Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 AM

24,615 posts, read 9,446,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
If a homeless person approached a shoe store or a Panera Bread or a store that sells mattresses and said, "I want to apply for a job," what are the chances they'd get that job?
Nonsense.

Whatch a movie called “pursuit of happiness,” Chris Gardner was a homeless single father living out of subway restrooms during his internship that finally landed him a job.

Quote:
Life is a struggle for single father Chris Gardner (Will Smith). Evicted from their apartment, he and his young son (Jaden Christopher Syre Smith) find themselves alone with no place to go. Even though Chris eventually lands a job as an intern at a prestigious brokerage firm, the position pays no money. The pair must live in shelters and endure many hardships, but Chris refuses to give in to despair as he struggles to create a better life for himself and his son.
No one said it would be easy. But you need to grab your bootstraps if you want to get something. Most homeless folks wouldn’t make HALF the effort Chris Gardner did to get out of their situation. They would’ve walked as soon as they heard the word intern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 01:45 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And what's so wrong about them spending it on drugs or alcohol? As down in the gutter they are, they're not entitled to some pleasure?
Some of them have mental health issues, so even if you denied them drugs or alcohol, it's not like they'll "magically" find a job that can allow them to rent an apartment. Many mental health facilities have already been shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
There's another version of panhandling where I live: kids who appear to be on some sports team collecting for vague purposes. The kids were on the median at traffic lights, with signs saying, "Fund raising for travel expenses". No other details, Always an adult in the area somewhere. It must work because they're out there most of the weekends when the weather is nice, but I ignore them. I really don't want to teach kids that if you want money you stand out on the road median with a sign.
Perhaps, but others see this as seeing an "opportunity and taking it". In the end, money is money. It's no different than your typical business that's managed to get their buyers to depart with their hard earned money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I never give money. Rather, I ask what they need, and if it's something I feel like buying (such as food), I'll buy it and bring it to them. The ones who aren't legit will scoff at the notion of you buying them food.

If they're smoking, I won't ask what they want. If you can afford cigarettes, you can afford food or rent. If you refuse to stop smoking cigarettes when you're homeless even though they're being given to you for free, sooner or later you will spend some of your scant money on cigarettes instead of food or rent. I know that there's something to be said for people using their addictions to help them forget about their realities... but for now, I need to have at least some idea that you are legitimately on hard times and doing your best to rise above them to give you help. I don't make much money either... I don't want it wasted on some stranger's addictions, especially since it will go to some inhuman large company that will spend part of it on psychological campaigns designed to get more people addicted to the drugs they're peddling.
Cigarettes are also addictive. Literally. I wouldn't be surprised if it truly is hard for some of them to quit, considering those who aren't homeless and well off have had difficulty as well.
As for giving up cigarettes for rent and food, last price on a pack of cigarettes I've got is $8. Assuming you smoke 1 pack of cigarettes a day, that's only $240 per month. I guess you could find section 8 housing, but those aren't always available. Otherwise, I'm hard pressed to figure out what you could do with $300 a month. Plus, if you're in an area that's fine to be outdoors, saving the money by not having to pay rent can go a long way.

Last edited by ackmondual; 09-17-2018 at 01:58 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I always take note if they have clean clothes and good shoes. Those are signs of a scammer.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And what's so wrong about them spending it on drugs or alcohol? As down in the gutter they are, they're not entitled to some pleasure?
It's wrong because you are giving them substances that most likely got them into the gutter in the first place, or at the very least is keeping them there.

Would you advocate giving good old recovering alcoholic uncle Charlie a drink because he's entitled to some pleasure?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
When you see a Homeless person, Do you give to them or ignore them?

If so, why do you give to them?

Do you think you made a change?

If not, why do you not give to them?

Do you think that they will just go buy drugs or alcohol?

Go!
I ignore them. I face this when I go to Baltimore all the time since it has a high homeless population that frequently panhandles. I just cannot stand or feel safe with panhandlers.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I always take note if they have clean clothes and good shoes. Those are signs of a scammer.
Nope.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Nope.
I'll take that as a disagreement.
In Atlanta the "homeless" were collected every evening (by expensive vehicles). They turned over their money to their "boss" in return for food, housing, clean clothes.
Big scam/rip off.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
When you see alot of these homeless people smoking cigarettes, most of the time, they are not actually buying packs of cigarettes. Homeless come around to our stores and look thru the ashtrays to find butts that were put out early, that still have alot of cigarette left, Ive seen people fill up bags of cigarettes from the ashtrays that have only had a few puffs taken on them.

It may sound gross and disgusting, but its what they do in order to smoke.

Plus, in many of our stores, the manager will allow a homeless person to do some odd jobs around the store, like changing trash cans, sweeping the lot, etc, something that takes about 30 minutes and then offer them either food or a pack of cigarettes, whatever they want that is equal to about $5-8.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:55 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When you see alot of these homeless people smoking cigarettes, most of the time, they are not actually buying packs of cigarettes. Homeless come around to our stores and look thru the ashtrays to find butts that were put out early, that still have alot of cigarette left, Ive seen people fill up bags of cigarettes from the ashtrays that have only had a few puffs taken on them.

It may sound gross and disgusting, but its what they do in order to smoke.

Plus, in many of our stores, the manager will allow a homeless person to do some odd jobs around the store, like changing trash cans, sweeping the lot, etc, something that takes about 30 minutes and then offer them either food or a pack of cigarettes, whatever they want that is equal to about $5-8.
Outside the train station in Newark, NJ, there hang a lot of old men, some of them vets, either homeless or just hanging out there because that's where they congregate.

When I used to smoke and went back and forth to meetings in Newark and had a cig on the way to the train, one or another of them would yell to to me, "Don't put that out! Let me finish it!". It got to be that I recognized the same guys after a while, and I would give them a couple of whole cigarettes from my pack of Newports. You'd think I gave them gold. I had a job and was wasting my money on these things. I could afford to part with a few.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:33 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
As for giving up cigarettes for rent and food, last price on a pack of cigarettes I've got is $8. Assuming you smoke 1 pack of cigarettes a day, that's only $240 per month. I guess you could find section 8 housing, but those aren't always available. Otherwise, I'm hard pressed to figure out what you could do with $300 a month. Plus, if you're in an area that's fine to be outdoors, saving the money by not having to pay rent can go a long way.
That could be almost a month's worth of groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates