Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 11:36 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It would be good for people to learn when they are young that stealing is wrong.
Can I shoot people who fail to follow driving laws? If not I'm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 12:04 AM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Can I shoot people who fail to follow driving laws? If not I'm out.
I can certainly understand why you’d want to.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:28 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That is a strange conclusion to come to, based on your own history of thievery.
Quit being a bully and stick to the content of the discussion.

Anyone who claims they stole anything...anything...is just being disingenuous. But as one other poster suggested, if stealing makes homicide justifiable, why don't we just go back to the days of vigilantism? I thought we had gotten beyond that in this country. We have police departments and we have legal systems. It's what keeps the country under control. I'm just not much into Stormfront thinking.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:45 AM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quit being a bully and stick to the content of the discussion.
I’m not being a bully. You are the one that claimed that everyone steals. That would include you.

Quote:
Anyone who claims they stole anything...anything...is just being disingenuous. But as one other poster suggested, if stealing makes homicide justifiable, why don't we just go back to the days of vigilantism? I thought we had gotten beyond that in this country. We have police departments and we have legal systems. It's what keeps the country under control. I'm just not much into Stormfront thinking.
Storefront is all about white supremacy. That has nothing to do with this thread.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:32 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Agree.. Where it gets out of hand is some store owner who sees someone stealing a bag of chips and pulls a gun and shoots them. Which has happened in the past, no doubt will happen again. I believe in those instances, the store owners/shooter was prosecuted. Rightfully so.

Someone points a gun at you, you're pretty much justified in shooting them before they can shoot you.

I believe there's even been a few cases where police have been shot executing 'no-knock' warrants and the subject of the warrant (or whoever happened to be there at the time and shot the police) was acquitted.. I actually agree with that as well.. Someone busts down your door.. You've got the right to shoot them. Once they announce they are the police.. Rules change.
Do the rules change? Anyone can yell out that they are the police, I am pretty sure that in a no knock warrent the police take all the risk. If the cops dont present a badge and a warrent and allow you to examine it they are on thin ice.

The angle with a no knock warrent is they are confident they can subdue you, if they cant its their a$$. I would kill the whole swat team if I had the means. And of course if you have the means to do that then what exactly are they going to do about it? Send in the national gaurd?

Old 04-07-2018, 06:01 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
That is really an argument for gun safes and trigger locks honestly.
I disagree. That is really an argument for gun safety training for all children. ALL children, everywhere!
Many of us grew up in a home where the guns were in a glass fronted gun cabinet, and the ammunition was in a drawer in the bottom of the cabinet. There were few, if any, school shootings, and very few firearm accidents. There were no gun safes, and no trigger locks. We didn't touch Grandpa's or Daddy's guns. Never, not ever! We knew what the result would be, and we avoided that consequence as much as possible. But then, by age 10 or so, many of us were highly skilled shooters due to the Federal Director of Civilian Marksmanship affiliated rifle clubs. By age 12 many of us had our very own .22 rifle!

Old 04-07-2018, 06:34 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Whatever the Law allows!
In Montana, the unwanted invasion of an occupied building can, by law, be a death sentence, if one of the occupants so desires and has the capability (a quite likely scenario).
We don't see very many such invasions...
What qualifies as an invasion in a store or other public facility? I would think that applies to someone's home versus any occupied building?

Old 04-07-2018, 06:38 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Do the rules change? Anyone can yell out that they are the police, I am pretty sure that in a no knock warrent the police take all the risk. If the cops dont present a badge and a warrent and allow you to examine it they are on thin ice.

The angle with a no knock warrent is they are confident they can subdue you, if they cant its their a$$. I would kill the whole swat team if I had the means. And of course if you have the means to do that then what exactly are they going to do about it? Send in the national gaurd?
This reminds me of that poor guy who was a victim of "swatting" recently, by some a** from an online game they played. That was much more than no knock warrant, that was shoot to kill the second the guy opens the door, with his family inside. Shoot first, determine he's an innocent man later. This is the problem with an increasingly trigger-happy attitude. I've read several stories where people shot their own children because they thought it was an intruder.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Let’s put it this way. If I owned a convenience store I would have signs on the door stating that the entire premise was on camera. Secondly, I would hire around the clock armed security to set behind the counter.

Now if all of this sounds expensive you would be correct. But I bet the frequency of robbery attempts at my store would be the lowest around. There is no way I would operate a store in a way that gave the advantage of violence to the punks.

I’ve often wondered why the cashier areas of these convenience stores wasn’t enclosed in bullet proof glass.
I don't think cameras deter anyone. And as for armed security, who's going to pay for that? Most convenience stores pay minimum wage. To pay a security guard to just sit and watch the customers means the other employees would be working for peanuts. Besides, when I was in the store, I WAS the security person.

You'd be surprised at what the clerks are like sometimes. There's a saying about when the cops get a call to a convenience store, they don't know if the clerk or the customer is going to be the victim. I've worked with people who worked in the rougher part of town where they kept broken bottles under the counter for protection and worked in pairs, so one could chase down the thief and the other could continue to ring people up.

We've also had ex-cons working as cashiers. If you're someone who's thinking of making a robbery somewhere, there's safer places to rob than convenience stores, believe me.

I was working a store where someone parked out of view of the store at the business (closed) next door. That's a red flag, so I popped my head out see the car. Turned around and the so-called customer is out of sight. I waited and in about 30 seconds he showed up from where he'd been wandering around the cooler. Just looking for a bathroom he says. Right. I threw him out.

I warned the manager and the day shift the next morning. I came in the next night to find out he'd been wandering around the back area where the office was, which was locked. I warned day shift again. The next morning he came in during a busy time when the manager had come out to help on the registers, and he managed to sneak into the office, which wasn't locked this time, and lifted the previous day's deposit. I was so PO'd.

We had cameras all over the place. Cops had his plate number and video of him from three different times. He was never arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You will appreciate this video: Armed Robber Gets Locked Inside Houston Store, Begs Employee to Let Him Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=oxLdVmGW2Kk
OMG - I've done this. I think I've posted about it before. We had some kids come in and one of them tried to distract me with something. While he was doing this, the other one ran out with some sandwiches he stole.

I always kept the key to the front door in my pocket at night and I just stepped out, locked the door, and called the cops from the outside pay phone. They found the guy in his car up the street, waiting for his friends who were locked in the store.

The cops were just going to cite the guy and let him go, but he was such a smart mouth, they decided to take him to jail instead.

One thing you have to remember though, is if you do lock someone in, they might sue you for false imprisonment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't know if you have a kid, but let's say you do. Let's say he's 12 years old. According to you the 7/11 clerk has a right to shoot him dead for shoplifting a candy bar.
There's another way to do it. A clerk at one of our other 7-11s caught a kid stealing. He noticed the kid had new Nikes. So he told the kid, you either give me your Nikes or call the police on yourself. The kid called the police on himself and I bet he's never stolen anything again.

--------------------------------------------------

For all the talk about having guns in stores, though, the problem is what to do if the robbers come in with their guns already out and pointed at you. I think that mother and daughter team basically just got lucky. They could just as easily have been killed.

If someone comes in already armed, you could have twenty guns behind the register, but they'd be as useless as a water pistol if you can't get to them and use them.

We also used to have kids run up behind us (usual - parents out in lala land ignoring their kids) and while I didn't mind shouting at them to get out from behind the counter, I would have worried a lot about having a loaded gun behind the counter in case some kid grabbed it and ran off with it. I kept the bat up overhead by the register so I could grab that when I needed to. But I can't see keeping a loaded gun out in plain sight the same way. At least, not where I worked.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 04-07-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-07-2018, 07:43 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
I get a kick out of the extreme liberal left view on this topic - "Self defense which results in loss of life is never justified. Just let the crime play out and the police will apprehend the criminal later". Yea right. Look at Chicago, they catch 20% at best. That's one of the reasons it is so bad in Chicago.

Take some time and watch more of these videos on YouTube. You will be shocked to see how fast these events play out. Very scary to say the least.

But no I do not believe deadly force should be used to protect a bag of potato chips. But most often it is more complicated than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates