Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Wow thats impressive. I've always respected people who work hard with their hands. I'm a small guy and its best I stick with the tough mental work. Your post reminded me of the History Channel show Ice Road Truckers...
Now those ice road truckers guys are really tough!

I too am a small guy (5'6"). I only did this sort of work to get me through seven years of college after which I too was launched into the mental work as a cubicle-bound wildlife biologist for over two decades. Now that I am retired, I have preferred to go back to working with my hands. I just came in from digging a 8" deep trough around the base of an old locust tree so I can keep it watered and try to bring it back from near death from having not been watered in several years while the house stood vacant. Funny but I think the short-handled shovel I just used is one of the same shovels we used to move houses some thirty years ago. This evening I will replace an overhead flourescent kitchen fixture with an upgraded one and replace the diverter valve in the rear shower. Tomorrow I will likely continue pulling old fence posts with a tractor and chain around a horse barn that is in desperate need of new roofing tin.

Compared to cubicle work, I love it and plan to work with my hands as long as I am able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I am assuming that some "work" is "harder" than other work. I base this opinion on the old South. White plantation owners needed to get two things done. They needed to get the cotton picked, and they needed to calculate the profits from their cotton. Is it not interesting that every single one of them chose to do the "hard work" of calculating the profits, and none of them chose to pick the cotton. They must have intuitively known something that we do not understand. Calculating the profits must have been much harder work, though, because it paid so much better.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:38 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Now those ice road truckers guys are really tough!

I too am a small guy (5'6"). I only did this sort of work to get me through seven years of college after which I too was launched into the mental work as a cubicle-bound wildlife biologist for over two decades. Now that I am retired, I have preferred to go back to working with my hands. I just came in from digging a 8" deep trough around the base of an old locust tree so I can keep it watered and try to bring it back from near death from having not been watered in several years while the house stood vacant. Funny but I think the short-handled shovel I just used is one of the same shovels we used to move houses some thirty years ago. This evening I will replace an overhead flourescent kitchen fixture with an upgraded one and replace the diverter valve in the rear shower. Tomorrow I will likely continue pulling old fence posts with a tractor and chain around a horse barn that is in desperate need of new roofing tin.

Compared to cubicle work, I love it and plan to work with my hands as long as I am able.
Hey thats awesome. Maybe i'm just selling myself short but as long as you are enjoying what you do and it keeps you busy all the power to you. It sounds like you are doing worthy things too, its amazing how resilient those locust trees are eh. Anyway, all great challenges so good luck with all your work! You are what I call a hard worker!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Is "hard work" merely "physical"? Or, can using the brain (mental) also be hard work? I suggest that Mental work can also be "hard" work.

I have had occassions to have to do in depth research for a client - then craft documents based on that research and to make our point - some of these occassions have involved working, at my desk, for 48 hours straight - no sleep (or very little). When done, I was both physically and mentally drained.

Hard work? Yep.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Is "hard work" merely "physical"? Or, can using the brain (mental) also be hard work? I suggest that Mental work can also be "hard" work.

I have had occassions to have to do in depth research for a client - then craft documents based on that research and to make our point - some of these occassions have involved working, at my desk, for 48 hours straight - no sleep (or very little). When done, I was both physically and mentally drained.

Hard work? Yep.
I've done both manual labour and office work and I concur, mental work can be just as hard work as any other..

Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,742 times
I find the physical aspect of my job (40%) to be way more satisfying and easier than the mental part.

The physical part is just good work..outside. The mental part involves computer programs, management of employees, and other stressors.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Hey thats awesome. Maybe i'm just selling myself short but as long as you are enjoying what you do and it keeps you busy all the power to you. It sounds like you are doing worthy things too, its amazing how resilient those locust trees are eh. Anyway, all great challenges so good luck with all your work! You are what I call a hard worker!
Well, I didn't get to the kitchen light fixtures or the shower as I had to replace the brake master cylinder on my Accord.

I recently bought this old west Texas farm house as a retirement "refuge" but I may have let my heart overload my brain as I may now have taken on more work than I have time left on Earth. However, the golden eagle sitting on the fence post behind the house last weekend assured me I probably made the right decision. And yesterday I was startled by a large mule deer as she ran startled from the bar ditch of the dirt road I had decided to take back to the house. Luckily I wasn't in the Accord or we both would have looked like a doe in a headlight beam!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:52 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,440 times
Hard Work is what Obama has to deal with now

Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Hard work? Yep.

Mental work is extremely hard work. It is exhausting. A large portion of what I do is investigative.

This whole one is better than another operates more like a caste system or aids to keep it intact.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Mental work is extremely hard work. It is exhausting. .
Yes, just thinking about all those slaves picking cotton 'd like to wore Rhett Butler plum out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates