Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 04:04 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The ones who are skeptical about global warming? Or the ones who are skeptical about big business's assurance that there is no global warming? I'm more skeptical about the explanations coming from PR professionals who have contracts with big corporations.

Natthebattherat, it is quite possible that Cambodia is now the freest country in the world. The freest country I've ever spent much time in was Paraguay.
Both. But I personally have more fear regarding the side that has and controls the guns and prisons.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:18 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
I just saw a TV commercial in which the CEO of Sprint said this is the freest couintry in the world. Most Americans probably believe that. But, is it really?
Here's a few things that you can do in Venezuela that you can't do in the US:
- Build anything you want inside your property, your house can be 10 stories tall if you want to.
- Speed limit is optional, usually people go by common sense = it's fine to drive 100MPH on straight roads with few cars.
- You can burn the flag anytime you want to.
- You can protest with posters showing the head of the president on a platter.

That's just a few that I remember.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
I just saw a TV commercial in which the CEO of Sprint said this is the freest couintry in the world. Most Americans probably believe that. But, is it really?
Theres TOO many freedoms in the USA .... some which work against the overall good for american society. Especially moral freedoms .

Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 PM

79 posts, read 76,606 times
Simple answer and one you won't like: NO

Corporations have too much power here. You all fear politicians so much that you have allowed corporations to have more power than the politicians that you elect and at least have some power over.

In truth, find me a nation on earth whose people are truly "free". I bet you'll be hard pressed to do so and the United States is certainly NOT at the forefront of the freest nations on earth.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
If you need to buy permission (prescription) from a government licensed person, before you can buy medicine from another government licensed person, who buys his supply from a government regulated source, at inflated prices, I do not think you are a free man.

If you need permission (license) before you can wed, travel, transmit, fly, enter occupations, operate a business, build a house, treat the sick, or have a dog, I do not think you are a free man.

If you are prohibited from protecting yourself and your property with any weapon you chose, and may be prosecuted for attempted suicide, I do not think you are a free man.

If you must pay a tax to live, work, buy, sell, and die, I do not think you are free man.

If the government can take your property, without paying just compensation, I do not think you are a free man.

But what do I know...

Winston Smith

Old 03-10-2010, 03:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Theres TOO many freedoms in the USA .... some which work against the overall good for american society. Especially moral freedoms .
Do you mean, like, the freedom to have illicit orgasms? Give us some examples of the kinds of moral freedoms you're talking about.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
There is only ONE thing that is FREE in the US...it's the air we breathe.

Anything else a person has to pay.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
There is only ONE thing that is FREE in the US...it's the air we breathe.

Anything else a person has to pay.
Not true at all. When water became unsuitable for drinking, the private sector sold us drinking water. When air become unsuitable to breathe . . . . .

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM

332 posts, read 644,186 times
Quote:
I just saw a TV commercial in which the CEO of Sprint said this is the freest couintry in the world. Most Americans probably believe that. But, is it really ?
How many liberals in the U.S went to prison for calling George W. Bush a racist, a nazi, a warmonger, a retard, etc ? The answer is a big fat ZERO. Last time I checked liberals like Kanye West and Oliver Stone did not get arrested for their anti-Bush comments.

In Venezuela if somebody openly bashes Hugo Chvez or if in Iran somebody openly bashes Mahmoud Ahmadinejad they would be put in prison in a heartbeat.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM

332 posts, read 644,186 times
Quote:
Another person's right to bear arms is someone else having their drug dealer kid shot by a rival gang.
Washington DC for example has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country, yet why is it that they still have one of the highest murder rates in the country.

Gun control laws do nothing to stop drug dealers from illegally buying guns through the black market. All it does is take away guns from tax paying law abiding citizens. And tax paying law abiding citizens who own guns are not the ones responsible for the extremely high murder rate in cities like DC, New Orleans, Compton, Oakland, Detroit, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates