Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have raised two kids to their early 20s and I was a kid myself once, at a school with a heavy drinking culture. I know how kids get alcohol. I don't think you need to make it easier. I think parents who buy it for their kids are the epitome of irresponsible.

???
It's really not making it easier. Where there is a will there is a way. I only know of a few kids who have parents that actually buy alcohol for there them (and I agree that is pretty irresponsible) but most get it from someone they have it in good with; i.e. 'the hookup.' Kids who are fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, and seventeen are going to get alcohol (either from a sibling or from a friend of a friend). It won't be easier access or more readily available than it is now. But, I do see your point and tip my hat to you for raising two kids (especially in today's world).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:
I have raised two kids to their early 20s and I was a kid myself once, at a school with a heavy drinking culture. I know how kids get alcohol. I don't think you need to make it easier. I think parents who buy it for their kids are the epitome of irresponsible.
Why do you think it's irresponsible for a parent to let, say, an older teen drink?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
???
It's really not making it easier. Where there is a will there is a way. I only know of a few kids who have parents that actually buy alcohol for there them (and I agree that is pretty irresponsible) but most get it from someone they have it in good with; i.e. 'the hookup.' Kids who are fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, and seventeen are going to get alcohol (either from a sibling or from a friend of a friend). It won't be easier access or more readily available than it is now. But, I do see your point and tip my hat to you for raising two kids (especially in today's world).
Yes, where there's a will there's a way, but. . The easier you make it, the more likely kids are to drink. It certainly will be easier if the kids themselves (at 18) or their older classmate friends can go into a liquor store and buy alcohol. It's sort of the same principle as locking your car/house when you're gone. Sure, where there's a will there's a way, but at least it's some deterrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Why do you think it's irresponsible for a parent to let, say, an older teen drink?
I have a friend whose daughter is now in rehab from that. It shows approval. Again, there is research that kids who are allowed to drink at home are MORE not less likely to drink in other situations. Granted, there may be some research out there that shows the opposite, but no one has referred to that. Everyone on this thread is just giving their personal opinions about "forbidden fruit", sneaking, etc.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,148 times
What's really funny is these brats will be saying the say things to their kids 20 years from now and some big mouth teenager will be spewing the same "I have rights" crap that they are trying to shove down our throats.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
# 1, it's illegal and # 2, you giving your seal of approval to something they shouldn't be doing. When kids drink, they also do dumb stuff like get into cars and drive into ditches. I have a friend who told her 18 year that he could drink but only around the house. Well, when mom wasn't home one night, he got drunk, got into the car and drove it into a ditch near their house. He was arrested and now he has a DUI on his record. The news is full of incidents just like this so it is not just an occasional mishap.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It shows approval.
Okay, but why do you not approve of drinking?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
When kids drink, they also do dumb stuff like get into cars and drive into ditches.
Approving of drinking is the same thing in your mind to approving drunk driving?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
What's really funny is these brats will be saying the say things to their kids 20 years from now and some big mouth teenager will be spewing the same "I have rights" crap that they are trying to shove down our throats.

Here we go again.

Well, the kids do have rights. If you didn't want them to, then I don't know, move em to where it's still legal to stone your kids if they don't follow what you say. And don't say we responsible young folk are brats just because we don't bow down and listlessly listen to every word you say; it's called free thought and thinking for oneself; you should partake sometime.

But anyway, lets get back on topic!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Approving of drinking is the same thing in your mind to approving drunk driving?
Drinking often leads to other activities, not just drunk driving. Alcohol poisoning, unconcentual sex, drug use, etc.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Here we go again.

Well, the kids do have rights. If you didn't want them to, then I don't know, move em to where it's still legal to stone your kids if they don't follow what you say. And don't say we responsible young folk are brats just because we don't bow down and listlessly listen to every word you say; it's called free thought and thinking for oneself; you should partake sometime.

But anyway, lets get back on topic!
You are proving my point exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates