Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

No. The administration has already won this battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Nope. Pense "should" Take a knee and pray for this country.Then start actually resolving the issues . Instead he pouts off under the guise that he disapproves of the players "silent" actions. THey aren't disrespecting the "flag", they are practicing a very real right we have in america.
No, not when you're at work. And ESPECIALLY when there's a written rule prohibiting that action.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 PM

47 posts, read 59,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
This is the correct answer.

As for the reason Trump is going after the NFL? It is because the NFL would never let him buy a team going back to the 1980s. As we see everyday, he is a thin skinned baby who never lets go of any perceived slight. He was the main reason the USFL went under in the 1980s when they sued the NFL. The USFL won the law suit and the award was $1 which was tripled under the law to $3 and after all the appeals, the court added .76 for interest for a total award of $3.76. By the time the check was mailed in 1990 the USFL was long gone.

There is no reason for the President and the Vice President to be involved with the NFL. They should be trying to get something done.
I disagree about Trump's motivations for criticizing the NFL. He may not like the NFL for the reasons you mentioned, but he's primarily interested in galvanizing support from his base and distracting them from his repeated failure to repeal the ACA.

I agree they shouldn't be involved at all. War with North Korea is a distinct possibility and the White House is engaging in a shouting match with a sports league.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
No, not when you're at work. And ESPECIALLY when there's a written rule prohibiting that action.
Cite please.

Seems to me - that's the NFL's business to enforce or not. If the "rule" even exists. Which I'm dubious about.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I would love to know why Pence and Trump are wasting their time babbling endlessly about the NFL and the National Anthem. They are making a mountain out of a molehill, and this molehill doesn't even concern them. The NFL is a private entity and their employment policies are their own, not the government's. And even if it was a big deal, they have much bigger issues they should be addressing, like running the government. Is Trump ever going to get around to that? He'll be at the end of his first year in office soon.
If you're seriously saying the President isn't "running the government" you haven't been paying attention. Just yesterday he reversed Mr. Obama's signature Clean Power Plan rule.

Further information is available at:

Daily Press Briefings

1600 Daily: Everything White House

White House Blog: What's Happening

West Wing Reads

Oh, and:

Trump is Right, the NFL Really Does Get ‘Massive Tax Breaks’

Hope that helps!

Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Cite please.

Seems to me - that's the NFL's business to enforce or not. If the "rule" even exists. Which I'm dubious about.
Nobody said it's NOT the NFL's business to enforce. But anyone who's worked for a corporation knows that you have no LEGAL RIGHTS to violate any code of conduct that exists in your company. You don't get to disrupt meetings, yell stuff out, refuse to work, denigrate your company (ie at the phone company on the phone with customers) and about 100 examples I can give you.

Employees of private companies don’t have constitutional rights against their employers. Therefore, professional athletes don’t have a First Amendment right to protest at games. It is NOT protected by the First Amendment which was the claim made that I was answering.

Such as, servers in Starbucks waging protests instead of getting your order.

Let Me Google That For You

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-10-2017 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Nobody said it's NOT the NFL's business to enforce. But anyone who's worked for a corporation knows that you have no LEGAL RIGHTS to violate any code of conduct that exists in your company.

That is NOT protected by the First Amendment which was the claim made that I was answering.

http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=nf...ational+anthem
I get that...as I've said numerous times over several threads. Yes, if a private entity employing you wants to limit that behavior while on company time, it is generally their right to do so. There's the rub...IF.

Cite the "written rule prohibiting" (your words) their action.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-10-2017 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
Quote:
Nobody said it's NOT the NFL's business to enforce. But anyone who's worked for a corporation knows that you have no LEGAL RIGHTS to violate any code of conduct that exists in your company. You don't get to disrupt meetings, yell stuff out, refuse to work, denigrate your company (ie at the phone company on the phone with customers) and about 100 examples I can give eyou.

That is NOT protected by the First Amendment which was the claim made that I was answering.

Let Me Google That For You
Yeah, no written rule in the NFL prohibiting the taking of a knee during the anthem.

Roger Goodell just sent a letter to the owners stating: "We believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem."

The key word is believe. Good luck with arbitration if they suspend a player. Also, many stadiums are owned by the public and can be considered public property.

When Starbucks employees unionize and get a collectively bargained agreement with individual contracts you might have a point.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
The fact that people had to ask Kapernick why he took a knee proves that his protest did in no way equate to what he was trying to accomplish. A picket line in front of the local police station with signs or even a holding signs outside the stadium would have worked but no they chose to disrespect our national anthem and those watching or attending the game. Those people were not there for them to spew their political beliefs upon them.
I have boycotted the NFL and I will boycott any pro sports that disrespect the national anthem or the viewers. We are not there to listen to your beliefs we are there for the game.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
If you're seriously saying the President isn't "running the government" you haven't been paying attention. Just yesterday he reversed Mr. Obama's signature Clean Power Plan rule.

Further information is available at:

Daily Press Briefings

1600 Daily: Everything White House

White House Blog: What's Happening

West Wing Reads

Oh, and:

Trump is Right, the NFL Really Does Get ‘Massive Tax Breaks’

Hope that helps!
What that's it? No tax reform, Obamacare repeal, new budget. Those are the actual things that will move the needle and make some sort of difference in most American's lives. Not feuding with celebs, athletes and other politicians.

Last edited by Ro2113; 10-10-2017 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates