and as long as there is gambling, Football will always be around. And also as much as the NFL may be getting bad press, and so called losing popularity, their pipeline college football is sky high. And as long as that pipeline keeps churning out players, that's another reason the NFL is going to be around for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
I have a nephew who played high school football who at the age of 22 is still struggling with the injuries he sustained while playing. If football does decline it will follow the same path as boxing which during its heyday was the most popular sport in the USA.

Injuries, death in the ring, questionable decisions, and the lasting effects on the participants eventually lead to its decline. Football is in no danger of dying anytime soon, it will be a slow process.

The answer may be to put a time limit on how long one can play the game whether in an individual game, a season or a lifetime.

Societies change as do tastes so there may also be an evolution in views towards football.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I want more player protests in the NFL not less, social activism rocks! change begins at home, or in this case...the end zone

Old 09-22-2017, 10:36 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I want more player protests in the NFL not less, social activism rocks! change begins at home, or in this case...the end zone
me too Ghengis, I find Americans are very apathetic about what goes on.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 PM

1,053 posts, read 799,361 times
I've been a mostly devoted football fan since my single digit years growing up in Philly with the Eagles. Now in my early 50s I've decided to give up on the NFL for the following reasons:

1. The whole Chargers San Diego-LA fiasco. The Chargers tried to play the SD fan base with a ridiculous ballot initiative that got shot down massively. Personally I voted "no" because I don't believe in public funding of stadiums and I'm proud that SD is a city not swindled by the NFL. But the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

2. Colin K and the SJWs in the NFL. I'm actually sympathetic to their cause but I watch football and sports to escape the news and political divisions that have infiltrated almost everything.

3. The continued promotion of the Patriots s the "greatest" despite the well documented cheating. The NFL seems more interested in money and fairness.

4. CTE. Just doesn't seem wise to promote a sport with this risk.

My $0.02 and one persons perspective.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:44 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think the President miss a powerful moment to yes identify the fatherless crisis in black families, especially here in Atlanta and Nationally. However individual offices like the presidency should be used with its dignity and thoughtful speech. For example a more reconciliatory statement like, yes I know NFL protest is a constitutional right; furthermore, we must find a way to address the proper use of authority and equal treatment of all US Citizens. One thing that we can immediately do is discuss how we can help strengthen the family unity, which is the origin of all authority and respect.

I applaud NFL owners statement. Unfortunately, this is message should have never had to come from an NFL owners. I hope this starts an honest dialogue and not more division.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I see the demise from the outside and the inside. If it's not gory fun for everyone it looses. And with health risks and politics in the mix it won't be anymore. It will be specific, for one type of person, and it will die. So be it. We ruin everything.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:28 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Personally, Im taking a knee from now on when it comes to the NFL.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
I dislike everything about the NFL because of their hatred toward women, but this kneeling protest bit tickles me. If 45 hates it, let it continue until he's impeached!

Old 09-24-2017, 11:35 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,773,252 times
DT just put another nail in the NFL coffin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates