Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:21 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But how would you know if they have a weapon?

Yeah, it could be a cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Nothing I own is worth a life, however, if they come into my home while I am there, I am going to assume my life is at risk as I am sure not going to have a chance to interview them. If they have a weapon of any kind, I will assume that is for deadly force against me.
I agree 100% with you. If you break into my home I am going to assume you mean to harm me. I will shoot if I fear for my life in that situation.

I will never understand how innocent people are arrested, jailed and charged for defending themselves in that situation. How dare those a hole criminals even assume they have any right to come into my life with the intention of harming, killing or even robbing me. And the "boohoo, my baby wasn't even carrying a gun" families make me sick in the above situation.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:06 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
If the perp is out the door, you cannot shoot them. Inside the store and they still present a threat, you can fire.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:07 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
People who have the right to own, need no "permission" to defend their rights.
People who do not have the right to own, need "permission" to defend their privileges.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Yeah, it could be a cell phone.
You break into a house, you're intent will be assumed you intend to steal or cause harm. Either way, the homeowner gets to make the choice.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:09 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many states it's assumed that if they are in your home, they are in your home to hurt you. It's even more so if they are in your home at night or if you are elderly. Does not matter if they have a gun or a knife. They might just have a rope with the intent to rape you. Rape can warrant death also.

Rule of thumb in states like TX is don't do home invasion. Armed or unarmed, it can get you killed.
Yep. I don't need to see it, I would assume it, if my house was broken into. I also wouldn't shoot if they retreated when they saw my gun. I would have them on my cameras and would do everything in my power to make sure they were caught if they did retreat.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:07 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
If someone comes in waving a gun and you reasonably believe them a threat that should be enough. By the time the gun is actually pointed at you - then it may be too late for you. If some open-carry freak wants to come in my store carrying it in his hands - well that's a chance he's gonna have to take.

The lack of gun common sense in this country is the worst, not helped by the 2nd amendment's complete failure of omission regarding even the most basic training.
Because in the 1700's most people were trained in the use and maintenance of fire arms from childhood, from shooting at wolves and fox's trying to get in the hen house to shooting snakes in the outhouse.

The only reason we need training today is because our environment is tamed to the point that we don't need guns in our everyday lives like we did when the 2nd amendment was ratified. and today we pretty much only need them for protection from 2 legged animals.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
There's lots of stories out there, but at what point is it ok to defend your store or business? People will hear of the one beer...but how many times has this gone on? At what point does an owner take a more active defense against a problem, or a chronic problem?
It's okay at any point.

A clear and convincing message needs to be sent that crime will not be tolerated.

To that end, for those people convicted of a second felony offense, they need to be stripped of citizenship and deported. The cost of crime is simply over-burdening financially and the sooner you start expelling criminals from the US, the sooner you can spend more money on education and infrastructure.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:52 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure I agree with killing someone over money, even if they are attempting to steal it, its currency, NO amount is equal to a human life, ultimately it can all be replaced....at least thats what we were taught
It is the criminal that has equated his life to currency, and I'm OK with that. He is gambling with that currency. Sometimes, it works out for the criminal, and sometimes it doesn't.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,891,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It is the criminal that has equated his life to currency, and I'm OK with that. He is gambling with that currency. Sometimes, it works out for the criminal, and sometimes it doesn't.
Maybe they should remember: The house always wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates