Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:39 PM

626 posts, read 626,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think the idea centered around the notion that compared to many countries (especially prior to this century) the US had a very high degree of upward mobility and no legal barriers to lifestyle (with the notable exception of race based laws).

It didn't mean that anyone could manifest the lifestyle they wanted by sheer will. Hard work was considered part of the equation unless one was fortunate enough to be an heir to a fortune.

Of course, the US is not exceptional in this regard anymore. Slipped a few in the rankings, in fact. But it is still a country that many come to in order to convert their drive and effort into something greater than they could have accomplished in their home country.
+1 with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Why do Americans say that in the US you have the freedom to live any type of life you want to live? Do you really think this is true? In my opinion only the wealthy in the US really get to live the way they want, everyone else is just trying to follow some script.
Yeah, I see a lot of people with this mindset that they will be wealthy someday. Ask them are they personally a millionaire yet, or if not when do intend to be one, what’s there 5 Year plan to achieve that - At which point they will say they are happy with there current Job and having lots of money is not important to them.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:05 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There was once what was called the American Dream but for all practical purposes it's died as the premise used to be that if you found a job opportunity where you worked hard and exceeded expectations that those talents would be recognized and rewarded as you climbed the career ladder. The incentive isn't there anymore for many as they watch their hard work and superior job performance exceeded by nepotism, corporate politics rewarding the lazy and/or devious as well as the younger and less skilled who willingly work for 2/3 the salary.
That's defeatist and its not really true. Those things happen sometimes, surely, but they aren't pervasive.
Lots of people realize their goals and objectives of success. The American people created the most upwardly mobile society on the planet, and the recent apparent declines in that metric are all due to the impacts of incompatible and unnecessary immigration and the overpopulation crisis that has created.

Importing the worlds poor has sullied the reputation of the US as an upwardly mobile society because when you import poor unskilled, illiterate, uneducated people from the Third World who have already gotten an enormous boost in living standards just from being in the US, (and thus less likely to strive much further, any further gains requiring immense actual effort, that tends to depress your mobility scores.)

Old 03-01-2018, 02:20 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:

Why do people say you have total freedom to be whatever you want to be?
Because saying that you have total freedom to be whatever you are able
and willing to work to create isn't as pleasant.

Quote:
Why do Americans say that in the US you have the freedom to live any type of life you want to live?
The freedom to try to earn enough to pay for any type of life. Better?

Quote:
In my opinion only the wealthy in the US really get to live the way they want...
Just like the wealthy anywhere.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:27 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Why do Americans say that in the US you have the freedom to live any type of life you want to live? Do you really think this is true? In my opinion only the wealthy in the US really get to live the way they want, everyone else is just trying to follow some script.
There Are few laws or customs preventing your rise.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:35 PM

510 posts, read 448,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
There Are few laws or customs preventing your rise.
And even fewer allowing for it.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:20 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I do think that for MOST people in the U.S., it is possible to be wealthy IF you are smart and want it badly enough to continue to have the drive to succeed no matter what obstacles you encounter.

However, although this does not have to do with wealth, the subject of this thread touches on one of my pet peeves going WAY back to my childhood -- and that was being told that I could be anything I wanted to be.

Oh, yeah? Well, how could I ever hope to be a high fashion model with my 5'4" frame and my congenitally thick legs? (Thank goodness I never actually had that ambition, lol.) I truly do think that is very wrong to say "you can be anything you want to be" to ANYONE unless the person is very artistic, athletic, intelligent, ambitious AND physically very attractive. And, of course, it certainly does not hurt to be born to wealthy parents!

Old 03-01-2018, 04:27 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
I think you are a bit off the mark.. maybe you meant the oft-repeated hackneyed, feel-good, bs phrase 'You can be ANYTHING you want to be'!.

It is supposed to offer hope to those who feel hopeless, but everyone sees through it.

And of course, by extension, you can't live any lifestyle you desire.
Only the lifestyle you can afford.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:30 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Well, to be honest, only the extremely wealthy by birth, luck, or homemakers can live any type of life ...
Most of the homemakers I know are well-educated women who are actually sacrificing their ability to earn above average incomes & future social security, for the purposes of providing uncompensated caregiving.

Not just “staying home with the kids” for a few years but actual caregiving for elderly or disabled family members.

Given that the household “standards for self-sufficiency” are based on a two-adult household having two incomes; either the one employed adult is making well over double the average income ... or neither of them will be “living the dream”.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:15 PM

343 posts, read 306,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
That's defeatist and its not really true. Those things happen sometimes, surely, but they aren't pervasive.
Lots of people realize their goals and objectives of success. The American people created the most upwardly mobile society on the planet, and the recent apparent declines in that metric are all due to the impacts of incompatible and unnecessary immigration and the overpopulation crisis that has created.

Importing the worlds poor has sullied the reputation of the US as an upwardly mobile society because when you import poor unskilled, illiterate, uneducated people from the Third World who have already gotten an enormous boost in living standards just from being in the US, (and thus less likely to strive much further, any further gains requiring immense actual effort, that tends to depress your mobility scores.)
In all fairness in my experience many multi-generational Americans I have met seem to not really try also, maybe even more so than the immigrants that I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates