Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:20 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I have yet to see a credible source that makes a good case for us not peaking within 20 years. And even if it's 30, that's only a difference of 10 years.

We are well past the time to develop alternative fueled vehicles and power sources and get them in place.
I've yet to see a credible scource that places peak beyond 2015. We do know that the ultimate recoverable reserves lie somewhere between 2.2 and 2.6 trillion barrells. Now even if the recoverable base was 3 trillion, this still places peak at 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:00 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
The Oil and Gas Journal and the USGS both say we have about 20 Billion BBL of reserves in the US. That is well less than 10 years of production. Production in the US is about 5 Million bbl/day and consumption is about 19 Million bbl/day.

The fiction that there are vast untapped reserves that the government is blocking development of is just tin foil hat stuff. People quote huge numbers, but the vast amount of oil in these formations is locked up in tight formations and can't be economically recovered. The only significant field where there is economically recoverable oil is ANWR.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
You know what's going to happen, don't you? We're going to find ourselves on a planet without any more oil reserves. That's when we'll do what we should've started doing 30 years ago. (On the plus side, it will remove OPEC as a bloc to be reckoned with. At that time, we'll be able to tell those nations formerly holding us hostage for oil which pier to jump off!)

Old 04-05-2009, 05:55 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
People don't want to know, is my take. I hear on Rush that there's an infinite supply of oil, and some capitalist-Christians say God will "up" the supply as long as we profess our undying love for him, officially, in our government.

I'll be renting it. Thanks!
just go to u tube... u can watch all the documentaries you want for free they have that video i saw it there two years ago... u tube has over 50 thousand documentaries just type in documentarys and what subject matter you want to watch.. they have a lot of oil documentaries.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
People don't want to know, is my take. I hear on Rush that there's an infinite supply of oil, and some capitalist-Christians say God will "up" the supply as long as we profess our undying love for him, officially, in our government.

I'll be renting it. Thanks!
I've never once heard the "capitalist-Christian" argument that you speak of. Can you provide a source, or is this just hearsay? As a Christian, I'd be very interested in a little more insight on this philosophy because its surely not anything i've ever heard in Christian teachings.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Yes & no. Market forces are very strong, but don't underestimate the authority of the feds. I could easily see government mandates that an certain amount of vehicles produced (as an example) must be hybrid or run entirely off an alternative fuel source.
Yeah, but keep in mind that by now, 10% of all cars sold in Cali were supposed to be pure elctrics. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, Cali backed off. The feds would have to do the same. Well, probably do the same. never understimate government stupidity.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Yeah, but keep in mind that by now, 10% of all cars sold in Cali were supposed to be pure elctrics. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, Cali backed off. The feds would have to do the same. Well, probably do the same. never understimate government stupidity.
Well of course, no one is going to buy them. They are nice as long as the battery pack is charged, but say you want to go on a road trip...once you discharge the batteries you're stuck till they charge again. Without that new tech from Toshiba for a battery that charges ultra quick (currently in industrial only production) you're stuck for a good long while. Sucks if you want to go more then the range of the car at any time, or if you want to move somewhere else. I'd like to see more Lithium hybrid diesels, that will have one heck of a millage.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 AM

830 posts, read 2,861,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What is ludicrous is flatly making a statement like that under assumptive data. Are you some how privy to data that even the 99.9~% of the worlds population does not hold? Without it anything including the graph I posted is pure speculation.

My post above certainly does not include anything I have not posted before, matter of fact I could probably dig up similar ones I made years ago if you're interested.

I did some business valuation work for Exxon Mobil about five years ago. They provided us all of their reserve and production estimates. No end in sight to reserves, according to them. Now five years later the world is in a tizzy about running out of oil.

I'm not arguing right or wrong, I just think it's funny how the world, pick a topic, constantly goes from one extreme to the other. In other five years we'll probably be talking about what we're going to do with all of this excess oil we have. Ha!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I did some business valuation work for Exxon Mobil about five years ago. They provided us all of their reserve and production estimates. No end in sight to reserves, according to them. Now five years later the world is in a tizzy about running out of oil.

I'm not arguing right or wrong, I just think it's funny how the world, pick a topic, constantly goes from one extreme to the other. In other five years we'll probably be talking about what we're going to do with all of this excess oil we have. Ha!
Yep. We live in a binary society. There is no middle ground, only the extreme ends. That tends to happen on EVERY social issue.

As for the oil problem. Too bad. Keep driving your monster trucks and SUV's. Keep living wastefully. And then whine about it. Makes sense, no? (speaking generally, not to you specifically)

Once it happens, I guess we'll all go back to using our legs until some genius comes up with a better mouse trap... which, of course should have been developed long ago. I think we are all too busy spinning around in circles and wringing our hands worrying about the sky falling rather than worrying about surviving it.

The real losers will be the mid-east oil producers. That's the only thing they have that's worth a damn to the rest of the world (unless they can get a car to run on sand and dust). Oh well.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yep. We live in a binary society. There is no middle ground, only the extreme ends. That tends to happen on EVERY social issue.
So true...though even if there is a balanced middle group people just say you're a sellout and appealing to the "Mushy Middle".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates