Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
No. States should NOT be required to provide safe parking for truck drivers. First of all, it is not economically feasible. Second, how many does each state need - two or three in each town?

It is nothing short of tragic that this young man was robbed, shot and killed. But who's to say he would have parked in one of these "safe zones" even if they existed? As it is, he could have parked in a WalMart parking lot instead of at an abandoned gas station.
You have to understand that as a truck driver the truck is one step away from being your home. When your home travels hundreds of miles per day to unfamiliar places you should deserve some safety especially when your job is one of the biggest pieces to making the entire continent operate.

And again, the law has mandated, essentially, that truck drivers have to sleep more, which means they have to be parked more. Part of the problem is that these guys don't have anywhere to park sometimes. they can't always go to a Wal-mart. the Wal-Mart here doesn't allow trucks to stay overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Until you have spent a lot of time driving a big rig around the country it is impossible to know all of the problems that OTR drivers encounter. Providing enough safe parking areas for the big rigs to allow those drivers the proper amount of rest is in EVERYONES best interest. Do you really want to share the road with the driver of an 80,000 pound rig that was not able to sleep last night because he could not park his rig?

GL2

Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
You have to understand that as a truck driver the truck is one step away from being your home. When your home travels hundreds of miles per day to unfamiliar places you should deserve some safety especially when your job is one of the biggest pieces to making the entire continent operate.

And again, the law has mandated, essentially, that truck drivers have to sleep more, which means they have to be parked more. Part of the problem is that these guys don't have anywhere to park sometimes. they can't always go to a Wal-mart. the Wal-Mart here doesn't allow trucks to stay overnight.
I understand all of that. I'm not an OTR driver myself, but have family members who are.

The problem with mandating state-built and maintained safe parking spaces is one of logistics. Let's say that every state builds 50 such places, at a price tag of $10 million each. Even if states could afford to build them, that's nowhere near enough - nor will these safe parking places necessarily be where truckers need them to be.

On the other hand, it would seem logical to me that most states could & should expand and improve their Interstate rest areas, so that they're useful for more truckers. That would probably be feasible.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I understand all of that. I'm not an OTR driver myself, but have family members who are.

The problem with mandating state-built and maintained safe parking spaces is one of logistics. Let's say that every state builds 50 such places, at a price tag of $10 million each. Even if states could afford to build them, that's nowhere near enough - nor will these safe parking places necessarily be where truckers need them to be.

On the other hand, it would seem logical to me that most states could & should expand and improve their Interstate rest areas, so that they're useful for more truckers. That would probably be feasible.
That's pretty much what I had in mind really. I think a lot of issues like this one where the guy parked in an abandoned gas station is that it might have been his only option. If there had been somewhere else for him to stop it wouldn't have happened. So to me another rest stop for them would probably be enough safety/ security; like getting two birds with one stone...

Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 43,788 times
Omaha rocks. You need to know that walmart will not let trucks park in most of there stores. I have been rousted and told to move my truck from a few. So to say something like that is kinda illinformed. And while there is a bunch of rest areas all over the US some states are closing them to save money, and many are just to small to fit more than 10-20 trucks. You try to fit in at 2 in the morning after driving 600 miles in 10 hours almost non stop. So while I dont want the fed to tell the states to have more truck parking it would be smart of the states to do something. It is after all a safty thing for those of us that drive them as well as the general population that we share the road with. So learn and think before you speak

Old 12-14-2009, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 43,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
[FONT=Verdana]The police are NOT required to protect the individual. They are only there to investigate and prosecute criminals. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]If the states were required to provide safe parking for truckers would they be required to provide safe parking garages for other citizens? [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]In the case of truckers the government may be required under some part of the Interstate Commerce laws and if they do the costs should be recovered through the truck and driver licensing process. Railroads protect their own property at their own expense. This drives up their costs and rates. Why shouldn't trucking companies face the same costs.[/FONT]
Ok say we truckers and the companies we drive for pay for it, Are you willing to pay 3 times what you were for food and gas and just about everything else that trucks bring? Or better yet, The next time someone dies when a truck driver cant get off the road to sleep because ther isnt a place to park,think it could be someone in your family. Just remember bud we have family also and I for one would like to see them not get shipped home in a body bag. So untill you walk a mile in our shoes think beond your selfish needs. Oh BTW we as a group pay 10 times more per driver than you do in fuel taxes. So in real world terms we pay for the highways.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5icr View Post
Omaha rocks. You need to know that walmart will not let trucks park in most of there stores. I have been rousted and told to move my truck from a few. So to say something like that is kinda illinformed. And while there is a bunch of rest areas all over the US some states are closing them to save money, and many are just to small to fit more than 10-20 trucks. You try to fit in at 2 in the morning after driving 600 miles in 10 hours almost non stop. So while I dont want the fed to tell the states to have more truck parking it would be smart of the states to do something. It is after all a safty thing for those of us that drive them as well as the general population that we share the road with. So learn and think before you speak

I don't understand why walmart will allow rvers to park but not truck drivers. I know I would rather have a driver on the road that is well rested. If you are too tired to drive you should be allowed to pull over with out hassle. It should be a public service afterall walmart gets enough government subsidies.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:20 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I don't understand why walmart will allow rvers to park but not truck drivers. I know I would rather have a driver on the road that is well rested. If you are too tired to drive you should be allowed to pull over with out hassle. It should be a public service afterall walmart gets enough government subsidies.
From what I've understood it's up to each individual store manager.

I knew one who didn't let trucks park but did RVs park. His rationale (right or wrong) was that he felt the additional weight of the trucks would bust his parking lot up prematurely while the RVs don't have near the same kind of weight.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
skinem,
You probably nailed it about the reason being the extra weight. A fully loaded 18 wheeler can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds or more legally. Compare that to a RV that might weigh 40,000# and usually less. The consider how tight a turn a tractor trailer can make and the potential for damage to a parking lot surface is tremendous.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates