Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM

409 posts, read 2,638,079 times

Advertisements

I've heard people argue about some illegal drugs being less dangerous to society than alcohol. I've never tried drugs before or even smoked a tobacco cigarette in my life so I could not tell you. I just think this subject matter is very interesting and polemical.

Lately a lot of people have been arguing about the marijuana legalization and one of the strongest arguments I’ve heard is that marijuana users say that it is safer to drive while being high than it is when being drunk. I am against anyone driving either way but hey that sounds kind of right.

With this in mind, what do you think about alcohol being more dangerous than other illegal drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,465,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I've heard people argue about some illegal drugs being less dangerous to society than alcohol. I've never tried drugs before or even smoked a tobacco cigarette in my life so I could not tell you. I just think this subject matter is very interesting and polemical.

Lately a lot of people have been arguing about the marijuana legalization and one of the strongest arguments I’ve heard is that marijuana users say that it is safer to drive while being high than it is when being drunk. I am against anyone driving either way but hey that sounds kind of right.

With this in mind, what do you think about alcohol being more dangerous than other illegal drugs?
Medically, its worse than Marijuana. Marijuana usage has very little physical impact, unless smoked.

People smoke Marijuana because you get the biggest bang for the buck that way. You can ingest it (by making butter, not just eating the buds) and thats a considerably less risky than smoking it. If it were legal, it would be cheaper, and easier to obtain, so perhaps people would simply eat it, rather than smoke it. I'm sure some people will still smoke it, but thats up to them

Alcohol has a higher rate of addiction, higher rates of mortality, higher rates of disease associated with it than Marijuana does.

Now, I do not agree with driving while you are high, on any drug. Drinking, smoking, snorting, I don't care, it should be done in the privacy of your own home. Or, you can call a taxi from a bar.

I'm not sure what the statistics are about health problems with other drugs, but I can tell you this,

How many kids have you heard of dying because of alcohol poisoning, and how many have you heard of dying because of Marijuana poisoning. I rest my case.

Last edited by Memphis1979; 08-17-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 05:23 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,922,788 times
Quote:

Every neurology book I've read, every lecture on the subject I've gone to, every test I've taken on the subject (a lot since I majored in Biopsychology) points to alcohol as being more deleterious towards health.

See, the compound that alcohol breaks down to, acetaldehyde, is a cousin of formaldehyde. We don't realize that the intermediate step in processing ethanol is acetaldehyde...the stuff that causes hangovers. THC does not break down into nearly a toxic substance. 11-hydroxy-THC causes increased appetite.

Alcohol also causes thiamine deficiency which causes memory impairment in the form of Korsakoff syndrome.

As far as memory impairment goes for marijuana, typically high users will suffer declines in memory. Studies, however, are contradcitory and somewhat inconclusive. (this is concerning long term memory, short term memory impairment will occur...to what extent is still being contested).

There are higher risks of getting into a car accident under the influence of alcohol than marijuana...still not advised to drive will high.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,727,337 times
I know from vivid experience what drinking does to my husband He cannot stop and within thirty minutes he is calling me a fu*** cu** and going to bash my head in. Real nice guy. If drinking didn't kill him he was going to kill me. If he ever starts again it won't be good.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 PM

8,237 posts, read 23,200,411 times
Duh!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:34 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,889,792 times
Alcohol is a drug (one of mankind's first) and is just as dangerous as many other illegal and legal drugs.

It's not illegal because it would be impossible to keep it under control, not because no one has ever tried. Legality is the lessor of two evils, and thank god for that. I don't know what I would do without my buddes Jose, Jim and Jack.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 AM

409 posts, read 2,638,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Alcohol is a drug (one of mankind's first) and is just as dangerous as many other illegal and legal drugs.

It's not illegal because it would be impossible to keep it under control, not because no one has ever tried. Legality is the lessor of two evils, and thank god for that. I don't know what I would do without my buddes Jose, Jim and Jack.
Is it possible to keep the other drugs under control? If you wanted to get any drug at any time could you get it?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 AM

88,976 posts, read 85,503,448 times
Quote:

I think alcohol is the worst drug out there. This is not a black-and-white statement, like I'm saying that heroin and cocaine are good ideas, but ordained drunks probably cause more harm to others than all of the other, illegal, drugs combined.

Marijuana is likely the least harmful to anyone, but that doesn't mean people should get stoned and get on the road, either. The stoners, however, are not driving wildly and crashing into things...they are the ones who are on the Interstate doing 40 in the right lane thinking about what their next snack should be. Still not a good idea to be operating a vehicle, of course. But people don't abuse their families and act like complete *****holes when they are stoned the way they do when they drink, either.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,889,792 times
Quote:
Is it possible to keep the other drugs under control? If you wanted to get any drug at any time could you get it?
The "war on drugs" suggests the answer to your question is "no".

I have not and will not take any currently illegal drugs, whether they were legal or not. But if there was a legal method to get them the drug cartels would disappear and drug related violence would be grealty reduced. Also, the drugs themselves could possibly be made safer for consumption. It just might solve more problems than it causes.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 AM

88,976 posts, read 85,503,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I know from vivid experience what drinking does to my husband He cannot stop and within thirty minutes he is calling me a fu*** cu** and going to bash my head in. Real nice guy. If drinking didn't kill him he was going to kill me. If he ever starts again it won't be good.
I hear ya. I divorced mine. I know it's not PC and it's not a popular statement, but I strongly disagree that alcoholism is a disease. Once they are addicted, it's definitely a physical thing, if you've ever watched someone detox from drinking--not pretty. But no other disease takes effect only when the "diseased" one makes a choice.

The base problem is a personality problem; namely, raging narcissism in which the world centers around oneself, everything is self-relevant, and dealing with reality like everyone else has to is rejected as an option. They drink to hide and because they are unable to care about anyone or anything more than themselves, it doesn't matter enough to them to quit. Only when THEY are threatened with losing something they want will they quit.

LOL, I've been observing this behavior for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates