Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:05 PM

22,678 posts, read 24,663,689 times

Advertisements

When I was stationed in Okinawa, on payday there would literally be lines of Marines, around the block, waiting to go into the brothel.

If any of those prostitutes were trafficked, I do not think it is the fault of any one of those Marines in those lines.

Human-nature dictates much of how Humans behave.......such-as Men many times having an extremely strong drive to have sex. Sheer greed and criminality is what should be blamed for sex-trafficking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:16 AM

51,014 posts, read 36,707,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
When I was stationed in Okinawa, on payday there would literally be lines of Marines, around the block, waiting to go into the brothel.

If any of those prostitutes were trafficked, I do not think it is the fault of any one of those Marines in those lines.

Human-nature dictates much of how Humans behave.......such-as Men many times having an extremely strong drive to have sex. Sheer greed and criminality is what should be blamed for sex-trafficking.
It’s only the fault of the men in line who are in line for under age boys or girls. Chances are the regular prostitutes there were not trafficked.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:08 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,721,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
It thrives because of demand. Demand by perverted men. Until law enforcement start targeting and prosecuting the 'johns', and the pimps/mamasans then trafficking and prostitution will never go away.
I totally agree that it's driven by demand, but not that it's necessarily perverted.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,538,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
To me, one major reason it largely thrives is because of lot of girls, even in the face of modern feminism, are still not brought up with the ideas that it's essential to stay in school, it's essential to get a real job, and it's essential not to plan to coast on your looks. It seems to me that those three problems make girls easy prey.
Women and children are deceived, abducted, and abused. That's sex trafficking.

What does looks have to do with kidnapping? Are little girls skating by on looks?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

What does looks have to do with kidnapping? Are little girls skating by on looks?
Yes people still keep trying to make the topic equivalent to prostitution. Sex trafficking and prostitution are not the same. One is voluntary profession by and for adults, the other is a form of slavery and involuntary.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:13 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,654,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

When I was in my teens and 20s, I did my fair share of 'running around', I dated and saw alot of girls back in those days, one thing that was consistent among most of them, when we go to talking about childhood and sexuality, when they reached about the age of 11 or 12, they noticed that boys, men, even adult men, began to look at them 'differently', (most described it as 'a piece of meat'), some of them liked this new attention and some didnt, some thought it was creepy and others were amazed at the doors it opened up for them.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,413,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Frankly, I look down on people who visit prostitutes less than "players" who feed men/women a bunch of lies in order to get them into bed, and who want nothing more than sex anyways. At least the one visiting a prostitute is being honest. .
I can see your point. I don't respect any one who feeds another person lies and promises, just to get sex; then walks away, with no intention of ever seeing them again.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:23 AM

1,210 posts, read 892,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
There was a big Time article on sex trafficking:

She Survived Sex Trafficking. Now She Wants to Show Other Women a Way Out
https://time.com/longform/windie-jo-...king-survivor/

But one idea I object to is this:

Sex trafficking is a form of modern slavery that thrives largely because its victims are dismissed as society’s castaways—hookers, addicts, the homeless—and because its signature act, prostitution, is often shrugged off as a victimless crime.

To me, one major reason it largely thrives is because of lot of girls, even in the face of modern feminism, are still not brought up with the ideas that it's essential to stay in school, it's essential to get a real job, and it's essential not to plan to coast on your looks. It seems to me that those three problems make girls easy prey.
Make prostitution legal and stop listening to religious people and this problem goes away in 69 milliseconds.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Make prostitution legal and stop listening to religious people and this problem goes away in 69 milliseconds.
No it won’t because prostitution won’t legalize sex with children, which is a big market for traffickers. Nor will it end gangs wanting slaves so they get all the money. A lot of sex trafficking is actually selling girls overseas as slaves. I do think prostitution should be legal but it won’t end trafficking.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-25-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-25-2019, 11:59 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,413,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
No, it won't. The above poster is correct. Sex trafficking will always be a problem and legalizing prostitution won't change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates