Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 05:32 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,542,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Kelly Willing to Step Down Over Accused Aide, Officials Say

Forgive me, but I don't know what Rob Porter's nastiness as a husband or significant other has to do with his skill on the job. It seems that "sensitivity" has overriden other considerations for evaluating our elected and appointed officials. I can see its importance for a chief elected leader; they are supposed to set an example for others. But the people can make that decision. I can see its importance for, say, a doctor in direct physical contact with young gymnasts.

But we seem to have reached a period now where merit matters little and political and behavioral characteristics overrides (I don't want to say "trumps") all else. If we found out that Jonas Salk was a misogynist would that diminish the value of the polio vaccine? Would we have deprived him of the use of a lab at the University of Pittsburgh to do his work?

Ty Cobb was a notoriously nasty individual. Would we have deprived him of a spot on the Detroit Tigers? Alexander Hamilton was notoriously unfaithful to his wife. Need I say more?

I think we should balance what a person has to offer with their negatives as a person. And not go to absolutes of keeping people with bad aspects out of all employment, not to say public life.
Beating on your spouse is a crime. Abuse is a testament to your character. And it really depends on the job. He works at the White House. He's held to a higher standard. If he were a priest, a cop or a family counselor, same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 05:43 PM

35,038 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Beating on your spouse is a crime. Abuse is a testament to your character. And it really depends on the job. He works at the White House. He's held to a higher standard. If he were a priest, a cop or a family counselor, same issue.
Read Post #30.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:53 PM

50,780 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Tell me what you think of this story.

One hot night in July 1969 a Senator goes to a party with a woman not his wife. Both get drunk. The Senator, driving her to a boat launch, drives off the side of a bridge without guardrails. The senator in question didn't get removed until August 2009, but his removal from public life was at that point permanent.
You are trying to turn this into a Democrats are just as bad (or worse) than Republicans squabble (proving once again that you're no Democrat). I don't care which party they are in. Same rules for Democrats as Republicans. Which is why, during the Monica Lewinsky "crisis", I favored Clinton resigning.

And just to let you know, at the time of the Chappaquiddick incident, I was a registered Republican and had just cast my first vote -- for Dick Nixon.

But to sum up, the U.S. Senate and the United States would have continued to operate with or without Ted Kennedy, just as today we continue to operate without Al Franken. I have never been enamored with the Kennedy family, but the people of Massachusetts seem to be. Sorry, I lived my life in NYS, Maryland, Virginia, and now Colorado. I couldn't vote for or against a Kennedy.

Last edited by phetaroi; 02-10-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You are trying to turn this into a Democrats are just as bad (or worse) than Republicans squabble (proving once again that you're no Democrat). I don't care which party they are in. Same rules for Democrats as Republicans. Which is why, during the Monica Lewinsky "crisis", I favored Clinton resigning.

And just to let you know, at the time of the Chappaquiddick incident, I was a registered Republican and had just cast my first vote -- for Dick Nixon.

But to sum up, the U.S. Senate and the United States would have continued to operate with or without Ted Kennedy, just as today we continue to operate without Al Franken. I have never been enamored with the Kennedy family, but the people of Massachusetts seem to be. Sorry, I lived my life in NYS, Maryland, Virginia, and now Colorado. I couldn't vote for or against a Kennedy.
I am a Democrat. And I said nothing about any Kennedy.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:40 PM

13,707 posts, read 7,984,033 times
Like it or not, fair or unfair the Trump administration is never going to get a fair shake from many in the mainstream media. They hate him as do many Americans. Not dislike... but flat out hate.

Rob Porter should never have been hired and you can bet everyone in Trump administration no matter how far down the ladder is fair game.

Politics haven't been this ugly since the late 1960`s.

We are truly a country divided. And I wouldn't place all the blame on Trump.

The Obama admin. and identity politics did little to heal the country.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:15 PM

50,780 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
So you're telling me that when you posted: "One hot night in July 1969 a Senator goes to a party with a woman not his wife. Both get drunk. The Senator, driving her to a boat launch, drives off the side of a bridge without guardrails. The senator in question didn't get removed until August 2009, but his removal from public life was at that point permanent.", that you weren't talking about Ted Kennedy?

Old 02-11-2018, 05:15 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Like it or not, fair or unfair the Trump administration is never going to get a fair shake from many in the mainstream media. They hate him as do many Americans. Not dislike... but flat out hate.

Rob Porter should never have been hired and you can bet everyone in Trump administration no matter how far down the ladder is fair game.

Politics haven't been this ugly since the late 1960`s.

We are truly a country divided. And I wouldn't place all the blame on Trump.

The Obama admin. and identity politics did little to heal the country.
Ok so if as you say the main street media is not going to give trump "a fair shake" how about the administration STOP giving them fuel??

How long are you going to blame the "media"?? The "media" did not hire Porter. The Trump administration did. The "media" did not insult other nations. "Trump" did. The "media" does not tweet stupidness night and day. The President does that all by himself.

You say most of America "hates" Trump? Tell the President stop giving most of America a reason to hate him.

Hiring someone who punches women and then trying to sell me he's a swell guy is NOT the media's fault.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
So you're telling me that when you posted: "One hot night in July 1969 a Senator goes to a party with a woman not his wife. Both get drunk. The Senator, driving her to a boat launch, drives off the side of a bridge without guardrails. The senator in question didn't get removed until August 2009, but his removal from public life was at that point permanent.", that you weren't talking about Ted Kennedy?
That's a (correct) conclusion you drew but this thread is not about Chappaquidick.

I'll give you another example. Branch Rickey was a baseball executive with the Brooklyn Dodgers. He was a deeply conservative man originally from Kentucky, a former slave state. That distinction mattered in 1947 when he brought Jackie Robinson into baseball. Would any possible bigoted statements in his past have precluded him from his role in the Dodgers?

And to the point also Martin Luther King's personal life was far from perfect. Do we still admire him, even give his birthday a holiday? And yes, he was not great with his wife. Should that matter to his legacy?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:58 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Tell me what you think of this story.

One hot night in July 1969 a Senator goes to a party with a woman not his wife. Both get drunk. The Senator, driving her to a boat launch, drives off the side of a bridge without guardrails. The senator in question didn't get removed until August 2009, but his removal from public life was at that point permanent.
Quote:

Quote:
Oh now, no reason to be coy - you're on Great Debates! Now tell us, what point were you too afraid to make? - that would help move this argument along?

You're right the thread isn't about Chappaquidick but don't be disingenuous since you ARE using it as an example in your argument. First of all, Porter is no MLKJ - I have no idea what his accomplishments are that they should have any role in saving his reputation. And people are judged by the times they live in - I guess that is his bad luck and also that he is obviously behind the times to think this is acceptable behavior. While hindsight is 20/20, when looking back, yes, I want ALL the information - good and bad so my opinion will be based on that. Like Bill Cosby - sickening - does that change my opinion of him - yes, and it should.

I don't have to accept EVERYTHING someone does to say that they did SOME good and SOME evil...the good doesn't erase the evil and the bad doesn't mean the good never happened. And even if I choose to forgive (in some cases) it doesn't mean I've forgotten or that it isn't part of what they'll be judged on.

Last edited by reneeh63; 02-11-2018 at 07:08 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 07:29 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
I enjoy how people will use others bad behavior to justify there own. That is called a race to the bottom.
So the correlation I guess, is since MLKJ cheated on Coretta then hey, forget about a persons conduct??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates