Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My dorm mate in college would only be sexually assaulted by her father and her uncle when they got together to smoke pot. Did the pot cause it? Doubt it. But don't act like everyone is jolly, happy, safety guy when they're high.

Oh, and ask me how many idiot drivers I have seen in trauma bc they were high and driving. Or maybe that stat would mess with the fantasy reality you've created.

If you want pot to be legal, you'd better come up with some better arguments than "It's the same or better than some other substance that causes great harm to society that is already legal."
You are quoting me yet I didn't ask for pot to be legal or create any fantasy mess or act like everyone is jolly when they are high, so now we are bringing dishonesty into the thread? You can state your case without building a false base, ya know.

Losers can smoke pot and if you actually HAD read what I wrote, I said that people shouldn't drive when they are high, either.

But drunks are far worse and cause more harm to themselves and others, and I stand by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 10:24 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I've heard people argue about some illegal drugs being less dangerous to society than alcohol. I've never tried drugs before or even smoked a tobacco cigarette in my life so I could not tell you. I just think this subject matter is very interesting and polemical.

Lately a lot of people have been arguing about the marijuana legalization and one of the strongest arguments I’ve heard is that marijuana users say that it is safer to drive while being high than it is when being drunk. I am against anyone driving either way but hey that sounds kind of right.

With this in mind, what do you think about alcohol being more dangerous than other illegal drugs?
both alcohol & marijuana abuse can lead to dependency and/or mental issues. if it weren't for the mental issues, i'd have a better acceptance of marijuana legalization.

if m. were legalized & mandated to have public service announcements & liability statements attached to it's sale, I'd be pro-legalization.

the black market would take it the hardest.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 PM

11,268 posts, read 11,032,046 times
It is a proven fact that there are several times more alcohol related deaths yearly in the U.S. than deaths from all illegal substances combined. I am not in favor of the legalization of narcotics, but marijuana is a different story. As with most things, it boils down to politics and money. Alcohol and tobacco lobbyists are powerful entities in Washington, and they have limitless spending cash to get their way. The majority of politicians who push anti-marijuana legislation have either an alcohol, tobacco or pharmaceutical giant as their primary campaign contributers. In this country, it has never been about health and safety. It's about money, power and re-election. Money talks and BS walks. If it was a health issue, alcohol and tobacco would be outlawed. Check the death rate statistics and it's a no-brainer. Just for the record, I enjoy beer and have a cigarrette on occasion in social settings. In my opinion, marijuana is not a safe alternative to alcohol, but if it was legal and the other not, there would be far fewer DUI's and alcohol related health complications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates