Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 10:02 AM

39,266 posts, read 27,666,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Many years back, returning from the draft ,, I discovered the biggest , most vocal loud mouths, against the Vietnam war were guys who tried to enlist and didn't pass their physical.

They then enrolled in college and participated in every protest there was.

Reminded me like the guy in high school who tries to date a girl and she turns him down.

He then bad mouths her to his buddies and says he never would date that tramp.

"saving face" it's called !
I can see that.

In my family, it is pretty much the same situation.

My brother joined Marine Corps and became a force recon, he is honorably discharged from the MC and is very successful in the civilian world.

My cousin did not even pass Army basic training. He used to be pro military, but since Army rejected him, he became a war protester for some reasons lol

we all know what the real reason is.

Yeah, a lot of these military "haters" (for lack of a better word) "hate" for very personal reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 AM

257 posts, read 178,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and your solution is what exactly? Abolish the Military?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but please explain?
Of course not abolish it, but demythologize it. We glorify war and the military in this country far too much, which makes us far too enthusiastic about using it in unjustified ways.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Of course not abolish it, but demythologize it. We glorify war and the military in this country far too much, which makes us far too enthusiastic about using it in unjustified ways.
well, I don't disagree. But it seems to me (and correct me if I am wrong here) that you don't believe military service members deserve to be praised if they fought an unpopular war. (and hindsight is always 20/20)

I simply don't understand why some people (not saying you) believe soldiers cause wars to happen. Wars don't happen because soldiers are present. At the point that warriors begin fighting is when everyone else realizes that a war is already under way.

War is just idea, but more so it is just an evolution on the idea of conflicts. War is the point where a conflict turns violent. To end war, you would need to end all conflicts, absolutely all of them. At any point where there is some group of people who feel that they are not receiving something that they are willing fight for, then you will have to end that conflict without war. As yet, no one has successfully come close to doing that, and in all honesty, no one ever will. So long as there is any form of inequality, there will be competition and so long as that exists, there will be conflict and eventually wars.

Warriors are just the last step in this whole process that are used not to resolve the conflict, but neutralize the competition.

People praise the military service members because they are WiLLING to serve. Nothing more/less. They (we) don't praise them because they participated in a certain war.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 AM

643 posts, read 330,783 times
Quote:
yeah right, everyone who opposed the Vietnam war did so because the government wouldn’t let them fight in it. You keep telling yourself that.
I never said ...everyone...

I just said.......the biggest, most vocal loud mouths

Old 08-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
^ perfect example of why the American military will NEVER be on this fictional "pedestal"
Totally agree.

This thread is the proof that there is no such a thing as pedestal. There is sadly a gap between two cultures: military and SOME civilians.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:16 AM

50,941 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Totally agree.

This thread is the proof that there is no such a thing as pedestal. There is sadly a gap between two cultures: military and SOME civilians.
You seem very pro military. In which branch did you serve?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You seem very pro military. In which branch did you serve?
Do I have to serve in order to respect somebody who serve in the military?

You seem to ask very odd questions. Or is it your way to disqualify or discredit somebody? If so, try another debate strategy.

Try argument, counterargument. Thank you I don't care what you do because it has nothing to do with the thread.

Please define : pro military if you want to argue or debate. I personally believe military service ought to be morally neutral. But this is another topic.

This said, as a civilian, I praise the military service members (especially the ones who have seen combat) because they are willing to serve. I know I don't have what it takes to serve. They make me feel secure and safe. No more/less. How I treat them has nothing to do with the popularity of that war. Got it? I don't think all of them are heroes, I don't even think all of them are good pleasant people (have said it many pages ago) lol

If the above = putting them on a pedestal, then there is really nothing else to debate about. <shrug>

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-16-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,022,940 times
More on the subject of military personnel having "no other options" or being "not smart enough for college."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...lowest-our-low

http://freakonomics.com/2008/09/22/w...ilitary-today/

Last edited by iknowftbll; 08-16-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 AM

257 posts, read 178,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
I never said ...everyone...

I just said.......the biggest, most vocal loud mouths
That doesn’t make it any less specious an assertion.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,245,230 times
Quote:
This. Kingdoms, states, empires that placed martial culture as a central identity (militarism) have a long history of ending in a violent ruin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates