Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 PM

635 posts, read 784,039 times

Advertisements

So right now white folks are considered the majority.minoritys are offered special treatment for many things. Education and job points and bank loans and other things to help them out.
So, I keep hearing how Hispanics will be the majority in the future with rising birth rates. How many people think whites being a minority well get any special treatment?
I say this all in jest since I don't see any kind of special treatment coming my way.We all live in a strange world where people are treated differently. Funny since I consider us all equal under our Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
All of this alleged special treatment doesn't exist in the areas and at the levels people believe.

This thread is nothing more than a racist claim that white people are victims.

Look at the world. Who is running government, the media, and most companies? What special treatment do you think you white people will need?

All people are legally equal under the Constitution but that hasn't always been the case. Everyday, there are new stories of blatant racism.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:39 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I want echo what charly gal said.

What "special treatment" minorities get is not just because they are minorities. It is because some minorities have been historically held down/held back. Whites, as a group, have not been held back; how could they be...they controlled pretty much everything (and just in case you think that's not true -- out of 43 presidents, 1 was Black; there have been 30 non-white senators out of 1,973; and on and on).

Old 01-09-2018, 08:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All of this alleged special treatment doesn't exist in the areas and at the levels people believe.

Look at the world. Who is running government, the media, and most companies? What special treatment do you think you white people will need?

All people are legally equal under the Constitution but that hasn't always been the case. Everyday, there are new stories of blatant racism.
When you speak of "blatant racism", you are speaking of the racism against the white race, right? I was reading a post earlier where the person stated that she looks forward to the day that the white race dies off. Now if that was reversed.....OMG......all hell would break loose.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

What "special treatment" minorities get is not just because they are minorities. It is because some minorities have been historically held down/held back. Whites, as a group, have not been held back; how could they be...they controlled pretty much everything (and just in case you think that's not true -- out of 43 presidents, 1 was Black; there have been 30 non-white senators out of 1,973; and on and on).
In this day and age, EVERYONE has the same opportunities equally. Actually, minorities have more at the expense of the taxpayers. When I was working, the administration would let black people get away with a lot more than whites because they didn't want to be charged with discrimination.

No one is holding minorities back from running for an elected position. Did you ever consider that they don't want to work for the gov't?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Yeah, this thread is clearly over the top. But, underlying it there is a legitimate debate to be had about the appropriateness of having race-based preferences for things like requiting efforts, university admissions, government contracting, SBA loans, etc.

Personally, I support most of these things in a limited way. But, I think that people who support diversity efforts for disadvantaged minorities, should also advocate and support class-based preferences for disadvantaged whites people. The moral case is just as strong (not all whites have equal opportunities) and it helps defuse some of political tensions around these issues.

If you look at the elite jobs that skew white, you tend to find they also skew towards whites from privileged backgrounds, not a random cross section of white people. I think my side (liberals) often gloss over this point at their peril.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:33 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, this thread is clearly over the top. But, underlying it there is a legitimate debate to be had about the appropriateness of having race-based preferences for things like requiting efforts, university admissions, government contracting, SBA loans, etc.

Personally, I support most of these things in a limited way. But, I think that people who support diversity efforts for disadvantaged minorities, should also advocate and support class-based preferences for disadvantaged whites people. The moral case is just as strong (not all whites have equal opportunities) and it helps defuse some of political tensions around these issues.

If you look at the elite jobs that skew white, you tend to find they also skew towards whites from privileged backgrounds, not a random cross section of white people. I think my side (liberals) often gloss over this point at their peril.
I can see your point, but I think one of the issues is that the type of class-based treatment you're talking about is far more difficult to pinpoint. In my field of education, I saw many examples of how a teacher would be hired because they had gone to (as one example) Harvard, as compared to Bowie State. And, you have to remember that for many decades unions worked for lower and middle class whites; and right now that's not in style. Keep in mind that while it's not proportional, about half of all welfare goes to whites.

I think you also have to keep in mind that most of the students who get various scholarships to colleges are actually white students. Yes, there are specialized scholarships for minorities, but white students receive more than three-quarters of all merit-based scholarship and grants, even though they represent less than two-thirds of college students. White students are 40%more likely to win private scholarships than minority students.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 AM

343 posts, read 306,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

I agree with you, I think there should be more programs and scholarships helping simply low-income people regardless of race, although I'm pretty sure there are plenty already.

I'd love to know where all the special treatment for minorities is at though. Maybe with police paying more "attention" to you, is that considered special?

Old 01-10-2018, 07:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Can I rep this 1,000 times? OP conflated two entirely separate ideas. "Majority" merely implies quantity. If and when the white population becomes a "minority" will they cease to maintain control? I think not. Come on now.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:09 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I agree with you, I think there should be more programs and scholarships helping simply low-income people regardless of race, although I'm pretty sure there are plenty already.

I'd love to know where all the special treatment for minorities is at though. Maybe with police paying more "attention" to you, is that considered special?
I think this is the problem..the "special programs" for minorities are tangible while the disadvantages are intangible.

Affirmative action type programs are exaggerated..but are real. There are SBA loan programs and government contracting programs exclusively for minorities. In addition, many elite colleges use race as a factor for admission. Many companies have specific development programs specifically for members of underrepresented demo groups.

Now the flip side, is the disadvantages to being a minority are very real..but largely informal (sometimes unintentional) on average type things. An employer may favor white applicants over black applicants on average across time. But they are very unlikely to have a formal policy outlining preferential treatment for white people.

Now obviously conservatives (and many white people) ignore this 2nd part..and that is a major source of our social polarization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates