Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 AM

764 posts, read 94,714 times

Advertisements

No, it is not true. It’s a lie told to encourgage complaceny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 03:28 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I think the idea is that the system is set up to where you have the potential to become anything without having to be born into wealth or royalty. That has proven to be true in many cases, but those have failed or haven't achieved it yet often say the system is broken.
Working for somebody else's corporation or relying on government regulations and programs is NOT the way to live just any type of life you want to live.
Relying on those, you can have a good life. You can go on vacations. You can put a little away for retirement.
You can live that sort of American dream.
Half the battle there isn't the system, it's having enough personal responsibility to avoid materialism, excess, and houses that are unnecessarily big or in overpriced parts of the country.
Living however you want? Well, that's all on you and your ability to do so. If that involves money, it isn't easy and I'm not sure it should be. If we all won the equivalent of the powerball, human nature would get ugly, quickly.
As for me, I've yet to earn anything close to a six figure salary. I'm fine with that. I own a home, but I'd be just as happy in a van down by the river. More fishing, less mowing, and a much smaller roof to repair.
What part of the country is not over priced thats also not a **** hole? This is not tonuge in cheek, I have literally spent hundreds of hours looking on google earth and real estate sites to compare areas not in tornado ally or massive flood zones where you have a reasonable chance to get a good job that can finance the building of a business.

All of these single family homes are in excess of 300k (of which half or more than half of that cost is the raw land value), once in a blue moon you might find something for very slightly under. I wish there was some kind of guild or group to work cooperatively to figure this stuff out. I am all about self sufficency, I work on all my own stuff make my own stuff etc. But I have not figured out the real estate dilema short of leaving the USA, real estate where you can make a good living not in a **** hole is grossly over priced and there is no way around it. I cant learn how to build my own piece of the surface of the earth lol.

I have been meeting more and more people that are opting for the van life (although without the engineering experience necessary to do it comfortably lol).

Old 03-03-2018, 03:35 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
People do have the freedom to be what they want. It doesn't mean it will go over well with others. If you want to dress in a chicken costume all the time, it might not work well wherever you go. And your freedoms of choice might not be successful enough to continue in the long haul. If you want to be a bum and not do anything, you could, but will likely struggle and face issues, unless you have lots of money. Regardless, the freedoms are still there. It's the results that will vary, from person to person and situation to situation.
This is false, there are alot of things that are illegal to manufacture and sell without VERY costly permitting.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:19 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
If you work hard enough at life and at school I think most careers are attainable. I’m not talking about careers you need a physical talent for such as s singer, but if one wants to be a Doctor, Engineer, Teacher, CPA, business owner, etc. It’s attainable!

Old 03-03-2018, 09:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
My grandparents used to always say "they can never take a good education away from you, no matter what kind of trouble you get in.

Although this really is not accurate, while they cannot take the education away, they CAN take your ability to get a job, based on that education, away, so in reality, they can make an education worthless to possess.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
What do people want to be? The world changes. Change with it and people should be okay.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:53 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
I think that the freedom to do what you choose applies to all people, however, you have to pursue it because no one is going to give it to you. You have the opportunity to pursue your dreams as long as they do not infringe upon the freedom and liberty of others. In other words, if your dream is to become a criminal, then expect that to be short lived because it infringes upon others freedom and liberty. If you dream is to become a doctor, lawyer, engineer ect., then that is something your going to have to work at, no one is going to give it to you. So, yes, you do have the freedom to be what you choose.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:36 AM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
Much of your life is decided before birth. It is based on your genetics and the decisions of your parents, their parents and their foresight. I am where I am now at least 50% due to the foresight of my grandparents and parents. The other 50% is through my own decisions after the age of 16 (what college to attend, what to major in, who to associate with, subsequently where to work and so on...)

The reality is life is on a track circuit and people start out further or more behind based on the team they are on and the performance of their teammates. So your family and friends in part determine your success. Unfortunately America romanticizes exceptions to the rule. Usain Bolt can be on the worst team and it won't matter. His team will win the race unless some other big names are on the competition.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
In the U.S., one has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. In the case of the latter, 'pursuit' and 'catching' are two different things.

Certainly some have more wealth and opportunity than others, but, motivation, personal initiative and focus are greater factors in success.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:17 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I was taught by my parents that if I applied myself to what I wanted to be, then anything is possible. This was also reinforced by my public school education. To a great extent, this sentiment turned out be true for myself. I taught the same principle to my son. He took this attitude to heart, and he too, is successful. I hope he will instill the same notions in his children. If not, I as a grandparent certainly will.

I think this is the brilliance of America. If you put in the work, you will be successful. There is a caveat in my thoughts however. If you are a minority, you will probably have to work a lot harder than I or my children did. But that's not to say your dreams are impossible. Work hard and " play the game" and you too will be successful.
You forgot "lick the arses."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates