Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times

Advertisements

This NIC report claims that the American Empire days are closing. After reading the pdf of the report I'm still not sure.

What do you think?

" In November 2008, the National Intelligence Council (NIC), an affiliate of the Central Intelligence Agency, issued the latest in a series of futuristic publications intended to guide the incoming Obama administration. Peering into its analytic crystal ball in a report entitled Global Trends 2025, it predicted that America's global preeminence would gradually disappear over the next 15 years -- in conjunction with the rise of new global powerhouses, especially China and India. The report examined many facets of the future strategic environment, but its most startling, and news-making, finding concerned the projected long-term erosion of American dominance and the emergence of new global competitors. "Although the United States is likely to remain the single most powerful actor [in 2025]," it stated definitively, the country's "relative strength -- even in the military realm -- will decline and U.S. leverage will become more constrained.""

6 Signs That the American Empire Is Coming to an Early End | World | AlterNet

NIC 2025 Project (http://www.dni.gov/nic/NIC_2025_project.html - broken link)

The report.....
http://www.dni.gov/nic/PDF_2025/2025_Global_Trends_Final_Report.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
That's what happens with empires; they tend not to last forever. And some last longer than others. Rome, the Great Khans, Russia, Britain, the list wanders on for a while. There's absolutely no reason why ours should be any different...or that we should think we'd be the exception.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
It's been the topic of some serious conversations worldwide, for quite a while now. America has seen it's best days gone by, the last of the titan battles were in the second world war. We now find ourselves sneaking around in the desert mountains of Afghanistan, and training the troops of southern hemisphere governments, in order to maintain the fragile hold we have on our former client states.

It may be that the natural turn of events forces the main players off the stage now and then. History has shown us that all great nations tend toward deterioration, and this seems to be the case regarding the current state of cultural affairs in the US. Our present financial boondoggle is also some compelling evidence that the US has lost a great deal of it's resiliency in all things economic, we can't deny the revealing onion like layers of negative debt that is slowwwlly pulling us down.

The old saying that, "it takes time to ruin a civilization, but time is all it takes" holds true in our case also. We are now seeing the first signs of a fervent US regionalism taking hold, one that makes competitors of neighboring counties and states, this is the natural righting of things that the forging of a union denied the states a long time ago. We were kind of like the Russian Soviet in the years following the civil war, unified, but still tied to the regions......... As well as the nation.

So far we've done all those things that empires do, and our populace has shared the burden of empire by sacrificing themselves in war. Maybe the US will be better off as a diverse group of nation states, this has been the natural form of nation creation that we see in the European model of today. The recipe for peace that has eluded mankind from his earliest days may lie in the notion that we shouldn't have such large countries. Until then however, we'll see a good deal of debate as to whether we will be better off for our shrinking of the central control type system we have now.

One thing's for sure, we continue to drift apart, culturally, economically, and with a sundry of theologies. Does this sound like "one nation undivided", not really. Nations evolve in their own particular interest, it may be in our interest to begin the trials of regional autonomy just for drill, it could very well be that the result will be an astonishing composite of highly competitive trading partners standing together to preserve their interests.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Yeah, please, get it over with. The sooner the better. Several states of like-minded individuals is a better option than groups of unlike minded individuals constantly beating each other over the head and subjugating each other. Divvy it up.

Although I’m not completely in agreement with the philosophy, I’ll settle in the Libertarian State. I cherish my freedom above all else. I know I’d be free there. And if the society wasn’t willing to pay for my hangnail... it’s a small price to pay for freedom. I got the better end of the bargain.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
We brought it on ourselves by taking an apathetic view on political affairs. We care more the newest hit TV show or the Yankees vs the Phillies then we do about the future of our country and the impact of political decisions.

We deserve to collapse, we deserve to have the Chinese People's Liberation Army land on the California beaches and rape, kill, and pillage their way across America. Maybe if we are lucky by the time they reach the Mississippi we will have put down our TV remotes and beer cans and started to fight back. Maybe then we will take a vested intrest in the future of our country instead of worrying over some stupid TV show or baseball game.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
We deserve to collapse, we deserve to have the Chinese People's Liberation Army land on the California beaches and rape, kill, and pillage their way across America.
Let me guess, you are an older "type" person.

I doubt the chinese are going to rape, kill and pillage america.

the industrialized world is moving towards economic competition, trade etc. those base things are not the issue.

it doesn't mean america will collapse, it will just change as all nations eventually do. sometimes change is good, nothing stays the same. you sound like an overdramatic pageant queen who is upset they have to relinquish thier crown eventually. being an empire doesn't mean all others are unimportant, only an ******* thinks that way. it's not the end of the world if you are not number one all the time. america may need to divide into nation states and restructure itself.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
According to the unilateral Monroe Doctrine, the US empire extends to Cape Horn. A few decades ago, we felt perfectly righteous in quelling uprisings by the natives in Nicaragua, El Salvador, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guatemala, Panama. Colombia and Chile and threatening nuclear vitrification of Cuba. Things seem to have changed now though. Now matter how many posters in C-D are demanding that we wipe out Venezuela in order to secure our God-given global oil rights, and their upstart bedfellows Ecuador and Bolivia along with them , Washington seems to lack their old resolve.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This NIC report claims that the American Empire days are closing. After reading the pdf of the report I'm still not sure.

What do you think?

" In November 2008, the National Intelligence Council (NIC), an affiliate of the Central Intelligence Agency, issued the latest in a series of futuristic publications intended to guide the incoming Obama administration. Peering into its analytic crystal ball in a report entitled Global Trends 2025, it predicted that America's global preeminence would gradually disappear over the next 15 years -- in conjunction with the rise of new global powerhouses, especially China and India. The report examined many facets of the future strategic environment, but its most startling, and news-making, finding concerned the projected long-term erosion of American dominance and the emergence of new global competitors. "Although the United States is likely to remain the single most powerful actor [in 2025]," it stated definitively, the country's "relative strength -- even in the military realm -- will decline and U.S. leverage will become more constrained.""

6 Signs That the American Empire Is Coming to an Early End | World | AlterNet

NIC 2025 Project (http://www.dni.gov/nic/NIC_2025_project.html - broken link)

The report.....
http://www.dni.gov/nic/PDF_2025/2025_Global_Trends_Final_Report.pdf (broken link)
The way the dollar looks it will be a LOT sooner than 2025.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:10 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post

the industrialized world is moving towards economic competition, trade etc. those base things are not the issue.

it doesn't mean america will collapse, it will just change as all nations eventually do. sometimes change is good, nothing stays the same. you sound like an overdramatic pageant queen who is upset they have to relinquish thier crown eventually. being an empire doesn't mean all others are unimportant, only an ******* thinks that way. it's not the end of the world if you are not number one all the time. america may need to divide into nation states and restructure itself.
Its the end of the world if the sheiks only take Euros and China and Japan dump their T-bills, which seems to me to have been their strategy all along.
The Japs in particular have a VERY long memory.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post

If you think base human instincts are somehow missing today, you are mistaken. You need to watch world events once in a while. People still slaughter each other in droves.

Other than that, I agree, split the country up: The I-want-the-government-to-wipe-my-**s liberal state; the competitive, cut-throat capitalist conservative state; the free, individual-right-oriented, minimum government state; and a couple of others... perhaps the green state where they live in caves, eat dandelions, and kill their dogs because they breath too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates