Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 PM

454 posts, read 796,118 times

Advertisements

Disagree. Life is random and often unfair. Platitudes like these are simple the mind's attempt to distinguish patterns.

Plenty of unhappy old people led good lives and did good things. Plenty of happy people have poured an inordinate amount of misery into the fountain of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 06:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
Disagree. Life is random and often unfair. Platitudes like these are simple the mind's attempt to distinguish patterns.

Plenty of unhappy old people led good lives and did good things. Plenty of happy people have poured an inordinate amount of misery into the fountain of life.

I wouldn't say that. The Universe is about cycles. Birth, life, death, rebirth, and repeat. How can we think that our lives are any different being as we are part of this Universe. For every action is an equal and opposite reaction. If you have a bad day, you will have a good day to make up for it. If you have a bad life, someone else will have a good life to make up for yours.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:24 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
alot of people use this phrase and I am not sure it is true. I don't really know of that many incidents where this has happened. What do you guys think it means and do you think it really happens?
I think it's similar to the saying "You're going to reap just what you sow" (I like that one better)

So, is this a philosophical debate on whether karma really exists or not? I guess it's in the eye of the beholder...but I believe that yes sometimes it does. But I have also known some truly evil people that are yet to 'get theirs', so who knows. Only time will tell and it's all a matter of perspective anyway.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
As all of you stated.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post

Or said 'happy people' were punished yet they did not even realize it-----------egos can be that strong.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
Yes, this does happen. This example is a true story. A young man was drinking and driving. He went off the road and struck and killed a young boy (14 years old). This was back in the early 70s. The drunk boy's family was wealthy and had connections the 14 year olds wasn't. The drunk boy got off and the poor boys family did not even get compensated. Years later (90s), the drunk boy is a man and grown and has a family. His 5 year old daughter is playing out in the cul-de-sac and a drunk pulls out of the driveway and runs her over killing her. There is Karma for you.
Similar case of Karma here:

Some years ago I was laid off from a job; tried to collect unemployment but was denied due to my former employer flat lying as to why I was let go.

A few months later my former boss's son was riding a dirt bike on the street (highly illegal); crashed and the kid suffered severe injuries........evidently, the man's insurance did not cover the damages. Note that the kid's name was the same as his dad's.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
What goes around always comes around, Karma balances out lifes injustices. What you give you get back , be it good or bad.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
My 13 year old came to me the other day. A teacher had said that we need to remember history to keep from repeating it & asked him to write a paper on it. He was a little surprised to find that even though we have always recorded & studied history we have also always repeated the same mistakes over & over. What comes around certainly goes around. In almost every way, from the little wrongs done to us that inevitably come back to bite the wrong doer to huge societal things like the rise & fall of every great civilization & democracy.

Its just that for the most part we are too conceited & egotistical to realize the truth of it.
Some day some culture will study the rise & fall of the USA & be amazed at our blindness to the reality of our slide into decay, like as not they will be repeating the cycle themselves & be studied by future historians.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I can tell you that if you've ever done even one small thing wrong, you will 'get yours'...someday, somehow,you will die!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
I do not believe in karma. If karma really worked all politicians would die from horrible festering wounds. and Id be rich right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates