Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
No I have just seen the progression a lot

18-20 - party years even if you say you do not drink a lot these years you drink the most compared to other years

21-24- you slow down. Going out every night is not cool any more. This age set my still get hammered but it's not as prevalent as the 18-20 group.

25+- officially over it. All you want to do is stay home read a book and play scrabble. Everyone under the age of 25 annoys the crap out of you because they are so loud and you want to do is sleep.
I don't think its so much about being more mature or getting over it so much as having a real job (40 hrs M-F) and responsibilities draining all your energy. I admit I dont drink like I did in college but I think its more the fact that I have to get up everyday at 7 and work 8 hours instead of having no classes until noon and being done with class by 5. Give people the college lifestyle back and you will find people enjoy drinking/partying just as much as they used to.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Its 18 here in the UK and its a real mess. Drink culture is out of control. I think 21 is a much better age, now that I have seen both sides, and I dont think the age limit should be lowered. 18 yr old are really not responsible enough. You dont realize this until you have grown up enough to look back and see.
Alot of adults aren't that responsible either. How can you argue not letting someone have an alcoholic beverage if an 18 year-old can :a)Get drafted into the military
b)Get the death penalty
c)Be tried as an adult?

If you can die for your nation, then you should be able to have a beer. Alcohol isn't the problem, the person is. Irresponsibility knows no age limit. There are people being drafted into the military who aren't responsible enough to be there.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley
..........wait, teenagers do not yet have a fully developed sense of judgement. .
And yet, we allow them to vote for president
Yeah, and look what happend - That proved that point.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Alot of adults aren't that responsible either. How can you argue not letting someone have an alcoholic beverage if an 18 year-old can :a)Get drafted into the military
b)Get the death penalty
c)Be tried as an adult?

If you can die for your nation, then you should be able to have a beer. Alcohol isn't the problem, the person is. Irresponsibility knows no age limit. There are people being drafted into the military who aren't responsible enough to be there.
There's a draft?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
There's a draft?
Correction. Be eligible for military service.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I don't think its so much about being more mature or getting over it so much as having a real job (40 hrs M-F) and responsibilities draining all your energy. I admit I dont drink like I did in college but I think its more the fact that I have to get up everyday at 7 and work 8 hours instead of having no classes until noon and being done with class by 5. Give people the college lifestyle back and you will find people enjoy drinking/partying just as much as they used to.
I've seen people in their 40's still out getting their drink on. I'm not saying they're the most mature, but they do have those "responsibilities" you mentioned. And still somehow function. I also knew someone who would go home and drink a six pack....because she'd then call me up drunk at the store where I was trying to finish up, get cleaned up and close the store so I could walk out and enjoy the rest of MY evening. She was "technically" the manager--but had no actual power.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Correction. Be eligible for military service.

Ah, so it is voluntary.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Iv'e always thought it funny, that our high schools now call the boys/girls sports teams the mens/womens teams. Either they are boys and girls or they are men and women.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
If there are so many people who insist on being able to drink legally at 18, why then let 'em! But they should understand that they'll be held legally responsible when, how shall I put it, something untoward happens as a result of their drinking.

Happy now? Go out and get just as toasted as you please! (Because that's really what they want, isn't it? They certainly don't want to sit around chatting and taking tiny sips like you see on television commercials).

Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I seem to remember saying this before, but I can't remember if its back in there somewhere.

I would propose that any person can legally drink on their first birthday after graduating from high school, or at age 21, whichever comes first. The only way a person can drink earlier than age 21 is by staying in school, graduating, and earning that special privilege in return for showing that kind of maturity and discipline. Dropouts have to wait. Call it a bribe if you want to, but it would do no harm to encourage students to stay in school until they graduate.

The only reason I say on the birthday after HS grad, is so you don't have the entire graduating class running out on a binge on the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates