Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,966 times

Advertisements

If this debate is to be defined, it would be whether or not you think panhandling could succeed with the top of the dress code and telling the truth, rather than rags, carboard signs and possible lies.

We are doing quite well. Have 2 homes, and a great winter to summer business season this 2009. But an idea to experiment came to mind. I was looking at the beggers by the roadsides around here. Some lie - some tell the truth on their signs. Some use animals for sympathy, even standing near Petsmart stores.

Was thinking about standing by the freeway onramp signal in my best dark suit with tie and polished shoes. The sign would say something like: "Business is fine, already work for a living, just want to see how much money beggers can really gather here" - or whatever. Sign could simple say "Contributions welcome".

Would people buy into the experiment?

How much do you think could be gained in a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
I dunno.

Fer sure, your not getting a dime from me. But you go out there and give it a shot and let me know how it all worked out for you.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
I'm sure you are aware of the social dynamic behind streetcorner begging, to show some foolish interest in this particular form of manifest poverty means that you have not seen the bigger picture, the reality of social change in our country is showing, we see these souls and become angry, we find it easier to condemn these folk's than to reach out to help in ways that we are able.

One poster has already stated the need for us all to contribute to those orginizations that help those people in need, this is not about begging, it's about understanding the needs of others. Do you really think that begging will take over as a viable means of support? Are you concerned about the fact that we have so many people who choose this activity over doing anything else? I figure the begging situation is nothing more than a statement, it's a sign of the times.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
It has been demonstrated, however, that a guy who looks like he has just locked himself out of his Mercedes has no trouble bumming $50 cab fare from a person that has not locked himself out of his Mercedes parked in front of the club.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM

769 posts, read 888,012 times
I think the business of panhandling has taken a great hit since the dawn of the credit age. I never have cash on me, nor do I know many that do.

However, to the OP question, I do not believe you will get much money with that sign. I do believe in you were dressed nice, presented yourself as late and in a hurry, you could bum quite a bit of money throughout a day scaming people.

Hate to admit it, but when I see a panhandling, I don't make eye contact, act like I'm deaf, and keep walking. If I were approached on the street by a guy who spoke with good grammer in nice clothes, I would have no reservation giving up a couple bucks to help him "insert scam here".

Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
I'm guessing you would probably be arrested. Law enforcement may leave the more needy looking panhandlers be, at least for awhile, but they would surmise that you would be in a position to pay all the fines, fees, attorney's costs, etc...in an association with an arrest. Thereby generating a fair amount of revenue.

If you decide to carry out this experiment, please post back with results.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
However, to the OP question, I do not believe you will get much money with that sign. I do believe in you were dressed nice, presented yourself as late and in a hurry, you could bum quite a bit of money throughout a day scaming people.
Unless you wrote "Wall Street Meltdown Victim -- Will Work for $3m/annum" on your sign. Then you could pretty much expect to be set upon by a howling mob.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Well, it's all speculation. You'd have to perform the experiment to find out for sure. The typical panhandler probably cleans up pretty well because for everyone who is put off by these people's appearance there is someone else who feels pity and wants to help. It you're dressed well, I'm guessing you'll make some money if you try it the way you suggest in your original post. Some people would appreciate the honesty, and enjoy the laugh you had given them, and would fork over a little for this reason. However, my guess is that Jtur has it right, and WalterK with the part of his post about scamming people. If you told a story about being in a tight spot--lost/forgot my wallet, need money for the train, etc.--that's where you'd probably make your most money as a panhanlder in a suit. Then you'd have the sympathy factor the typical panhandler takes advantage of working for you, without causing so many to steer clear because they find the person's appearance offensive or scary, the way some do with the usual panhandler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates