Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times

Advertisements

Here's another winner!!

The Associated Press: Video shows Wash. sheriff's deputy kicking teen

Video here:http://www.komonews.com/home/video/4...?video=pop&t=a Deputy dip**** pulls her up by her hair!!! A "highly" trained officer can't even handle a 15 year old girl!!! WTF???

"Schene was investigated previously for shooting two people — killing one — in the line of duty in 2002 and 2006. Both times his actions were found to be justified, said Ian Goodhew, prosecutor's deputy chief of staff"
Too bad they didn't get those shootings on tape. Makes me wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:45 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Why does this schizophrenia toward police officers exist in the US?
PLEASE, OP, google schizophrenia.

Then ask a mod to help you retitle this post.

There is no excuse in this day and age for such a bad misuse of the word.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Here's another winner!!

The Associated Press: Video shows Wash. sheriff's deputy kicking teen

Video here:KOMO News - Video - Video - Watch raw video of the holding cell incident Deputy dip**** pulls her up by her hair!!! A "highly" trained officer can't even handle a 15 year old girl!!! WTF???

"Schene was investigated previously for shooting two people — killing one — in the line of duty in 2002 and 2006. Both times his actions were found to be justified, said Ian Goodhew, prosecutor's deputy chief of staff"
Too bad they didn't get those shootings on tape. Makes me wonder.

Cop Uses Taser to Save Elderly Man From Charging Bull
FOXNews.com - Cop Uses Taser to Save Elderly Man From Charging Bull - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Cop helps save life at Midway
Cop helps save life at Midway - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/robert-gamez-heart-defibrillator-midway.html - broken link)

Heroic cop saves judge from attack
Heroic cop saves judge from attack News - Yahoo!Xtra News

Hero Cop, Firefighter Save Boy From Burning Home
Hero Cop, Firefighter Save Boy From Burning Middletown Home - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/middletown.fire.hero.2.944033.html - broken link)

Cop saves family from fire
Cop saves family from fire | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

Cops are people and as I said before, there are good cops and there are bad cops. We can keep comparing d**ks. but it will go nowhere......

Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM

240 posts, read 352,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
Cop Uses Taser to Save Elderly Man From Charging Bull
FOXNews.com - Cop Uses Taser to Save Elderly Man From Charging Bull - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Cop helps save life at Midway
Cop helps save life at Midway - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/robert-gamez-heart-defibrillator-midway.html - broken link)

Heroic cop saves judge from attack
Heroic cop saves judge from attack News - Yahoo!Xtra News

Hero Cop, Firefighter Save Boy From Burning Home
Hero Cop, Firefighter Save Boy From Burning Middletown Home - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/middletown.fire.hero.2.944033.html - broken link)

Cop saves family from fire
Cop saves family from fire | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

Cops are people and as I said before, there are good cops and there are bad cops. We can keep comparing d**ks. but it will go nowhere......
Yah but you have to see that there is an extremely high% of bad cops, partly because its so damn hard to get rid of the bad ones. The bad ones are protected and cuddled as much as the good ones, THAT is the problem.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
well like always you hate it when you get caught crap. SO WHAT if he was helping an old lady across the street??? He ALMOST GOT HER KILLED JAYWALKING!!!!!!

I know who has a stick up his donkey and it ain't the cop.......
Mom and I always jaywalk because it takes her about two lights to cross the street.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Mom and I always jaywalk because it takes her about two lights to cross the street.
LOL! But then this is the kind of thing that leads to what is known as "the officer's discretion" in dealing with actions that are technically violations.

Unfortunately, I'm noticing that there was some real discussion of the original question in the early pages of this thread, but now it seems to have degenerated into mostly cop-bashing. Except for NoLove and maybe one or two others, since we got back on topic after wandering off for a while there, most of the posts have been stories, videos, etc., about bad, or in some cases borderline or questionable, situations involving the conduct of various cops.

It's a bit awkward to bring up this next part, because I don't want to sound full of myself, but I do find it interesting that it has now been a week since I posted with a few thoughts on my experiences working in the law enforcement field, and NoLove's compliment about that post has been the only reference to it. I have gotten a couple of reps about that post, but, other than these compliments, no one has responded to a former cop's post about actual experiences on the job. I wonder whether this might be another indicator that at this point too many people on here are more interested in bashing cops than in having a serious discussion. One exception along with NoLove: Fungame's post about the difficulty in weeding out the bad apples. I'll agree that this is a problem. I'll also tell you that the experience of dealing with a bad attitude from the public can wear on a person, and over time can change even very good cops.

If there is anyone here who is interested in some good reads that give an unvarnished, balanced inside view of police work, I would recommend three of Joseph Wambaugh's early novels: The New Centurions, The Blue Knight, and The Choirboys. From my perspective in my current occupation--aspiring writer, and older college student majoring in English--I see a flaw in The Choirboys as a piece of writing, because an important turn in the plot hinges on a coincidence. There is a little bit of coincidence at one point in The Blue Knight as well, though it's easier to overlook because it does not lead to a major shift in the plot. Still, all three novels provide an excellent realistic look at cops and law enforcement. I would also highly recommend a non-fiction book with the title Blue Truth, written by Cherokee Paul McDonald. All of these books provide an honest look at cops--some good, some bad, a lot in between, but all viewed from the inside perspective of how a human being reacts to the experience of working in law enforcement. Any or all would be really good reads for those seriously interested in gaining an understanding of what makes cops tick.

Last edited by ogre; 03-02-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I've read Wambaugh. I was raised to respect the law. Just a moment ago I fully intended to pontificate mightily and at length about the police in my jurisdiction whom I've had the displeasure of meeting. There's not enough wind in my sails at the moment to complete the task. Suffice it to say that I have little respect for them.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM

113 posts, read 155,769 times
All cops are pigs. They are not to be trusted. They are not trying to help you when they "just want to ask a few questions".

Never talk to them. Never agree to answer a few questions. Never agree to help them "clear a few things up".

As for the pigs that kick in the wrong doors, or attack people for no reason... well; these porkers are acting like mad dogs and need to be put down as such.

End of story.

Last edited by Binky .357; 03-03-2009 at 08:21 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 06:33 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Re Wambaugh, I would especially recommend his early novels that I referred to earlier. His novels changed, starting around the early '80's. Not as good, in my opinion, either as pieces of writing or as candid, detailed views of cops and the work they do. Some of Wambaugh's non-fiction books continued to be good. I couldn't tell you about anything he's done in, say, the past ten years. I haven't read, or even looked at, any of those. I lost interest after fifteen years of Wambaugh novels that consistently failed to grab me.

Re Binky's post, well, now, this is the Great Debates forum, which is supposed to be an arena for the serious discussion of ideas, rather than bashing, or unsubstantiated ranting. It's refreshing to see such a thoughtful, well-reasoned post raise the already-high standards of this forum to a whole new level.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Re Binky's post, well, now, this is the Great Debates forum, which is supposed to be an arena for the serious discussion of ideas, rather than bashing, or unsubstantiated ranting. It's refreshing to see such a thoughtful, well-reasoned post raise the already-high standards of this forum to a whole new level.
yeah, nothing like adding that useless blather to the mix......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates