Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:00 PM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
In the USA or Europe I have never given money to a homeless person. Other countries, yes. The simple reason is the fact that anyone can get free food or shelter here if they are sober and willing to go where this is offered.
This is a good point. The homeless in America have it pretty good here. They have millions of people who will go out their way to support them with soup kitchens, halfway houses, donations, gofundme, legislation for rights, etc

When I was in Thailand, there’s no such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 05:04 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I've been Actually homeless, it's surprisingly easy to not be homeless. Most beggars are far from homeless and deserve nothing more than a close watch.

Just as soon as someone develops a way to identify the scammers from the actual homeless (who Want help), I'll offer help. Never money. Never.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:10 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Emphasis mine. What law prohibits it? I've never heard of this.
Some places state that is illegal to transfer anything from a car which can become a traffic hazard and also gives LE the change to clean up the streets.

For me, it depends on who is asking, as I don't chose to provide my earned money for those who are trouble makers.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:13 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I speak to them, but I don’t give them money. That is, I acknowledge them as a person, but whether I give them money, or not, will not change their circumstances, and I live on a shoe string myself.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:55 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
I no longer give them money.

I was in a smaller town in California and a guy was sitting in a wheel chair at a intersection. I went to do my laundry and found him STANDING in a isolated corner. He was sorting his money on the wheelchair.

It was considerable. He had MORE money than I had on a daily basis.

I wish there was a mechanism for helping people that need help without helping those too lazy to work. However, I suspect this is an industry taken over by charlatans.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:57 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
When you see a Homeless person, Do you give to them or ignore them?

If so, why do you give to them?

Do you think you made a change?

If not, why do you not give to them?

Do you think that they will just go buy drugs or alcohol?

Go!
I usually give them something. It's nothing to me and it's everything to them, Five or ten dollars. What they do with it is not my business.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:03 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
When you see a Homeless person, Do you give to them or ignore them?

If so, why do you give to them?

Do you think you made a change?

If not, why do you not give to them?

Do you think that they will just go buy drugs or alcohol?

Go!
There are RARE exceptions when I give something directly to them. Because of two incidents in my past.

The first was a homeless person staggering down the street who came up to me, grabbed my shirt, and said, "Hey buddy. Can you give me some money so I can go buy some beer to sober up with?"

The other was when I gave to a homeless person for food, and walked right into a 7/11 and bought a large bottle of beer.

On the other hand, in all fairness, on a bitter cold night I gave a homeless person $20 so he could get a room at local motel. Several months later a guy literally stopped me on an escalator and said "I'll meet you at the bottom" (no pun intended). And he paid me back the $20!

Instead I choose to give to organizations that run soup kitchens or other similar venues for the homeless.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

On the other hand, in all fairness, on a bitter cold night I gave a homeless person $20 so he could get a room at local motel. Several months later a guy literally stopped me on an escalator and said "I'll meet you at the bottom" (no pun intended). And he paid me back the $20!

Instead I choose to give to organizations that run soup kitchens or other similar venues for the homeless.
That is the rub.

I would give someone more than $20 IF it would help them over the hurdle. I would even pay MORE in taxes to make sure that anybody that needed help could get it.

I even had a person ask for money so he could get a beer and get drunk. Ok...this bender is on me. Don't figure on other one.

HOWEVER, if you are faking it and collecting money in a wheelchair.....well, I would rather see my funds going to a local food bank, taxes for helping the mentally ill, or anything to cut he scammers out of the system.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
I'll never give cash because that could easily be spent of drugs or alcohol. Whenever we are on vacation we purposely look for a homeless guy at a corner or bench and offer him or her the contents of our disposable cooler. Most times there are unopened snacks and bottles of water inside. Rather than just dumping everything in the trash.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:08 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
No. I live near San Francisco so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates