Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 06:16 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times

Advertisements

Begging has always had a structure. The strongest beggars took the best spots for themselves. The weaker were pushed into alleys and dead-ends. The same happens today with intersections, exit ramps and parking lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Begging has always had a structure. The strongest beggars took the best spots for themselves. The weaker were pushed into alleys and dead-ends. The same happens today with intersections, exit ramps and parking lots.
Like hookers. I imagine there could be violence if someone took the wrong intersection.

Anyone who enables these people is responsible if/when something bad happens.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM

919 posts, read 608,881 times
Panhandling isn't much of a problem here in Aus. Over the years whenever someone asked for money for food I'd buy them a meat pie or sandwich. Although they probably preferred cash, each & every one was grateful for the food.

When I was 15yo to 17yo I was a street-kid on & off, usually crashing in squats. There was a cheeky red-headed girl my age who would go up to people & ask specifically for either $5 or $10; this was in the seventies when $10 was $10. Not once did I see her get knocked back. She would just ask "Can I have $5/$10 please". It intrigued me how she seemed to know when to ask for $5 or $10. When I asked she just shrugged & said "By their face."

In the late 80's early 90's there was a female about 30yo who operated around the city of Sydney, who'd rush up to people in an agitated manner & ask for a gold coin ($1 or $2) If they didn't have a coin she'd spit in their face & go into a psycho tirade. She must've been fairly active because I'd heard the story from a few people.
When she approached me one day, I fixed her with my piercing blues (friends say I've got an excellent psycho stare, lol) without breaking my stride & said gruffly "Sorry, I don't have one." & kept walking. Didn't hear a peep from her.

Sitting in my car one day eating my lunch in the city, I noticed an old bag-lady coming down the street, searching the bins. When she got to some bins near me, she'd pick out food & take a nibble. If it was deemed good she'd wrap it in a dirty wrapper & put it in one of her bags.
And there I was with one leg ham & avocado sandwich & a roast beef & chutney sandwich (before I became a veggie, lol) while watching this poor old thing eating rubbish. Not sure what she'd prefer, I quickly wrapped one half of each sandwich & called her over through the window & said "Would you like a sandwich?" She accepted with a grumbled "Thank-you", inspected what I gave her, put it in her bag & went straight back to eating out of the garbage. Oh well, I just hoped she ate it while it was still fresh.

As for expectations when giving money; I've been a chronic nicotine addict since 12yo. It's always been my habit on pay day to pay my rent then buy my weeks supply of tobacco. If there was money left for food then great. If not, too bad.
Whether it's alcohol, nicotine or opiates, an addict will always buy their drug of choice before buying food.
Using the excuse 'oh they'll just buy grog/cigarettes/drugs if I give them money' is just an excuse not to give. That's each individuals choice but if one chooses not to give at least be honest about it (you're a compassionless tightwad) & not make excuses.
My ultra religious family (& even a couple of work 'mates) would go as far to refuse to buy me cigarettes even when I offered the money. It's such a pompously arrogant attitude.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
If you subsidise it youll get more of it, if you tax it, youll get less.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,591,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I wonder if some of these stories about begging being an “industry†are lies and urban legends used by people to justify their contempt for the poor and unfortunate.

When I see beggars I’m reminded of the story of Saint Martin of Tours. Christians should think about it.
I'm sure the reasons differ for many different people. When I was younger and even more naive I used to offer the bums to go have dinner with them if I was near a restaurant and also hungry. I was taken up a handful of times, but the vast majority of the time it was that they needed money. Of the ones that agreed to dinner, all but one took the food and then left to go back outside.

I also used to order food for our firm each night and would get the leftovers that I could take home when there were some. Some would take those, but not once did someone get the food and then stop begging for food. My ire came with an individual who took an extra sandwich from a nice sandwich place where the partner had to leave unexpectedly. I was going to eat it for lunch the next day. I offered it to the man, he opened the clamshell, looked at it, and threw it on the ground demanding money not this garbage.

What I later learned is that places like 2nd Harvest are far more effective in feeding the homeless and the poor. I traveled a lot then and would collect the small soaps and shampoos for them, as those were in demand. There's a lot of programs to help those that want help.

Panhandlers are the types of people that fell a sob story makes everyone owe them and they should be free from any sort of repercussions or responsibilities to themselves or the area. Essentially they are con artists, and I don't want to support people who lie for a living. Besides, if they truly are homeless and without a plan to become not homeless, what's your $5 going to do? They can't bank it. If they walk around with a bunch of cash, they become a target. They are necessarily in the way of people walking.

Christians should remember that sloth is one of the 7 deadly sins, and not encourage it. They should help their organization to be ready to assist those that are ready to turn the page and get back on track.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:05 PM

5 posts, read 2,259 times
Homelessness is a racket. As are most 501c3's.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:17 PM

326 posts, read 199,360 times
I've given money to one person with a cardboard sign. One.

It was a white male in his 40's maybe that had a cast on one leg with a sign saying he had been out of work and anything would do. I gave him $5. Not sure why... but I believed him. He limped over to my car door and gave a sincere thank you too.

Legit or not.. I dunno. But I feel like I helped him out.

The many other panhandlers I've seen around Seattle metro just haven't convinced me like this guy did.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:06 PM

137 posts, read 100,843 times
It's definitely a racket and the only way to stop it is for people to stop being naive and feeling guilty because they get up and go to work everyday. I get panhandle almost every day because of where I work. At the beginning, I was the typical soft hearted idiot that believed the story. Then as I watched, it was the same people everyday for weeks, months and eventually years, telling some variation of the same story. Nobody ever took the food (even as they told you they hadn't eaten in 2 days). They all want cash. So I took the advice of some very wise people who work with this population and made up some business cards that have the names, phone numbers and email addresses of local food pantries, shelters, clothing rooms, free med8csk, dental and legal services and day labor employers. When they ask for money, I give them a card instead. Some are angry, some confused but one guy looked at me and said "thank you! This is exactly what I needed!" and I didn't see him out there again.

There is a woman at the Walmart in Lewis Center, OH. She's been standing in the Walmart parking lot just behind the Burger King. She stands there from 10am-7pm M-F with her 2 daughters, about 6-10 years old. Her sign says "homeless - please help" She's not there when it's raining. Her kids sit on a blanket and they play with toys she takes out the charity donation bin that's right next to them. People stop constantly and give her money. She always refuses food or any other assistance. She and the kids are always clean, well groomed, nice clothes. At 7pm, she gets the girls and walks a little way to her minivan - a nice late module Dodge caravan. She doesn't live in her car, it's clean and obviously kept in a garage - she definitely lives nearby and for those not familiar with the area, this is all new development nowhere near any government housing or shelters. This is the suburbs.

How do I know so much about her? Because my kid was working at Walmart all summer pushing carts. He noticed her and felt bad at first until he noticed her schedule. He said she'd come inside and buy the kids some toys/coloring books, some snacks/candy and that she'd go home for lunch everyday. He saw her get into the van everyday, saw her talking on her cellphone (the girls have their own) and saw how many people were stopping everyday. She's easily raking in $500 a day, if not more. The girls aren't even going to school (kids bring more $$) so I guess she's going to claim she's homeschooling them. I don't know why children's services hasn't gotten involved, especially since it's been so hot. But it just goes to show what people will do to scam others by using guilt.

People, please stop supporting this industry. 99.9% of these people are not who you think they are. By giving them money, you're supporting drug trafficking, human trafficking, drug abuse and addiction. It's also hurting people who are in genuine need. When they claim they're starving but won't accept food, there's your sign. When they claim they'll work but have no interest in day labor, there's your sign. If you really want to help, make up some cards with your local shelters, free clinics, food pantries, job help, etc. and hand those out instead. Teaching people how to help themselves and become productive members of society is the best thing you can do for them. And for those with true needs who are incapable of helping themselves due to mental illness or cognitive deficiencies, more money and effort can be directed towards helping them live with some dignity and ease their suffering.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:12 PM

137 posts, read 100,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
We do not have many panhandlers where I live, but when I do see them, I always give them money. They take enough abuse from people like some of those who have posted here.

Panhandling is hard work. I would venture a guess that most people who engage in this activity are in some way sick - physically, mentally or spiritually. They could be without transportation They could be convicted felons who have served their time, but consequently can not find a place that will hire them. That doesn't make them bad people. They are no worse than white collar criminals who are in the position to hire high powered lawyers and get off.

I too wonder why people are so upset about this. I mean, are you really jealous of beggars?

If you think they are living the high life, feel free to quit your job, and join the ranks of panhandlers. You will stand outside in the scorching heat, or freezing cold. People will mock you, throw stuff at you, and scream "Get a job!". You might be robbed, beaten or worse.

Sounds like fun.
You are really naive. Well, at least they know there are people who believe the way you do to keep enabling them to do this and allow you to feel smug about your generosity.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:53 AM

381 posts, read 277,269 times
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...yments-britain

Beggars here in the u.k. and elsewhere are way ahead!

And i like how he calls it a "business"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates