Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times

Advertisements

If the NFL goes away, it will be a slow process. Most players are willing to risk a possible health time bomb that may show up in 20-30 years for millions of dollars. There is a strong fan base now, but I can see the popularity fading in one or two generations.

There is so much competition for eyeballs and time. Maybe another sport will take its place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:06 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
If the NFL goes away, it will be a slow process. Most players are willing to risk a possible health time bomb that may show up in 20-30 years for millions of dollars. There is a strong fan base now, but I can see the popularity fading in one or two generations.

There is so much competition for eyeballs and time. Maybe another sport will take its place.
Don't hold your breathe.

Ok first of all the NFL will rake in 14 Billion that's a B in revenue this year. the commissioner is projecting a 25 billion stream in a few years.

Why do you see the popularity fading? LOL the green bay packers have a 30 year waiting list for season tickets.

Now I do think that the NFL will have to eventually address the long term health issues for it's players but there is definitely no shortage of folks willing to play the game. College football is insanely popular and profitable.

Look how long we've been trying to get soccer popular in this country.

Sorry I can't foresee two generations down but my sons (the next generations) and all their friends??/ die hard Eagles fans.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:24 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
The thing that will make it fade away are the mothers of today that won't let their kids play football out of fear they might get hurt. We might see a reduction in talent but there will always be those who are willing to risk their health. The NFL for many is a way out of a bad situation and a path to riches.

The NFL is like modern day Gladiator games and the fans love it. The games are unscripted dramas with fast paced explosive excitement every time that ball is hiked. Hollywood couldn't have written the improbable epic comeback of the Patriots this past SuperBowl.

As long as the fans keep buying tickets and gear the games will go on and as long as their are skilled players willing to play I will keep watching.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:03 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Don't hold your breathe.

Ok first of all the NFL will rake in 14 Billion that's a B in revenue this year. the commissioner is projecting a 25 billion stream in a few years.

Why do you see the popularity fading? LOL the green bay packers have a 30 year waiting list for season tickets.

Now I do think that the NFL will have to eventually address the long term health issues for it's players but there is definitely no shortage of folks willing to play the game. College football is insanely popular and profitable.

Look how long we've been trying to get soccer popular in this country.

Sorry I can't foresee two generations down but my sons (the next generations) and all their friends??/ die hard Eagles fans.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but its not the same the country over. Soccer is becoming much more popular. And, increasingly, kids are choosing to retain soccer through high school - especially in more diverse areas. In addition, soccer is increasing in popularity whereas football seems to have plateaued, and indeed dropping off slightly among younger demographics. NFL viewership is declining. More and more Universities are offering soccer programs.

As for the commercial game - the NFL will continue to be big business for years. In contrast the MLS will really only get further up if it starts to have a league system with multiple divisions.

I know people think the NFL is impregnable but some signs of decline are already creeping in. Of course football is very strongly entrenched - but to even think its viewership would be going down and soccer playing increasing ten years ago you'd be labeled a loony. If you go to the parks and fields in our northeast town at the weekends its full of soccer and baseball - football games are very in the minority.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:13 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
One needs to look at NASCAR. I know it was pretty much, very regional in it's popularity, now seats aren't being filled. Didn't take 2 generations.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:39 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Humans have an natural need for "blood sport" even without seeing the blood.

Even in the animal kingdom there is a natural need for combat. It's all about.......survival of the fittest , competition for hunting territory and resources.

The demise of football can't come soon enough for me. Today football is all about the money which is not a good enough reason to want to die. Those that play pro-football could never get paid enough to throw their life away for a few pieces of silver.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:01 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
It's a sport for thugs and hoodlums. Nothing else to say for it.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:03 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I've always enjoyed football, but, I'm reaching the point where I would far rather watch college football than the NFL. Frankly, with so many games and so much media hype and assumed bravado among players, I'm also losing interest in college football.

Spending 4-hours to watch a 1-2 hour game (to pay for all the commercials and front-end vamping needed to pay those $10-$30M salaries) is not for me. I record all the games and watch nothing live -avoiding 2+ hours of commercials. Even so, there are often so many (recorded) breaks that I fast-forward to the 4th quarter and avoid 3-hours of 'fluff')

Paying $100-$200 per seat, plus parking etc., for a single, live game ticket in a stadium where one can barely see the field and must watch most of the game on the jumbo-tron ...is not for me.

College football seems like more of a sport, while the NFL is more like a business. College players seem to play with passionate abandon, while NFL players often seem to play with a fear of losing a paycheck. Who can really relate to a bunch of guys playing a game for $10-$30M per year ... particularly when the public persona of many reflects such a brash sense of entitlement??

I no longer care what NFL teams win or lose -- It used to seem like there was a city or state loyalty, but, with teams regularly moving from city-to-city -- and trading players and coaches with even greater regularity, it's difficult to feel a sense of identity.

If the NFL is losing popularity, it's probably because others feel as I do.

Last edited by jghorton; 09-16-2017 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 07:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Participation in youth football is dropping. I see high school and college football slowly disappearing. The NFL will survive along with about 100 college programs. 10,500 players are all that is needed for that.

NFL income will drop. TV viewing is dropping, many empty seats so far this season. The next TV contracts will tell. It's hard to grow when you keep pricing out more and more people.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:26 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
NFL lost me when this whole sit/kneel for the anthem BS started with millionaire players comparing the owners to slave owners and the players being slaves.

Bunch of self entitlement going on there. You play a game and make more money in a single season than us "common" folk make in a lifetime. You can't appreciate that?

If the NFL died, I'm pretty sure everyone would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates