Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

certain things would be nice to have freaking permits. like if you wanted to add a deck to the back of the house, or plant different types of trees. Maybe you might want a fence higher that 6 feel...I think things like that should be no big deal...
But everything 'man" does is always a pain in the ass.....and to think, "man" makes up thses rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
The City of Houston has limited zoning and property owners have more rights in that community than almost anyplace in America. Many people believe that as a property owner you should be able to do just about anything you want to your property.

If you do not like your home, rebuild it without permits

If you do not like the forest in your backyard, clear cut it

If you want to open a retail business in your home, great

If you want to tear down your home and put a 7-11 store instead, good luck it is your land.

What do you think about the concept of total property rights?
This concept is something that each locality should deal as they see fit. In the spirit of the Constitution that issue is left to the states to handle, not the federal government. I think as a group localities can request to have restrictions on themselves to have somewhat of a living environment we desire. There may be enough people that may not want pigs in there community and that is why some communities may not allow farm animals in the city, take care.

So, I may not agree with some local ordinance and if that is the case then I would let city hall know my view and see there is enough people that agree with me and try to change it. If I am not successful then I have to accept it. That is the democratic process, take care.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
That is totally up to local voters and I don't see nany movement to change zoning laws.I fasct I see quite the opposite with so mnay assocations and HOAs.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I believe that there should be a mixture of options in an area so that people can choose for themselves if they want to live in one with many restrictions, some or none.

My neighborhood is nice but not super anal about that stuff. I couldn't stand living in a neighborhood that had lots of rules but I sure as heck don't want a neighbor that has 60 dogs etc.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
The City of Houston has limited zoning and property owners have more rights in that community than almost anyplace in America. Many people believe that as a property owner you should be able to do just about anything you want to your property.

If you do not like your home, rebuild it without permits

If you do not like the forest in your backyard, clear cut it

If you want to open a retail business in your home, great

If you want to tear down your home and put a 7-11 store instead, good luck it is your land.

What do you think about the concept of total property rights?
It's more nuanced than the way the OP described it...

How Houston gets along without zoning - BusinessWeek

Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I wouldn't want my city to look like Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates