Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 08:11 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have a great deal of respect for the men and women of the military, but the Vet was downright rude. While I thank him for his service, I can easily do without his attitude.
A big part of military "service" is the hidden fact that all soldiers are necessary cannon fodder to fight and die for a cause. No more, no less.

For this reason it's necessary to make the public believe that when soldier's die it's a glorious thing. Otherwise no one would be willing to fight and die for any cause.

Ya, you realize this when your up to your azz in a combat jungle wondering what the hell is so great about war. But that was my war 50 yrs ago.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 08:20 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Hhhhmmmmm....I’m not sure I agree. I don’t recall any jobs in the service where you had the luxury of thinking it was “just a job”. There’s always seemed to be an extra component to every position that doesn’t allow you to forget you’re in the military.

Maybe other non-combat vets could chime in with their experiences. I served just after Vietnam when the service was hugely unpopular and there were no conflicts, wars or anything else yet, even in our hospital, we were always preparing for various scenarios. When the Shah Of Iran came for cancer treatment or when members of the failed raid in Iran were admitted, it became harder to think of it as just a job. I even “met” John Mitchell when he reported to prison at the base where I was stationed for what was referred to as level II training. (Mitchell was Nixon’s attorney general if you don’t recognize his name.)

During my four years, I saw more death than anyone under 21 should ever see....and again, we were nowhere near war. Just a job? At 19, you wouldn’t believe the level of responsibility I had which directly impacted patient care. In a comparable civilian job, that would typically occur until I had graduated from collage and gained at least a year of experience. On two different occasions, I walked into a hospital looking for a job and walked out with one. The difference was the training the military provided in my field.

Since my time, the number and frequency of conflicts have increased to were it’s doubtful that anyone has the luxury of treating their military service as just a job but I’m open to others’ experiences!
The 20% figure is a stat you can find online.

And what I'm differentiating between is combat and non-combat.

My father was in the army and then the Air Force for 20 years. During World War II he was in combat in the army. But after the war he went back to civilian life, and then in 1952 he went into the Air Force. He never saw any combat for the next 16 years -- Texas, Labrador, Pease AFB in New Hampshire, and service in SAC. But never even close to combat. I even got to visit him on base to see where he worked.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
.......I come from a military family. I would NOT wish that life on my sons. My dad gave his mental health to the Viet Nam war.

So yeah. I'm really, really happy to thank men in camo for their service, buy their meals at a fast food restaurant, clap when they go by in a parade, because um hmm. My sons are not going to do that, period. Period.

We are NOT going back to the draft.

If there are men and women who will willingly sign up to be cannon fodder, and have PTSD for the rest of their lives, and be at huge risk for suicide, they deserve great honors to counterbalance the meager pay they receive. I can't for the life of me understand why one single person signs up for the military, but apparently they do, and in sufficient numbers to staff our continued wars. Leading to basically nothing.

Because my family isn't going to do it. Ever again.......
I never served in the military.

But in mid-career, I spent a lot of time working forest fires. My family still holds it against me that I missed my daughters first day at school. I spent lots of summers working days on end.

NONE of that compares to the sacrifices made by the military. Those multiple deployments year after year have to wear on the families.

Mine were only for three months during the late summer and fall.....and there was nobody shooting at me!! And I could walk away at any time....and quite frankly did for five years when my family had enough.

The military folks don't have the option of walking away.

They deserve our respect and gratitude. Until you do 5% of what they do for us........you don't realize what a sacrifice it is for US.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 AM

337 posts, read 449,111 times
I had the privilege of serving 20 years in the active duty military (building bombs/taking missiles apart and putting them on electronic tests set to ensure they would function) and my wife did 20 years active duty also (medical supply and optometry). I wear no military references or discuss the military unless someone notices my haircut and then inquires. I become sheepish when someone thanks me and often deflect the gratitude towards real heroes such as the men who came of the boats at D-Day or the Vietnam Vets who were shunned upon their return.

I also feel our 1st responder's sacrifice virtually every day and put their lives on the line as much as, or maybe more, than many who have served.

I had my retirement ceremony after 20 years of service and was about to be released to "Terminal Leave" Status (last bit of leave that you have saved up). Cleaning out desk drawer and I saw on the TV, the terrorists had flew planes into the towers in NY. The military sent my wife to the towers that night (medical) for 2 weeks. Came home for a day, and was sent to OMAN (across from Afghanistan) for 7 months without telling me where she went. As a Bomb Builder/Missile Technician, they cancelled my retirement under the "Stop Loss" Program and the law allowed them to hold me for an additional 2 years.

I guess my point is........The Military/Government owns you when you sign up/get drafted in the service. Many other professions you can get out as you feel you need to. At the time I wasn't exhilarated about having my retirement cancelled, but when I look back, I am glad it happened. God Bless, and Thank You to anyone who sacrifices for others....

Old 07-30-2018, 07:07 AM

652 posts, read 340,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I still stand by my previous post. Just because a job has some unique characteristics such as what you're stating, doesn't mean their sacrifice is any greater, or less, than any other job. Try giving current military personnel the choice of either staying in their current job or taking a civilian job, like corrections officer, janitor, teacher, lawyer, sewer worker, etc. A lot (most?) wouldn't do it because they know their current job offers them a better lifestyle and better pay and benefits for the work they do compared to certain other jobs. I'd certainly want to join the military rather than do any of those civilian jobs that I mentioned. I'm not putting down anyone in the military, I'm just saying I don't believe they're anything special. For many it's actually a great path to accomplish something in life when they have few other options.
Right, we all know that all those enlisted personnel are making more $ than lawyers(insert sarcasm here).
I bet that most vets from Long Island, NY, get a way better pension than any 3rd grade teacher there, most of whom will receive close to 6 figures.(more sarcasm please).
Janitors working for public schools in NYC and places like the Port Authority and the MTA keep working well past the required yrs needed to retire because the pay and benefits are so good, and senior guys manage a lot of down time during their shifts, but I’m sure some grunt filling sand bags every day or working a burn pit is much happier where he is(yes, pile on the sarcasm).

You REALLY don’t have a clue. Really.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:52 AM

36 posts, read 27,691 times
OP. I think your friend ran into an arrogant prick who thought too much of himself and his purported "sacrifice". I worked many years for the Department of Defense both here and overseas, and dealt with members at all ranks of all the military services, except the Coast Guard. Most military personnel are humble, yet proud. They earn their respect, and do not think they are entitled to it. So yes, I think they should be on a pedestal, and in my opinion, enlisted more so than officers.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I'm a military brat who served 6 years myself, of which I was deployed for a total of just over 1 year. Three of my 4 brothers served as well (two still are). My father, two uncles, both grandfathers and numerous cousins as well. We are a military family. Mostly Army, but every branch including the Coast Guard and civil air patrol has been represented. We've been involved in nearly every conflict since WWII except Korea. It's just ingrained I guess to do our part.

Yet with all that, I get uncomfortable when someone thanks me for my service. I've been out for almost 15 years now and I still don't really know what to say. I get it a lot in my current profession as well. I just answer with, "It's just what I do." Probably sounds weird to those I'm responding to, but it's truthfully something I don't know how to answer any better.

I don't look at any of what I have done as a "sacrifice". I got a lot in return and was able to experience things in life that millions and millions of people will never get to see about humanity. In the end, I feel I'll die knowing I mattered. That's all I really ever need.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-30-2018, 10:05 AM

34 posts, read 36,932 times
Interesting debate, thanks for starting this thread.

I spent 20 years in the military, from age 17 to age 37. Then at age 38 I became a teacher for 20 years. Now I am the Director for an educational non-profit called Destination Imagination. So take my thoughts from the perspective.

I find the military people I have had contact with to be honorable, hard-working and honest, in general of course.

I find the educators I have had contact with to be rude, self-centered and lazy, in general of course.

Whether it be in NJ, NY or here in Charlottesville VA, the three places I have worked in the schools, I would be generous in saying that 10% of the teachers do 70% of the work and 20% of the teachers do 95% of the work.

Of course there are always exceptions but when meeting a military member I will expect them to have qualities of serving others and almost every teacher or educator I have met is really about serving themselves not their students.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:13 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
A military vet that is a mother-in-law should not be put on any pedestal.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:18 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yet with all that, I get uncomfortable when someone thanks me for my service. I've been out for almost 15 years now and I still don't really know what to say. I get it a lot in my current profession as well. I just answer with, "It's just what I do." Probably sounds weird to those I'm responding to, but it's truthfully something I don't know how to answer any better.
I just say, "It was a privilege."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates