Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 AM

609 posts, read 1,175,053 times

Advertisements

Now this only applies to one arguement used by vegetarians, and only applies to a small "vegetarian extremist group" which is what I would catagorize my aunt as.

she thinks that everyone should be V's, because meat wastes too much land. it takes something like 10 pounds of feed to produce 1 pound of meat!

now when you hear that you might be shocked and be like wow thats wasteful!!! but then you come back to reality and realize "hey i freaking love to eat meat!!!"

anyways here comes the hypocrytical part. She hoenstly believes and this is one of her main, although not only reasons for being a vegetarian. its that it uses less farmland then meat and therefore more people can eat. now she realizes and we realize that by one perosn eating vegetables, they arent going to give all that extra food she saved to starving african children. but she still stands by it. and she beleives that if everyone was a vegetarian, there would be enough food for everyone by far.... however........ she also smokes... and drink alcohol..

how much farm land is used on goriwng tabacco and the vegtables used to make alcohol!! what a hypocryt!!! when i said this at the fmaily table about her smoking and drinking, she just sat there shocked, the family laughed and she obviously couldnt respond..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:58 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
There are hypocrites of all flavors and persuasions; it's not confined to vegetarians or meat-eaters or any other group.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
There are hypocrites of all flavors and persuasions; it's not confined to vegetarians or meat-eaters or any other group.
oh yeah i know!! me of all people am the biggest hypocryt I know!!! in so many ways. everyones a hypocryt. everyones lied, or made big mistakes, cheated or done something bad.

i guess it should have been more about a flaw in the logic of vegetarian thought. or idealogy.. i dunno..

Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
That's not truly a logical flaw.
It's 2 separate issues. She has a point about the land use issue regarding meat farming. But does that mean that she needs to concern herself with every single land issue that there is?
By your logic, she should either be concerned with all land issues or with none. That's not very reasonable. It would be more hypocritical for her to say that she doesn't eat meat because of health - but also smokes. But even that doesn't seem too hypocritical to me. After all, should a person only do "good" things or only do "bad" things just to avoid being hypocritical?
You can call almost everything hypocritical. I think that true vegetarian hypocrisy would be one who proclaims that meat-eating is bad (for whatever reason) but still eats meat. Everything else is a bit of a stretch.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Personally, I don't think it's anyone's business whether one is a meat-eater or a vegetarian, although it is clear that PETA members and the like have it in their heads that they want YOU to behave as they tell you to.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
That's not truly a logical flaw.
It's 2 separate issues. She has a point about the land use issue regarding meat farming. But does that mean that she needs to concern herself with every single land issue that there is?
By your logic, she should either be concerned with all land issues or with none. That's not very reasonable. It would be more hypocritical for her to say that she doesn't eat meat because of health - but also smokes. But even that doesn't seem too hypocritical to me. After all, should a person only do "good" things or only do "bad" things just to avoid being hypocritical?
You can call almost everything hypocritical. I think that true vegetarian hypocrisy would be one who proclaims that meat-eating is bad (for whatever reason) but still eats meat. Everything else is a bit of a stretch.
no its hypocrytical saying "land shouldnt be wasted on meat cause i dont think so!! but for alcohol and cigarettes its ok!!!'

Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I have never met a vegetarian, moderate or otherwise, who does not wear leather shoes. Never and I have met alot.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have never met a vegetarian, moderate or otherwise, who does not wear leather shoes. Never and I have met alot.
Nor have I.

I understand that many of them also object to clothing made from natural fibers like wool or cotton too.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante

Nor have I.

I understand that many of them also object to clothing made from natural fibers like wool or cotton too.
Well, I know that neither of you have "met" me - but I am a moderate vegetarian who does not wear any leather. I do avoid wool - but I have a wool coat. I wear plenty of cotton. Synthetic fibers often suck.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
no its hypocrytical saying "land shouldnt be wasted on meat cause i dont think so!! but for alcohol and cigarettes its ok!!!'
That's not hypocritical.
If her main point is "no land should ever be wasted" then, sure.
But she wants specifically no land wasted on meat production. Presumably because she thinks that meat production is more devastating or more wasteful than other forms of land use - I don't know - that's her deal but I don't see hypocrisy in what you have pointed out about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates