Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

Is this a sign of a nation in decline? Why? Obesity increasing, drug OD on the increase. Suicides on the increase. Birth rate in decline, all are probable reason for life expectancy to decrease, but are they also signs of a society in decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 10:27 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Is this a sign of a nation in decline? Why? Obesity increasing, drug OD on the increase. Suicides on the increase. Birth rate in decline, all are probable reason for life expectancy to decrease, but are they also signs of a society in decline?
First things first. You make a statement that it is declining, yet you haven't included a link to some story making that claim that we can comment on. Or do you merely want us to comment on your opinion alone?

Old 08-26-2018, 01:36 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
1. What does the birth rate have to do with life expectancy?

2. I think the life expectancy issue is being largely driven by opiod addictions and other causes of non-elderly deaths. There are obviously a lot of factors, but that is the analysis I saw.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:09 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
First things first. You make a statement that it is declining, yet you haven't included a link to some story making that claim that we can comment on. Or do you merely want us to comment on your opinion alone?
While it is true that the OP should have included a cite for his assertion, it's also true that I verified the claim via googling in about the time it must've taken you to complain about the lack of a cite. Think about that.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db293.pdf

Furthermore, as illustrated above, this is a trend that has been ongoing for several years. Perhaps the OP merely assumed that people had heard about it previously. I know I certainly had. This isn't breaking news.

That said, the cause appears to be the opioid epidemic.

Quote:
Other statistics suggest that this alarming trend is caused by the epidemic of addiction to opioids, which is becoming deadlier. Drug overdoses claimed more than 63,000 lives in 2016. Two-thirds of these deaths were caused by opioids, including potent synthetic drugs such as fentanyl and tramadol, which are easier to overdo by accident and are becoming more popular among illegal drug users.
https://www.economist.com/united-sta...years-in-a-row

So now perhaps we can talk about the decline in American life expectancy, rather than trying to cast doubt upon the premise.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:11 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Sure. And a country that has no interest in providing health care comparabe to other wealthy western countries is another sign of decline.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I don't think it's ever been proved that our health care system is inferior to any other country. Just because a country doesn't have socialized medicine, doesn't mean it has a bad system. People are covered by employer paid insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, self paid insurance etc. Even without insurance, hospitals are still required by law to care for those who come through their doors. The large number of people who come to the USA for medical care from other countries with socialized medicine proves we have a pretty good system

Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
I don't think it's ever been proved that our health care system is inferior to any other (developed) country.
On what basis? On the most common scale (Outcomes ÷ Costs) we're pulling up the rear.
When you investigate where those extra costs the US has end up...

Some more reading here: LINK

Old 08-27-2018, 06:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
On what basis? On the most common scale (Outcomes ÷ Costs) we're pulling up the rear.
When you investigate where those extra costs the US has end up...

Some more reading here: LINK
We're bringing up the rear cost wise, but quality wise we're not.

You get what you pay for.

I've been at the mercy of what some people consider a very good European model - the German model. Without going into detail, I'll just say that I much prefer the US model, even though at the moment, my husband and I are paying $1000 a month for insurance, with a $5000 each deductible. That's right - I didn't make a mistake with the zeros.

With socialized medicine, there's no way around dealing with rationed health care. I think many Americans assume that if we went to a socialized medicine system, their health care would stay the same, or maybe even improve. In my experience, that's not the case.

I think people also assume that someone else will pay the significantly higher tax burden. That's also not the case for most people. It's not like we'd just expand Medicare, Medicaid, or VA benefits as they exist today (reminder - if you don't like those systems, well, that's about what you'd get, only with even more red tape and fewer mandatory services). Right now, most people pay (or their employers pay) pretty significant premiums, and therefore we get what we need and what we want WHEN we need or want it (usually the same thing). With socialized medicine, there are usually waiting lists for surgeries such as knee replacements, cataract removal, etc. If, for example, you tear your Achilles tendon, you won't typically get the OPTION of either surgery (extremely effective) or "the conservative approach" which is casting for months (less invasive but also more prone to retearing/rerupture). Nope - you'll get the least expensive "conservative approach" and that's generally it unless yours is an unusual case.

And don't even think about a private room after you finally get that knee replacement after having been on a waiting list for months and maybe even years. Nope - get used to the idea of wards. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with wards - it's just not what we usually deal with here.

There are big differences that do cut down on the cost - and the services.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We're bringing up the rear cost wise, but quality wise we're not.
If we have the money we can get better/best in just about anything.
But that isn't the question being asked... is it?

The questions are about the quality of care (Outcomes) for everyone...
and how much cash washing through the system never even touches on care.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:00 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Illegal immigrants are mostly poor, and poor people tend to live shorter lives than middle or upper income people. With all the illegal immigrants here it's not surprising that they would drive down the average.

But our life expectancy should be getting longer because we fight fewer large scale wars.

So what are the longevity stats for native-born Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates