Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:35 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,670 times

Advertisements

Is cool guys, just wanting to see your insights into this

I mean I even ask myself what other country has done a controversey over the anthem or gender studies classes..

Go figure.

We also have the most subcultures out there.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:55 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,243,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first thread in 3 years. I was prohibited for starting an account under-age. I also circumvented under some other accounts.

Anyways, back to the topic. As a foreigner[Was born in Mexico, raised in Argentina as a newborn, in Mexico from ages 2 to 5, Texas since 2008, anyways]. My exposure to American culture has led me into thinking if we are the most socially divisive, tribalistic and greedy culture. Just look at the current political and social climate in our country to use as an example...
Are we the most socially divisive, tribalistic and greedy culture? Not even close.

In the historical context. If we look at life in America in the year 2018 we are living in one of the most peaceful, equal, harmonious and just periods in human history. Matter of fact life is so good and people are so comfortable and well off they can spend their time online arguing whether a tweet is offensive or why there aren't more women directors in Hollywood. What we have now are people with no knowledge or experience on what struggle and hardship actually are. There is anything Americans in the 21st century are guilty of its a fundamental lack of perspective.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
My exposure to American culture has led me into thinking if we are the most socially divisive, tribalistic and greedy culture. Just look at the current political and social climate in our country to use as an example...
A lot of what you're describing is media hype. However, the reality "on the ground" is very different.

Overall, people in America are pretty content. The labor force is at or near full employment. The stock market is soaring. The crime rate is lower than it's been in decades. There are hardly any mass protests or demonstrations in the streets.

It is a good time to be in America right now.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A lot of what you're describing is media hype. However, the reality "on the ground" is very different.

Overall, people in America are pretty content. The labor force is at or near full employment. The stock market is soaring. The crime rate is lower than it's been in decades. There are hardly any mass protests or demonstrations in the streets.

It is a good time to be in America right now.
Eh, that doesn't bother me. I am worried that soon as I hit college, a riot or some politics may be played into our campus.

Apperantly, from what I've heard. 90% of colleges in America are extremely liberal.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:07 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Eh, that doesn't bother me. I am worried that soon as I hit college, a riot or some politics may be played into our campus.

Apperantly, from what I've heard. 90% of colleges in America are extremely liberal.
It's true that colleges are politicized. They have been that way for decades. Comes with the territory.

However, it is mainly the humanities majors that are more affected by the political environment. If you do STEM, then you won't have to worry about it as much. They don't have time for the political nonsense.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's true that colleges are politicized. They have been that way for decades. Comes with the territory.

However, it is mainly the humanities majors that are more affected by the political environment. If you do STEM, then you won't have to worry about it as much. They don't have time for the political nonsense.
I heard that too.

Really, I do have another question: Do you know any other western cultures that you would consider socially conservative in comparison to the US?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
We're absolutely not one of the most tribalistic cultures. In fact, psychological studies have generally found that Americans are the most individualist people on earth. That is to say, we're most likely to think about our own needs and "self-actualization" ahead of those of our family and our community.

Most greedy is a different question entirely. Indeed, tribalistic and greedy are in some ways set in opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.