Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
Here is my humble proposal for the fastest way to end welfare while still improving the lives of all children in the US.
Welfare shouldn't end just because some people abuse the system. How about trying to fix its problems first before punishing people (adults and children) who may actually need it?

Quote:
Since it's okay by society rules for me to sleep around, maybe the men should get forced to get vascetomy if they get over $7K behind in child support or have more than one they refuse to pay for. Innocent children should not be forced into poverty because their dads leave them. PERIOD.
NO ONE should be forced to do anything if they haven't committed a crime. Not paying child support is bad, but it is not like they murdered the children.

Quote:
The rules should apply to ALL men regardless of race, education, socio-economics, work history, whatever. They get only one "chance" to screw up one kid by being lazy or whatever motivates men to cheat their OWN kids. But the main point is that there are standards of responsibility and the first option will make all the abortion debates moot. Women with kids have a hard time working and even more so with special needs kids. Women make less money anyway so it's time to make the men pay. Women who can't get pregnant won't have abortions, so that moral issue goes away too.
Uh, MEN AREN'T THE ONLY ONES ABUSING AND ABANDONING CHILDREN!! The one "chance" should be jail time, not forced sterilization. What is this, Nazi Germany?

Quote:
If ANY men who sow their wild oats can't keep making kids, then it benefits EVERY taxpayer in the long run.
Not really, someone would just find new ways of taxing people.

Quote:
lol...Don't worry I am not going to check on the answers but I think this the ONE solution everyone avoids....Yes, I even think the rule should apply to women. In modern age, no one woman needs more than 2 kids or 2 pregnancies. FYI, I only had 2 and my tubes are tied. I was married but marriage is not permanent either.
Yeah, 'cause you know you are wrong?

No, you can force women to have only a certain number of children. I don't care what you did, what you did in your life does not equal what other women should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 12:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
We need to correct to moral compass of each individual first to where it is not OK by society rules for someone to sleep around. .
We need to take immediate, concrete steps to alleviate immediate problems, or we will never get to the state of enlightenment we all would prefer.

What you propose is similar to shutting down the courts and closing the prisons and saying instead we need to correct the moral compass that generates crime. Courts and prisons serve a useful temporary purpose, while we continue to await an enlightement that has eluded us for some 5,000 years.

By the way, sleeping around is far from being the most compelling parf of our moral compass that needs remedy, and sleeping around would have relatively little impact if we would stop obstructing practical methods of minimizing the consequences.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM

109 posts, read 364,455 times
Yes, my rant here is about those that need the LEAST amount of help to recover are given the LEAST amount of help. Like for example, those who want to go to school or get back into the workforce. IE be productive with paying taxes. But those who are most unable to take care of themselves get everything FREE. And since they don't improve their lives, their kids repeat the same situation. More adults who can't take care of themselves having kids. Endless cycle.

Yes, I am one of those women with a deadbeat dad using the excuse about paying for a current child he "planned" while he was $7K behind in child support. And I know there are men out there with greater debts who are still having kids with women. What? He has to pay $50 a month for each of the kids and taxpayers have to pay even more. Nope, doesn't seem right to me. Is that what happened to my tax dollars when I paid into the system?

Sorry, but I am all for enacting something like China's rule of one child per couple until NO ONE goes around complaining about welfare, this and welfare that and single mothers are bad, etc....Yup, women and men should be spayed just like dogs and cats if they can't be responsible!!!!!!!

My life was planned to be DINK, so I wasn't going around wanting a baby. But of course that isn't my ex's story. For him, I was desperate for his baby...lol....who are we kidding. I made three times what he did before he killed off my business. He had to say he was too broke (or too Catholic) to get a kid that he didn't deserve. He just had no idea of who I was. So guys who sleep around without ACTUALLY getting to KNOW their partner should be first in life.

Bring on "Brave New World". Birth control for everyone. If people had to take an exam (or meet requirements) to have a kids, then there would ZERO cases of child abuse and neglect in this country. Parenting isn't just about paying money. Kids get messed up emotionally even when they have "possessions". It's about the quality of parenting. Weekend dads don't create HEALTHY kids.

Think about it. That's all I asked. Think about alternatives.

:-)

Last edited by leavingGA; 11-30-2009 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 07:43 AM

Marissy,

Wake up already!

Women who have kids with the wrong guy ARE abused and the kids are too. Emotionally if not physically. The days are gone where both parents stick out the poor behavior and attitudes of the other parent for the sake of their kids.

I couldn't stand not being treated fairly or kindly to someone who was fine when we dated but changed after I had his kid and he thinks he "owns" me. Yup, he got physical trying to put me in my place, because I made more money and had more college than he did. That's not even starting the other issues that were a factor.

Stop the exploitation of women and children by making sure vulnerable women don't get suckered into abuse by just being responsible for THEIR OWN CHILD. Read "The Price of Motherhood" and read "Flat Broke, with Children" and Read "One nation, undivided" and tell me an INFORMED opinion. I thought I was the only one being treated unfairly until I read those books. It maid me wish to get my tubes tied when I was single but no doctor did those before a woman has a kid in the 90's.

Last edited by leavingGA; 11-30-2009 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 AM

Sleeping around isn't the issue.

I was addressing all these complaints about welfare and benefits and who's getting what assistance.

It seems some people are nuts to say abortion and birth control CANNOT be a solution, but they don't mind letting the kids who are ALREADY here starve and go homeless.

Does that seem moral to you? Because it doesn't to me! That is just as bad as starting up the incinerators because poverty does waste lives. Needless waste of lives that COULD be productive.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Here is my humble proposal for the fastest way to end welfare while still improving the lives of all children in the US.

Since it's okay by society rules for me to sleep around, maybe the men should get forced to get vascetomy if they get over $7K behind in child support or have more than one they refuse to pay for. Innocent children should not be forced into poverty because their dads leave them. PERIOD.

The rules should apply to ALL men regardless of race, education, socio-economics, work history, whatever. They get only one "chance" to screw up one kid by being lazy or whatever motivates men to cheat their OWN kids. But the main point is that there are standards of responsibility and the first option will make all the abortion debates moot. Women with kids have a hard time working and even more so with special needs kids. Women make less money anyway so it's time to make the men pay. Women who can't get pregnant won't have abortions, so that moral issue goes away too.

If ANY men who sow their wild oats can't keep making kids, then it benefits EVERY taxpayer in the long run.

lol...Don't worry I am not going to check on the answers but I think this the ONE solution everyone avoids....Yes, I even think the rule should apply to women. In modern age, no one woman needs more than 2 kids or 2 pregnancies. FYI, I only had 2 and my tubes are tied. I was married but marriage is not permanent either.
The best way to end the unwanted pregnancies, is to allow fathers to opt out completely of the unwanted childs life.

A woman has options, the mourning after pill, abortion, and adoption.

A man has no options. If I'm involved in a unwanted/unplanned pregnancy (and yes, condoms break, vasectomys reverse themselves, and women lie about birth control), then I'm screwed. I have no say in the matter. If I want nothing to do with the child, then I am still forced to pay child support for a child I didn't want.

Women have all the power when it comes to pregnancy, and I think thats wrong.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 AM

Actually the current family laws in most states were created by MEN.

Wife leaves with the kids and father can't sent money or see the kids because he was at fault (typically cheating spouses would be left). The laws allow men who are unfit to OPT into creating a mentally ill kid then blaming it on the woman. Yup, I offered adoption. He said he would refuse to sign and I certainly believed him them! It did not seem right to put a child at risk of abuse with a clueless alcoholic dad if I wasn't there.

BTW, the adoption option for women went out of favor in the 80's. It's okay for teens but not college aged women. The love child of the 70's created a whole new stereotype to make ALL women suffer for.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 AM

LeavingGA, you are talking about a central authority that has the power to make personal and family decisions and impose them by force on the people. You should think about whether you really want that or not.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 AM

I've already been living in a similar fashion since I would up in GA. That is the current role of family courts right now, or did you not know that.

Everybody gets a say in my life and in my kids life but mother, qualifies as abuse hands down in the psychology department.

If everyone must experience the same thing to be able to have empathy for others, so be it.

Until the time comes where the US is like that, then there is NEVER going to be improvement. The problems of the poor affect everyone all the way up to the poor. It was always arrogant to think that when one suffers, that others don't. Economic crisis proves it.

Did you know some of the countries (India, Mexico, China, some of Africa) we consider 3rd world were one rich and wealthy? When they lost the ability to care for those who needed care in their borders (compassion lost), they began the shift to thrid world poverty. America may be entering that turn...It's collective karma....

Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Did you know some of the countries (India, Mexico, China, some of Africa) we consider 3rd world were one rich and wealthy? When they lost the ability to care for those who needed care in their borders (compassion lost), they began the shift to thrid world poverty. America may be entering that turn...It's collective karma....
That's a very interesting proposition, and I'm going to use it (if you don't mind) to open a thread on the History Forum.

If in fact they were once "wealthy", I would suggest that their shift to third world poverty came when we European Christians took OUR philosophy there and redistributed their wealth to benefit the few who were mainly motivated by personal greed rather than compassion for the many.

But back to the main topic. It sounds to me, in your last post, that you hate the system of government regulation of family affairs, but at the same time advocate that it is necessary. Did I read that wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates