Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:34 PM

123 posts, read 355,195 times

Advertisements

alot of people use this phrase and I am not sure it is true. I don't really know of that many incidents where this has happened. What do you guys think it means and do you think it really happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,264 times
I think its about karma, and people who do NOT "do unto others". No, I don't think it always works. :-(

Old 09-13-2009, 02:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I prefer the statement, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

The worlds history is full of civilizations that grew, became to large, and then destroyed themselves by greed and excess. The United States is going through that now, although our rise was quicker than most.

If you look at people around the world, we aren't very different than ancient man. How much has our society changed since the year 1000? Not very much, we still have the same basic needs. We still have the same bigotry and hatred out there. It only changes from one group to another.

Don't get me wrong, we've changed some, but on a basic level, we are still very close to our ancestors. And in the course of the history of the Earth, we humans are just a small blip on the radar. Dinosaurs were here for 10's of millions of years. At best, we can trace humans to around 60,000 years ago. We feel that we are masters of the Universe, but we still couldn't protect ourselves against a space threat. All it would take is one asteroid of a size similar to that of what made the dinosaurs go bye bye, and most if not all of us would be whipped out.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
alot of people use this phrase and I am not sure it is true. I don't really know of that many incidents where this has happened. What do you guys think it means and do you think it really happens?
Let's use a political scenario...

I don't know for sure when hatred of the opposing party's President became the norm, but here's what I've noticed -

The Republicans hated Carter & criticized him constantly.
So the Democrats hated Reagan & criticized him constantly.
So the Republicans hated Clinton & criticized him constantly.
So the Democrats hated Bush #2 & criticized him constantly.
So the Republicans are hating Obama & criticizing him constantly.

What goes around comes around. The main problem being that each time it "comes around" there's a little more vitriol and nastiness added.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I do believe this. I don't know about anything mystical or magical about it, but it seems like if you keep putting good out there, it's gonna come back to you. Not necessarily because the universe is 'on your side,' or anything. More like because you create a certain kind of environment and reputation - people will respond in kind.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:03 PM

282 posts, read 526,319 times
Yes, I believe in Karma...if you do bad...one day, maybe not, tomorrow, next year or in 5 years, BUT one day it will catch up to you. I think that is why some old people are unhappy people, when you look back on your life and all you see is bad, how can you really be happy?

Old 09-13-2009, 03:17 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
Yes, I believe in Karma...if you do bad...one day, maybe not, tomorrow, next year or in 5 years, BUT one day it will catch up to you. I think that is why some old people are unhappy people, when you look back on your life and all you see is bad, how can you really be happy?
Ditto here. I think if people were honest with themselves when things go wrong in their lives, if they would look back at past bad deeds they'd see why certain things were happening to them later in life. We do, in fact, reap what we sow or, to put it another way, what goes around, comes around.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:22 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I agree with the other posters. What goes around comes around means you get what you deserve. If you're bad to others that bad will come back to you.
OJ Simpson is the perfect example of this. He killed people, got away with it, but in the end he ended up in prison - where he should've been long ago. I believe a lot of decent people were glad to see justice finally served.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
What goes around, comes around:

Reagan can't recall.

Reagan can't recall. Anything.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:47 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
Yes, this does happen. This example is a true story. A young man was drinking and driving. He went off the road and struck and killed a young boy (14 years old). This was back in the early 70s. The drunk boy's family was wealthy and had connections the 14 year olds wasn't. The drunk boy got off and the poor boys family did not even get compensated. Years later (90s), the drunk boy is a man and grown and has a family. His 5 year old daughter is playing out in the cul-de-sac and a drunk pulls out of the driveway and runs her over killing her. There is Karma for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates