Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's worse than just that. Now people want to live with people who are the same age they are, who share the same political ideology, who share the same language, etc., and then in some places they make their own laws and put up a gate to make sure "just people like us" can live together. It's like we're all Indians on our own reservations.
Would you prefer to live in a country where you DON'T have the right to move into a neighborhood in which you feel comfortable with like-minded neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
But aren't those the ones that diluted and destroyed (native) American culture.
Perhaps I misunderstood the question.

SHHHHHH!!!! You shush with that devilspeak, now!! Dont you know that the Native Americans had no right to preserve their cultures; just as we "Americans" are claiming we must preserve ours....their cultures were "savage" and different from the immigrants of their day so their culture was wrong, and warranted destruc--- changing.. and so those immigrants destroye.. --l-- *ahem* changed the Native American culture for the better goshdarnit! And dont you say otherwise, you Un-American, Non American!

-- Wait, whats that...? There's a possibility that present day immigrants might change "American" culture? WHOOOAAA now, lets not get carried away here Charlie...American culture is FAAR to valuable to be destroyed, assimilated and diluted.

....Whats funny to me is that we are acting as though this nation was somehow this awesome, peaceful superpower as long as it wasnt as multicultural as it is today...lmao...gtfoh

it was a peaceful superpower for the dominant culture that controlled both peace and power at the time..lol...America's double standards never cease to amaze me.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-06-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
such garbage!!!

give examples and references please.

i doubt youll be able to
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Of course, there's a lot more bad than whatever good may come from multiculturalism. I know a friend from Michigan who visited me in California, and she asked me where all the White people are at (in the neighborhood, city, etc). That is pretty sad she even felt the need to ask, and I have no explanation for it (it used to be White).

All I know is America was better as a mostly White country. Today is pretty much the opposite of that.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
America is a melting pot of nationalities , and with that comes a variety of cultures. So thats a given. Im glad the Chinese came cause I love their food on a saturday night ; Im glad the Italians came cause having a deep dish pizza is enjoyable with friends while watching the football game ; Im glad the Japanese came cause they provide us with a decent car at affordable prices ; Im glad the Mexicans came cause they show us good work ethic and excel at soccer . The combination of nationalities in America serve to enrich American life .

Im not concerned about this , but I am concerned how America has gone the way of gross moral degradation since Post Modernism burst onto the scene with a good portion of the populus being apathetic toward right from wrong and willfully suppressing ones moral conscience so they can live as they like. Thats one of the chief ways America is changing for the worst -- not because of different cultures being present across the Land.

Very well put.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
I blame the decline on MTV & R-rated programming. Seriously. When that came on to the scene, people in large numbers seemed to have decided to abandon their moral obligation to keep appropriate programming on the TV when their kids are awake.

There are at least 2 generations of people who are so selfish that they can't control their viewing to keep it PG for little kids. Therefore, little kids want to emulate the wh*rish & depraved behaviour they see on "reality programs" & R rated movies/shows.

I'm not a prude. However, when you go to a store to buy clothing for children & teens - or any "young" style clothing (which I prefer for myself because it means clothing with "shapeliness"), it shouldn't be like shopping for a stripper. The selection is rather nasty. For a long time it was hard for me to find jeans that weren't low rise nor shirts that weren't above my navel, because of the poor selection where I can afford to shop.

Now I realize I can buy finer clothing. I just get it at the thrift shop so I pay about a dime on the dollar for department store finery.

The reason for my huffiness about R-rated programming is that when my children were little, they would be babysat on occasion at their aunt's house. She would have R-rated programming on because it was her selfish desire to watch whatever she wanted, even though I didn't want my little kids watching that cr*p. We parted ways permanently over that kind of riff. Her kids grew up watching movies & programs that showcased activities that should not be entertainment for children.

I base the decline of our country's values/culture on the lack of parental values. However, that isn't about multiculturism. Sorry. Multiculturism is not to blame for our nation's decline in culture.

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-07-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
A lot of Americans have just turned into cultural sloths. They wear their ignorance proudly. I try to avoid the tacky, and seek out higher minds, and places.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I blame the decline on MTV & R-rated programming. Seriously. When that came on to the scene, people in large numbers seemed to have decided to abandon their moral obligation to keep appropriate programming on the TV when their kids are awake.

There are at least 2 generations of people who are so selfish that they can't control their viewing to keep it PG for little kids. Therefore, little kids want to emulate the wh*rish & depraved behaviour they see on "reality programs" & R rated movies/shows.

I'm not a prude. However, when you go to a store to buy clothing for children & teens, it shouldn't be like shopping for a stripper. The selection is rather nasty. For a long time it was hard for me to find jeans that weren't low rise nor shirts that weren't above my navel, because of the poor selection where I can afford to shop.

Now I realize I can buy finer clothing. I just get it at the thrift shop so I pay about a dime on the dollar for department store finery.

The reason for my huffiness about R-rated programming is that when my children were little, they would be babysat on occasion at their aunt's house. She would have R-rated programming on because it was her selfish desire to watch whatever she wanted, even though I didn't want my little kids watching that cr*p. We parted ways permanently over that kind of riff. Her kids grew up watching movies & programs that showcased activities that should not be entertainment for children.

I base the decline of our country's values on the lack of parental values.
However, that isn't about multiculturism. Sorry. Multiculturism is not to blame for our nation's decline in culture.

Kate
Ironically enough, that was the exact same message I heard preached in a ministry this past Sunday...and guess what? The congregation is a multicultural one!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
"America" and "Culture" haven't really been all that synotomis(sp) at any real time in our history. In a way, we have a nation that has a psychological hang-up over anything "Cultrued/Artsy/High-Class" being "UnAmerican"

The degregation of American life IMHO has nothing to do with "New Colors/Faces" and everything to do with a Nilihist and Selfish attitude that has been fostered in since the 1960s.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Would you prefer to live in a country where you DON'T have the right to move into a neighborhood in which you feel comfortable with like-minded neighbors?
I moved based partially on political ideology.

I just had no idea, until I was doing retirement relocation research and read Bishop's book later on, that this self-sorting based on a number of factors, was happening all over America. Bishop talks about the way it used to be before people started to self sort. I just find it to be interesting.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I moved based partially on political ideology.
That seems like a very odd reason. A couple of years ago, I moved from a place where the political ideology is basically the same as my own, to a new place that happens to be at the far opposite end of the spectrum. And it has had absolutely no effect on my day-to-day life whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates