Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I'm not vengeful like that. There have been a few others in history. They've written books and such. Look them up.
It isn't about revenge.

It's a rare bully, assaulter, or rapist who only has one victim. They don't stop until they are forced to stop.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:29 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Because so many assaults go unreported, one has to wonder what the actual statistics are - I have to wonder how many American women there are who by age 25 and above have NOT been groped in some fashion at some point in their lives? Part of the problem is likely that if you count near same-age games of "Doctor", backseat fumbling in high school, etc., the number probably drops to near zero. And if you count non-sexual forms of assault, how many of us (male and female) have been bullied on the playground, roughed up intentionally playing sports, etc.? All of us?

Which goes to support all of the above comments that state not all assaults are created equally. "Copping a feel" on a date at age 15 is a bit different than what happened to Elizabeth Smart, and IMHO, should not disqualify one for being a Supreme Court Justice, especially if it cannot be substantiated beyond what has been done so far. I find it very, very convenient that someone affiliated with higher education (collectively a very liberal group), comes forward with this at the last minute to subvert a nomination by a President that liberals hate worse than a root canal. But even if it did happen, in the exact same set of circumstances as has been reported, it's not enough to offset a lifetime of good work and disqualify Kavanaugh. And before the screams of agony die down, I have two words for the screamers: Bill Clinton. And maybe two others: Ted Kennedy.
Exactly.
This whole BK thing was done purely to thwart his nomination. The dem party has been soliciting women willing to come up with a story. It was planned, which is why df hung onto letter until last minute, to cause delay. And why they arent calling for investigation of clunton and ellison.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:51 PM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It isn't about revenge.

It's a rare bully, assaulter, or rapist who only has one victim. They don't stop until they are forced to stop.
But that is such an out of place take in this case.

These events are from college freshman and earlier, and not followed by a long adult, decades-long history as in the Cosby case of drugging multiple victims and so on. We are not stopping a Weinstein or Cosby dead in their tracks. Nothing is going on!

This is exactly the kind of exaggeration I was talking about. The eyeroll factor is off the charts.

For the record, I oppose his nomination. Someone like Liz Warren is who I'd want. But I'm fair too. So there's that.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
But that is such an out of place take in this case.

These events are from college freshman and earlier, and not followed by a long adult, decades-long history as in the Cosby case of drugging multiple victims and so on. We are not stopping a Weinstein or Cosby dead in their tracks. Nothing is going on!

This is exactly the kind of exaggeration I was talking about. The eyeroll factor is off the charts.

For the record, I oppose his nomination. Someone like Liz Warren is who I'd want. But I'm fair too. So there's that.
I'm not going to continue discussing this with you until you make up your mind what we're discussing. You shifting back and forth between your experience and the Kavanaugh situation, and my opinions on each are distinct. At the old Firemen's Carnivals in western NYS, I liked the shooting galleries, even though I was not into guns. I didn't try to hit the moving targets. And I'm not going to try that here.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:57 PM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
Quote:
I'm not going to continue discussing this with you until you make up your mind what we're discussing. You shifting back and forth between your experience and the Kavanaugh situation, and my opinions on each are distinct. At the old Firemen's Carnivals in western NYS, I liked the shooting galleries, even though I was not into guns. I didn't try to hit the moving targets. And I'm not going to try that here.
No! Don't drop out! Please!

There goes my opportunity to be schooled. I'm sobbing.

But, yeah. Have a great day.

And if you're interested in targets, posters on another thread associated Kavanaugh with Ted Bundy yesterday. That's a pretty ambitious target. See if you can take it a step further. Challenge yourself. If the faithful will buy the Weinstein and Cosby parallels, they'll buy anything. You've got "They don't stop at one!" from the psychologists and all the other pithy nonsense they spout. Should be able to get past Ted Bundy without too much trouble.

Whatever you do, don't contact a psychic. They tell the truth. Psychics aren't really psychic. That's a little-known fact. They read faces, and pump you for information in subtle ways, and so on. Then they tell you something that's dead on. You go, "Whoa!" and tell your neighbor. Truth is not what you need here. Stick with the psychos, I mean psychologists, who are more willing to invent scenarios out of whole cloth than the psychics are. They'll make Kavanaugh anybody you need him to be.

Good luck!

Last edited by unwillingphoenician; 09-24-2018 at 11:06 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 08:43 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I've been listening to the podcast "Best Case; Worse Case" last two episodes which involve the Kavanaugh abuse allegations. They make a number of fine points based on legalities and human rights.

I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to discuss this from a legal viewpoint.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id1240002929

Old 09-25-2018, 08:54 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
...or...is there a debate at all? (Figured I'd post it in "Great debates)

I only write this because recently had a handful of female friends on social media post about how ashamed they are of their OWN friends on Facebook are calling the "reporting sexual assault 30 years later to be hogwash". That their friends are dismissing that if they came out with it this late, it was probably consensual and it was just regret sex or something.

(This happens when the guy has sex, and doesn't call her back and SHE calls it rape).

They are upset that their OWN friends find fault with women waiting so long to report it.

It's like "Shame on you for doubting them!"

Be honest, would you seriously block or unfriend, even in real life, your friends that you know on Facebook that have lacked empathy towards the victims coming forward decades later? Does it shock you that many are in opposition against those who come forward with their experiences?
No I would not block or unfriend a real friend for their views. I rarely let any ONE topic destroy anything.

No it does not shocked me and I'm not in opposition I just don't really support this entire wait 30 years to report a crime.

Now this is a bit different in that this is the supreme court. Any person selected for this position has to be a step above (lol, I use to think that about the presidency also but that's another thread) my local "joe at the football game".

I too also think that we have to hear what this women has to say but I am not going to feel bad for questioning her motives.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
If someone was assaulted in such a manner, they would likely come out about it just after the shock and all of it work off.

They would not wait until someone is about to have an achievement to make up a story

These are miserable women and their conduct will not prevail.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
Quote:
It isn't about revenge.

Been watching SVU a bit much, have we?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Can't argue with your statement. But I was speaking to the double-standard of the Me-Too movement, where if your candidate is someone you like (the enabler Hillary, for instance), you're cut a whole lot of slack vs. someone you don't like. In this case, inconsistency equals hypocrisy, which hurts their cause. And, their cause should not be diminished. But It should also not be used as a political tool to damage an opponent.
How can any reasonable person have the slightest doubt that this Kavanaugh attack is anything, but, a timely, political smear campaign designed entirely to undermine the President and slow-down the Supreme Court nominee process ... in the blind hope the democrats will pick-up a seat or two in the mid-terms??

Even the pretense of trying to conduct a discussion about why a woman would wait 30+ years to suddenly report a time that she "felt endangered" or that she "might be raped," is a sham! The Dems sponsoring this attack clearly lack a sense of common decency, integrity or shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates