Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 10:01 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.
When did 'arrest' become synonymous with 'beat"?

Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Why? Just because they wear a uniform and carry a badge doesn't make them right. If I am standing on a public sidewalk and taking pictures, I am going to tell a cop to get lost if he tells me to stop, since I have the right to take those pictures. Same thing if I am just walking down the street, or sitting in my parked car eating a sandwich. Cops aren't God, they are public servants. They are also frequently wrong in their understanding of how much power they actually have.
As I said, do as your ****ing told and you won't have a problem. Maybe also try not acting like a special snowflake who thinks rules don't apply to you.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:26 AM

631 posts, read 562,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.
All the videos I have seen between a person and a cop arguing is a person resisting arrest. Usually, the cop will ask for ID and/or proof of insurance after being pulled over for expired tags or a tail-light out, etc. The person will say something like, "What did I do?" and carry on without complying with the officer's requests. Things escalate, the officer will ask the person to step out of the car, the person will still argue and not comply. So, the officer has to use force to compel the person to comply. Otherwise, how could the law be upheld, if anytime I do not want to comply I just put up an argument instead? People who are being taken down deserve it 99 times out of 100. People think if only they are great talkers/arguers, somehow the law doesn't apply to them. I am grateful the police have the authority to *take them down*. Ah dindu nuffin!!!!;... or I'm an entitled Queen... excuse me... I mean goddess;... or I'm a sovereign citizen, you have no rights over my body;... or I'm just stoop-ed.

Last edited by 2ner; 09-01-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-01-2018, 10:58 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
As I said, do as your ****ing told and you won't have a problem. Maybe also try not acting like a special snowflake who thinks rules don't apply to you.
I'm not a snowflake. I know my rights, and I am not going to submit to some idiot with a badge who thinks he's better than me. If I am told I am under arrest, I won't resist, but before that happens, there will be some discussion. Cops aren't special, they aren't all powerful, they are public employees. Their jobs aren't particularly difficult or dangerous. They don't get to make up laws to try to make you do what they think is right. And, to be back on topic, there is no reason for a cop to beat a suspect who is already handcuffed, or to shoot an unarmed suspect who is running away.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:08 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
Nothing verbal warrants a beat down

Old 09-01-2018, 11:09 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
I'm not a snowflake. I know my rights, and I am not going to submit to some idiot with a badge who thinks he's better than me. If I am told I am under arrest, I won't resist, but before that happens, there will be some discussion. Cops aren't special, they aren't all powerful, they are public employees. Their jobs aren't particularly difficult or dangerous. They don't get to make up laws to try to make you do what they think is right. And, to be back on topic, there is no reason for a cop to beat a suspect who is already handcuffed, or to shoot an unarmed suspect who is running away.
Their job IS dangerous and difficult. And once again, do as your told. If you're too stupid or too much of a snowflake to think rules don't apply to you and you run, you deserve to get shot. I will agree there is no reason to beat up a cuffed suspect.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 AM

631 posts, read 562,974 times
Quote:
I have never encountered a situation with a cop in which I felt they were abusive of their power. In Boston, I was riding my bicycle and a guy cut me off in his car to get a parking space. I couldn't stop in time and slammed into the side of his car and broke the mirror off. He wanted the cops called, even though he was at fault. The cop threw my mangled bicycle in his trunk and drove me home, which was miles from the accident site. I did get thrown in jail as a kid with my best friend because we were playing pranks with cars, which were potentially dangerous. Our parents were called to pick us up. It was to teach us a lesson.

When you write "some idiot with a badge" it is obvious you have an anti-cop bias.

Last edited by 2ner; 09-01-2018 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Their job IS dangerous and difficult. And once again, do as your told. If you're too stupid or too much of a snowflake to think rules don't apply to you and you run, you deserve to get shot. I will agree there is no reason to beat up a cuffed suspect.
Tough luck. They didn't know that before they signed up? That gives them a right to break the law themselves?

And by the way...do you even know the definition of "snowflake". Someone who stands up for themselves would not fit the definition.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:21 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
With words alone, I don't think so. With words and actions happening at the same time, that is situational. For example,
a person is aiming a gun at a cup or cutting them with a knife or has a cop restrained (choke hold or even tied up) and that person is smack talking the cop's friends or family. The cop manages to get out of that immediate threat (for example, the gun jambs as the person pulled the trigger on that cop) then retaliates but only with the force legally-allowed.

In general, there are times when Person A says something so outrageous or egregious to Person B that Person A deserves to get beat-up (not fatally though). I have been Person A so many times in real life. However, just because someone deserves to get beat-up that doesn't mean you should act on such a thought.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:53 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
I think the cop has a right to beat your stupid ass if you do that. Do as your ****ing told. It's that simple.
What if I do what I'm told while calling him an a$$hole? Does he still get to beat the crap out of me? I sure couldn't even touch someone on that basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates