Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times

Advertisements

Great Debates?
A great debate currently being waged in our country is States Rights vs. Federal Rights and the issue bringing this to the spotlight is Medical Marijuana.

Ron Paul a proponent of State Rights recently co-sponsored a bill with Barney Frank to decriminalize marijuana at the Federal level.

President Obama immediately shot back reversing the previous position of his administration to not make prosecuting medical marijuana a priority.

This is truly one of the Great Debates dating back to Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.

Please people - weigh in with your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
In todays economical hard times i find it amazing the stuff hasnt been legalized and billions in taxes not been taken advantage of.
Personally i have no issue if the stuff was legalized,i dont smoke myself but i couldnt care less if any one else does,i think if they are taxing billions out of pot smokers maybe the gvmnt will back off a bit on the taxes i'm asked to pay..

Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
excellant post jambo101

Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Great Debates?
A great debate currently being waged in our country is States Rights vs. Federal Rights and the issue bringing this to the spotlight is Medical Marijuana.

Ron Paul a proponent of State Rights recently co-sponsored a bill with Barney Frank to decriminalize marijuana at the Federal level.

President Obama immediately shot back reversing the previous position of his administration to not make prosecuting medical marijuana a priority.

This is truly one of the Great Debates dating back to Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.

Please people - weigh in with your thoughts.
A major problem is that neither party is truly for states rights, especially on this issue. If President Obama, a liberal Democrat won't go for decriminalizing marijuana on a federal level, there is no chance. Republicans would never cave in to the wishes of the religious faction of their party.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Excellent comments!

Jambo101, you hit on one of the major arguments to legalize marijuana. Some states already support legal use of marijuana for medicinal purposes and this has created a sharply rising industry creating jobs and revenues. (Colorado and California being two major players)

The question though is really about States Rights vs Federal Rights. Do you agree the States have the right to continue supporting this industry without intervention from the Federal Government or does the Federal Government have an obligation to shut these industries down regardless of whether or not they are supported by the States?

Would you have the same opinion if the issue was something you disagreed with?

Freedom123; also an excellent observation and a rather interesting situation where the proposal is bi-partisan but rejected by a liberal administration. Again though, the issue is States Rights vs Federal Rights. Do the States have the right to continue these programs or are they acting illegally against the Federal Government?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Excellent comments!

Jambo101, you hit on one of the major arguments to legalize marijuana. Some states already support legal use of marijuana for medicinal purposes and this has created a sharply rising industry creating jobs and revenues. (Colorado and California being two major players)

The question though is really about States Rights vs Federal Rights. Do you agree the States have the right to continue supporting this industry without intervention from the Federal Government or does the Federal Government have an obligation to shut these industries down regardless of whether or not they are supported by the States?

Would you have the same opinion if the issue was something you disagreed with?
Quote:
New estimates price marijuana (cannabis) at a $113 billion dollar industry in America annually noting that marijuana prohibition costs $41 billion annually between the money spent on enforcement and lost potential tax revenue. These estimates come from the study, “Lost taxes and other costs of marijuana laws,” by Jon Gettman
Hard to say what would happen on a federal level if a state got into full legalization of pot and started growing it and profiting from it,personally i think it would create a domino effect with all the other states as states realized that they could bail themselves out of much debt from the proceeds of pot.
My opinion on things i disagree with would be dependent on what that disagreement was concerning, obviously people smoking a weed strikes me as about immoral as eating a lettuce.

An article on its legalization
http://experts.foreignpolicy.com/pos...juana_industry

Last edited by jambo101; 07-06-2011 at 01:14 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My opinion on things i disagree with would be dependent on what that disagreement was concerning,
So you are a proponent of the decriminalization of marijuana, but not a proponent of States Rights - am I correct?

If the state supports something you agree with, you're OK with that, but if the state supports something you disagree with, then your OK with Federal intervention.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
So you are a proponent of the decriminalization of marijuana, but not a proponent of States Rights - am I correct?

If the state supports something you agree with, you're OK with that, but if the state supports something you disagree with, then your OK with Federal intervention.
Yes to legalization of Pot..
As for the state supporting something i agree with? sure.
If the state supports something i disagree with ? well that would depend on what that something was.
Should the Federal government intervene on certain issues?Tough question but ultimately if you want a united country with shared concepts that define the American culture then the Federal gvmnt has to have some power over the state government or you'll end up with 50 quasi colonies rather than the United States of America.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Excellent comments!

Freedom123; also an excellent observation and a rather interesting situation where the proposal is bi-partisan but rejected by a liberal administration. Again though, the issue is States Rights vs Federal Rights. Do the States have the right to continue these programs or are they acting illegally against the Federal Government?
I believe the states do have that right, especially if the marijuana is grown and sold only within that states borders. Past that point, the feds can probably use the commerce clause to keep states from allowing sales across their borders.

I'm sure there's some statute or fed policy that counters what I just wrote, but I see nothing in the Constitution or its' Amendments that prohibit a state from allowing this within its' own borders.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yes to legalization of Pot..
As for the state supporting something i agree with? sure.
If the state supports something i disagree with ? well that would depend on what that something was.
Should the Federal government intervene on certain issues?Tough question but ultimately if you want a united country with shared concepts that define the American culture then the Federal gvmnt has to have some power over the state government or you'll end up with 50 quasi colonies rather than the United States of America.
We need 50 quasi colonies so people can live inside a state that agrees with them. The feds should only cover a small group of things, like protecting rights, military and foreign affairs. We are NEVER going to have a united country with shared concepts outside of SOME the major rights.

Read the Politics Forum on this site for a few days and tell me if we're ever going to agree on shared concepts outside of freedom of speech, etc. Hell, we can't even seem to agree on freedom of religion and gun rights, which are in the Constitution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates