Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 06:00 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times

Advertisements

I would list as a contributing factor to U.S. deaths-by-police, is the cultural lack of respect for LEO here. In fact, they are "the enemy" in many neighborhoods (with or without reason I am not sure, but our "War on Drugs" is probably a big contributing factor in police being seen that way).

I have come to admit that the drug war has largely been a failure, if someone wants to screw their life up by smoking crack, shooting heroin, smoking weed, whatever; I say "let them", let them snort all the meth they can with impunity, so it becomes cheap and available. Do NOT make it legal, or tax / regulate it; nor should we make drug use "acceptable" by prohibiting businesses from firing drug users, or spend huge amount of money on treatment - if you're dumb enough to start, get yourself off or die. Just decriminalize the use of it and empty the jails. Not sure how you handle dealers, since gang shootings would probably go up. Obviously, you'd have to shoot anyone giving drugs to kids in the head. Gotta work better than what we're doing right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 08:59 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Another stat that I'm sure will make Joe dirty his diapers is:

In 2019 TEN (10) unarmed blacks were killed by the police over 7000 were killed by other than police.
I’ll reserve my opinion until you show the stats for white people

Old 06-10-2020, 10:03 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I’ll reserve my opinion until you show the stats for white people
It was 20 unarmed white people were killed by police in 2019.

Comparing Germany and France with the USA is apples and oranges.

The USA is 24 times bigger than Germany and USA is 18 times bigger than France.

Germany had 11 people killed by police - times difference in size (24) could have been 264 people.

France had 26 people killed by police - times difference in size (18) could have been 468 people.

All of this is making the ole USA looking pretty darn good.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 06-10-2020 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 10:43 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It is interesting to note, that places with more restrictive gun laws (re: private ownership) seem to tend to have higher rates of police killings. Switzerland, which mandates weapon ownership by citizens, is at the bottom of the list.

This same tendency is apparent in the US as well- in areas where gun laws are less restrictive and police can expect more citizens to be armed there are fewer incidents of 'police brutality' and death at the hands of LE personnel, while areas where gun laws are more restrictive experience a higher rate of 'brutality' and death.

This is one of the primary reasons for the existence of the 2nd Amendment.
This post is beyond ludicrous. Here are the 'top 21' countries on this list, sorting from the lowest rate:

Denmark
Iceland
Switzerland
Japan
UK
Poland
Taiwan
India
Portugal
Sweden
Germany
Hong Kong
Nepal
Australia
Finland
Norway
New Zealand
Netherlands
Indonesia
France
Canada

21 so we can include Canada! The above list includes some of the most peaceful countries in the world; it only follows that civilians being killed at the hands of law enforcement would be rare. I'm not about to analyze the rate of gun ownership of all 21 of these places, but I'd imagine that if a correlation exists, it'd be a negative one--in other words, overall, these places would rank low on the gun ownership scale. But way to cherry-pick the one outlier (and Switzerland has a long history of pacifism, obviously)

Old 06-11-2020, 02:52 AM

303 posts, read 128,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Germany had 11 people killed by police - times difference in size (24) could have been 264 people.

France had 26 people killed by police - times difference in size (18) could have been 468 people.

USA is NOT 24 times more populous than Germany. More like 4 times (320 mill vs 80 mill).

So adjusting for population, Germany could have had 44 people killed by cops. So, 44 for Germany vs 1536 for United States. I fail to see how this makes USA look 'pretty darn good'.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:39 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
It is interesting to note, that places with more restrictive gun laws (re: private ownership) seem to tend to have higher rates of police killings. Switzerland, which mandates weapon ownership by citizens, is at the bottom of the list.

This same tendency is apparent in the US as well- in areas where gun laws are less restrictive and police can expect more citizens to be armed there are fewer incidents of 'police brutality' and death at the hands of LE personnel, while areas where gun laws are more restrictive experience a higher rate of 'brutality' and death.

This has to be a joke right! 1500+ killed by police in the US, 3 (THREE) killed in the UK - yes 3! Thank god for the guns eh!

Old 06-11-2020, 07:33 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
America. Freedom to kill an individual for not aligning with your politics.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:16 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:

Are you joking? If not, I’m not sure which data set you’re looking at.

Quote:

You can sort the list by per capita. The US still does not look good.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-11-2020 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 12:55 PM

326 posts, read 672,846 times
Quote:

It's population that should be compared. Not physical sizes of the countries.

So, no. the USA do not look good at all when it comes to deaths by law enforcement compared to other developed nations.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:01 PM

326 posts, read 672,846 times
Quote:

Switzerland does not mandate weapon ownership. You don't have to have a gun in Switzerland but you are allowed to have one, or more, for hunting, sport-shooting or collecting. Most people in Switzerland do not carry a gun on their person or in their vehicles on a daily basis, they donÄt even have the required permit. In fact I have never seen anyone carry a gun on my many visits to Zurich, Bern, Geneva and other places in Switzerland.

I have however seen quite a few guns being carried by people in public in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates