U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,603,351 times
Reputation: 35875

Advertisements

If Walmart offered health insurance, would you consider buying it?

Walmart broke the Rx stranglehold, offering flat rate $4 prescriptions. Walmart has for a long time sold hypo needles for about 20c, which had the public health effect (if not the intent) of getting used needles out of circulation.

So, what if WalMart got into the health insurance business and offered policies at much better prices than the Big RICO companies? After all, Allstate insurance was originally formed by Sears Roebuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,582,235 times
Reputation: 24548
That would be interesting. Along with allowing nationwide insurance companies it would really revolutionize the industry. After putting all the current blood suckers out of business the insurance subsidiaries of Wal-mart could pull a Rusty Jones and bankrupt out from under the financial responsibility. That would be the real deal. The profits would be tremendous and the losses irrelevant. Capitalism at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,473,798 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If Walmart offered health insurance, would you consider buying it?

Walmart broke the Rx stranglehold, offering flat rate $4 prescriptions. Walmart has for a long time sold hypo needles for about 20c, which had the public health effect (if not the intent) of getting used needles out of circulation.

So, what if WalMart got into the health insurance business and offered policies at much better prices than the Big RICO companies? After all, Allstate insurance was originally formed by Sears Roebuck.
This is a good example of why competition is a good thing, and why the lack of competition is a bad thing. Unfortunately, WalMart brings BOTH to any area/community where they open a store.


My decision about WalMart Insurance would be based primarily on cost and coverage, though I have to admit that I'm not a WalMart lover, so theirs would be an uphill sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,319,597 times
Reputation: 8606
Intresting idea. I would suspect that they would also open a health clinic as part of their stores, where of course all expenses would be covered by your walmart health insurance plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,366 posts, read 9,996,933 times
Reputation: 9115
Sure would beat the guburnmint forcing me to deal with snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
 
Location: 3814′45″N 12237′53″W
4,152 posts, read 9,584,882 times
Reputation: 3398
Considering they've been sucking at the teat of citizens tax dollars and subsidizing their bottom line by only paying their employees so little that they can continue living at poverty level & they can still receive Medicare...Walmart is such the hands off company when it comes to the welfare of their own employees, I'd be amazed if they even bothered with this hypothetical scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,319,597 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Considering they've been sucking at the teat of citizens tax dollars and subsidizing their bottom line by only paying their employees so little that they can continue living at poverty level & they can still receive Medicare...Walmart is such the hands off company when it comes to the welfare of their own employees, I'd be amazed if they even bothered with this hypothetical scenario.
Don't like your wages, find another job.

Many of the people that work at Wal-mart can't get another job because they are unskilled, or unwilling to put forth the effort to find another job.

I worked at a grocery store for a while, I know its hard work, but most of the people were either part timers, or idiots who could only run something across a bar code scanner.

I remember walking into a Wal-mart one time, when the cashiers actually had to count the money because the computers were down. You talk about chaos, OMG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
 
Location: 3814′45″N 12237′53″W
4,152 posts, read 9,584,882 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Don't like your wages, find another job.

Many of the people that work at Wal-mart can't get another job because they are unskilled, or unwilling to put forth the effort to find another job.

I worked at a grocery store for a while, I know its hard work, but most of the people were either part timers, or idiots who could only run something across a bar code scanner.

I remember walking into a Wal-mart one time, when the cashiers actually had to count the money because the computers were down. You talk about chaos, OMG.
You are missing the point. WalMart subsidizes their profits by leaving their employees healthcare to Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,319,597 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
You are missing the point. WalMart subsidizes their profits by leaving their employees healthcare to Medicaid.
And how is that different than what companies are asking the President to do now?

Ford, GM, Chrysler, and many others have said that their highest costs are healthcare. They want a public option so that they can quit paying their workers healthcare.

Again, if you don't like the wages, or the benefits, find another job. If you can't find another job, then you made the wrong life choices.

Most people don't work at wal-mart. Obviously, there were other choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,366 posts, read 9,996,933 times
Reputation: 9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Don't like your wages, find another job.

Many of the people that work at Wal-mart can't get another job because they are unskilled, or unwilling to put forth the effort to find another job.

I worked at a grocery store for a while, I know its hard work, but most of the people were either part timers, or idiots who could only run something across a bar code scanner.

I remember walking into a Wal-mart one time, when the cashiers actually had to count the money because the computers were down. You talk about chaos, OMG.
I agree that if you don't like your job find another.

The rest... not so much. Let me ask you this: if all of these unskilled ‘losers’ suddenly became engineers, what would happen to you the next time you went to the grocery store? And if the ‘losers’ didn’t pick the tomatoes or pluck the chicken sitting on your dinner table, what would happen to you? Ironically enough, these ‘losers’ are your life support system. And if none of them were around, you would be picking through wild raspberry bushes out in the hills somewhere, scrounging for food.

Wouldn’t it be nice to live in a society where each productive member was acknowledged and appreciated? Maybe I’m nuts, but I value these ‘little people’ more than I do some 3-piecer performing managerial masturbation all day long and getting paid handsomely to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
then you made the wrong life choices.
In the end, the wrong life choices are (to name a few) arrogance, greed, and lack of compassion for fellow human beings. I'd venture a guess that monetary notoriety will not be worth a damn when all is said and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top