Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:43 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
When you see a Homeless person, Do you give to them or ignore them?

If so, why do you give to them?

Do you think you made a change?

If not, why do you not give to them?

Do you think that they will just go buy drugs or alcohol?

Go!
I have given to homeless people on rare occasions, but I don't very often.

I've worked virtually my entire life and I intend to go on working, health permitting, until I'm 70. Even while I was in school I worked.

I don't think very much of those who won't work unless there is a real bonafide reason such as poor health or disability. I know where I live that jobs are abundant. For example, my daughter was earning more than minimum wage when she was sixteen years old.

I'm a fairly good judge of people though and if someone really stands out to me as legitimate, I'm not beyond giving them a little help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 12:19 PM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It may sound gross and disgusting, but its what they do in order to smoke.

Plus, in many of our stores, the manager will allow a homeless person to do some odd jobs around the store, like changing trash cans, sweeping the lot, etc, something that takes about 30 minutes and then offer them either food or a pack of cigarettes, whatever they want that is equal to about $5-8.
I’ve seen homeless people dumpster diving like they were looking for gold. It’s a crazy sight to see. I wouldn’t be surprised if they hangout at the back near every buffet or pizza joint at night ready to get those scraps.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,398 times
I never give cash to homeless or panhandlers. But if someone told me they're hungry, I would buy them a meal.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:35 PM

485 posts, read 324,157 times
We have a lot of homeless people here in San Diego so I always keep protein bars or cereal bars in my car and whenever I'm stopped at a light and they're right there, I'll roll down my window and ask if they're hungry.

Sometimes they'll answer yes and take the bar and even start eating it right on the spot. Other times they'll answer yes but when I give them the bar, they'll swipe it onto the road and get upset that I didn't give them money.

A few times I've seen young people who look pretty healthy to me, who clearly could get a real job if they put effort into it but choose not to ... laziness I guess, I don't know but I don't offer anything to them because its obvious they're not really homeless and just trying to get money.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
I usually ask them for money......beat them to the question!

Joking^^^- I don't bother them, hoping they don't bother me. I don't give them anything because I suspect it will be spent on drugs/alcohol and I'd prefer to buy myself a beer after a hard day's work!

Old 09-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
We have a lot of homeless people here in San Diego so I always keep protein bars or cereal bars in my car and whenever I'm stopped at a light and they're right there, I'll roll down my window and ask if they're hungry.

Sometimes they'll answer yes and take the bar and even start eating it right on the spot. Other times they'll answer yes but when I give them the bar, they'll swipe it onto the road and get upset that I didn't give them money.

A few times I've seen young people who look pretty healthy to me, who clearly could get a real job if they put effort into it but choose not to ... laziness I guess, I don't know but I don't offer anything to them because its obvious they're not really homeless and just trying to get money.
Always look at the clothes, especially the shoes. If they are in decent shape they haven't been homeless for long! There was a local guy pitching a story, local news channel nailed him........HE WASN'T HOMELESS but rather panhandling as a job! He parked his car a few blocks away and started on the corners like 8-5ish.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I have given to homeless people on rare occasions, but I don't very often.

I've worked virtually my entire life and I intend to go on working, health permitting, until I'm 70. Even while I was in school I worked.

I don't think very much of those who won't work unless there is a real bonafide reason such as poor health or disability. I know where I live that jobs are abundant. For example, my daughter was earning more than minimum wage when she was sixteen years old.

I'm a fairly good judge of people though and if someone really stands out to me as legitimate, I'm not beyond giving them a little help.
I got burned recently. Guy hit me up while pumping gas. Had a hospital band on his wrist (VA Hospital was nearby) and he had a folder full of medical records. Claimed he needed bus fair to get back to where he lived (about 30 miles away). I gave him $10.

A couple days later he hits me up with the same story (forgetting I gave him $10 prior).....When I asked what he did with the $10 I gave him a few days ago he just walked away to another gas pump. At that point I was announcing his "fraud" to everyone he would start talking to. He finally left and sat out by the bus stop.

It was a good scheme, he had the look of a veteran freshly discharged from the hospital!

Old 09-17-2018, 03:26 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,315 times
If they have all their belongings in a shopping cart, look unshowered, shaved, yes I give. If they need a fix I will give. Generally if I feel compelled, by the Holy Spirit I give, it's not always my call but His. Some I see all the time and the shopping cart people are still walking toward the heavy traffic areas and I find they want less from people don not always stick around are more than likely more apt to be victimized.

I do give many a prayer card with a religious picture for inspiration and I do say "May God bless you and keep you safe..."

Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM

838 posts, read 565,039 times
I use to give until i received one of them into my household, Provided food/shelter for 3-months FREE of charge and seen just how many resources they had to work with. Many choose to stay on the streets because they don't want to comply with the rules ie; waking up at 5am, checking into the shelter early, no drugs, job searching etc.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 PM

310 posts, read 446,661 times
Give them a job application and the address to the nearest shelter and social services. If they live in WA or CA they get expanded Medicaid and food stamps. At least in CA the weather is warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates