Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times

Advertisements

Redisca,

Great points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:41 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,496 times
I am going way back to the post by "WhatSayYou". That was my favorite. It is by far a huge problem in today's society. I managed to work full-time and also be there for my kids. We had a two parent household and our kids were all teenagers in the '90's - not that long ago. There were friends of our kids who got everything they wanted and my husband and I refused to fall for it. We also didn't tote them around to every event under the sun. They had limits. (Oh, my!!) We instilled in our kids the things we grew up with. I wanted them to grow into adults that are RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE, and RESOURCEFUL. We succeeded and very happy for them!!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 PM

275 posts, read 469,602 times
this is a very interesting argument, and i think it has a lot of valid points. back in the day when the man went to work and the mom stayed home with the kids, moms/dads didnt buy unnecessary items, fancy technology, or take fancy vacations. they spent money on the things that were vital, home, food, utilities, clothes and didn't overdo it. today, it seems parents, not all, spend excessively. kids get everything they ask for. parents order out for dinner more than they cook. i agree a lot with whatnow posted above, as my parents raised me to be respectful, responsible, and resourceful. i love to find a good bargain and do not purchase items i do not need or cannot afford. society has become so materialistic its sickening. parents do not discipline kids like they used to, which i think only contributes to declining morals. just a thought to, things seemed more simple in more traditional times where the husband works and woman stays home with the kids. im not saying this is right or wrong, as its very difficult nowadays to support a family on two salaries

Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
To the OP: I don't think women entering the workforce was the real root cause of any downturn.

What I think happened was, when women entered the workforce, household income became a two person number, home prices rose to meet that. Thereby making it a necessity for both parents to work, and thereby less attention was available for childrearing.

So in the end, I'd blame our economic engineering, in that we've not worked human issues into it.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:11 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
To the OP: I don't think women entering the workforce was the real root cause of any downturn.

What I think happened was, when women entered the workforce, household income became a two person number, home prices rose to meet that. Thereby making it a necessity for both parents to work, and thereby less attention was available for childrearing.

So in the end, I'd blame our economic engineering, in that we've not worked human issues into it.
yeah, i agree here. our society got comfy with the idea of a two-person income. now, it is hard to survive without it. we are really becoming a nation that lives to work. sad. no one gender or political party is to blame; it is all of us as a culture.

aaron out.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I agree with the above two posts with one caveat: I think it is possible to live on one income, but people don't like their lifestyles without all the crap they're used to buying.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree with the above two posts with one caveat: I think it is possible to live on one income, but people don't like their lifestyles without all the crap they're used to buying.
good clarification. i shouldn't say that one can't live on one income. my family lives on one income. but, it does take some discipline, and it requires a family to accept that they aren't going to have the typical luxuries that have somehow become normal and needed in our world. i am sure that there are plenty of folks that make it work, and gladly so, trading physical commodities for a possibly tighter family. i just think that those people are overshadowed by the throngs of people that lack that kind of discipline.

disclaimers: i referred to america in an earlier post, though america is not alone in this. i have seen it in north america, south america, asia, and europe. america seems to be at the forefront of a lot of it though, and i am not sure how much of that is our actual blind greed, and how much is just my sour perspective of the situation.

also, i do realize that some families can not by any means live on one income. i know families that are burdened with medical bills and will lose their homes or apartments if both parents are not working two jobs or more. our systems are really screwed up, and something needs to be fixed. if it is necessary for a family to employ 2 or more workers merely to survive, we are not doing all that we can in order to correct the problem.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:22 PM

72 posts, read 133,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
This is true. Women today, even married ones feel more and more pressure to provide their husbands with something pretty to look especially when there are other women out there ready to jump on your man.
I disagree, "pre-today" women didn't go to the store in their pajamas.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:56 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,496 times
maeday - So true about the pajamas. Yikes! Where's their pride?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Not all women choose to enter the workforce. My mother worked because she had NO choice. With six kids and a mediocre income from my father she had to work to help support the family.

And then it got to the point that both parents had to work just to keep a house and put food on the table.

One of the often missed results of stay-at-home moms after the war was alcoholism. With the kids in school and "nothing to do", they drank. So the kids and dad came home to a drunk mother and wife. At least they had a chance at staying sober in the workforce. Do some reseach and you might be surprised at how prevalent this problem was.

As for working mothers causing the moral and ethical problems seen today, well it certainly hasn't helped any, but there are other, more significant issues that seem minor, but really aren't.

For example, what did your children wear to school today? An old, un-ironed T shirt with some Rock and Roll band on it and a pair jeans or shorts hanging down past their ass? Perhaps a skimpy top with the bra straps and part of the bra hanging out over a pair of low rider jeans showing off the thong and Tramp Stamp. Caps on backwards with logos or "signs" that aggravate other groups within the school? Did they take their cell phone to play with instead of actually paying attention in school? Are your teachers allowed to correct them or is your kid one of those that is never wrong no matter what they do.

When is the last time you made them shut off a vidoe game because it was so violent that they shouldn't be playing it? Do you have any idea at all what games they play? Have you made them turn off music spouting garbage that is demeaning to women, cops, parents, teachers? Send them outside to play using their imagination? Figure out that there really are a bunch of pills missing from the medicine cabinet?

Have you watched the idiots on YouTube recently? These are role models for your kids you know.

I know I missed abut 90% of it but that's a start.

Mothers working? A drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates