Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

Personal:
Pay off all debt.
Buy a modest new car AND a big pickup.
RETIRE!
Purchase health insurance, now that I could afford the outrageous rates.
Road trip through the entire US (not sure how ~ not interested in buying a trailer).
Buy homes in New Orleans and Central Calif (where I've had plans to relocate to, anyway). I think I may keep this one, not sure.

Charities: Not so much for organizations but more for individual neediness (like a family going without heat through a cold winter because they can't pay for it), and I'd do it anonymously. But I'd donate to the Salvation Army, Meals on Wheels, and the Oregon Food Bank. Medical contributions: Alzheimers.

Other:
I would also partake of sponsoring bands of my choice for Portland's Waterfront Blues Festival, as well as fund the return of the blues festivals in San Francisco and Merced.

"World issues"? Not a clue yet.

But I would fund the return of mental institutions. I know a lot of people hate the concept, but the only alternative has been the streets. NOT where they belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:09 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
*Pay off ALL my debt (home, cars, student loans, etc)
* Set-up accounts for my children to live off of when they turned 21
*Pay off my parents debt
*Pay off a few other close friends/families members debt
*Put a substantial amount in the bank
*Buy a couple of vacation homes
*Buy a fleet of new vehicles
*Invest
*Donate to charity

I'm sure other things would come up but this is what I would do!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM

116 posts, read 409,156 times
I would help alot of people out because you cant take it with you.I have known a couple millionares and they gave there entire fortune to there church what a waste IMO.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
If you had a trillion dollars, what would you do?
Anything I wanted.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
With that kind of money, I would commission a new Wonder of the World. I think I would choose to fund a "Space Fountain" concept: An actively supported megastructure 100 km high and around 500 km long for launching vehicles into space safely and "cheaply". It would be the largest and most technologically advanced structure ever built.

It would take 20-30 years to build and construction alone would probably eat up 400-600 billion. The remainder would be dedicated to operational costs until the system became profitable.

In the short term the construction would employ hundreds of thousands of workers and engineers from every discipline and every country. If it operated successfully, it would ensure dedicate access to space and extraterrestrial resources, yielding a great net benefit to mankind in the long term.

Even if it ended up failing to operate properly and became a giant boondoggle, it would still be a legacy no one would ever forget.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Sort of inspired by the national spending priorities thread, but I'm asking if you, personally, had $1,000,000,000,000, what would you do with it?
Buy Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Central & Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, South Eastern British Columbia, Southern Alberta, Southern Saskatchewan, South Western Manitoba and the Dakotas to form a new country birthed in freedom and open to free trade with North America.That would run perhaps $500 billion, as I am sure Canada and the US would bargain hard.

With the rest, $50b would set up the new government; $50b to set up the system of laws, courts, and governance. $200B to build the necessary infrastructure and ports. $150 billion to seed a system of quality social services.
I would then leave $50b to fund the central bank.

Population:
Eastern Washington: 1.37 million (2004)
Central & Eastern Oregon (11 counties): 325K (2000)
Idaho: 1.52 million (2008)
Montana: 967K (2008)
Wyoming: 533K (2008)
SE British Columbia (8 regional districts): 637K (2005)
Southern Alberta (4 regional districts): 280K (2006)
Southern Saskatchewan (lower 8 regional constituencies): 136K (2001)
North Dakota: 641K (2008)
South Dakota: 808K (2008)
SW Manitoba (3 RHAs): 223K (2008)

Total Population: 7.46 million

This country would be sparsely populated, rural, agricultural, and mountainous with some modest amount of mining, oil, gas, timber, and lots of prairie.

It has a large number of poor. Its major cities would include
Spokane
Bend
Boise
Billings
Coeur d'Alene
Missoula
Medicine Hat
Moose Jaw
Casper
Cheyenne
Cody
Bismarck
Sioux Falls
Rapid City

It would have some great skiing including Banff and Jackson Hole (although getting Banff might be a tad difficult); Great fishing and wildlife; Cold winters and long summer days; great parks; wine country; tons of family farms

It is a region which gets little to no attention from either Ottawa or Washington DC.

It is a friendly region where the majority are self-sufficient people who rich rich on knowing they have earned their day's keep.

It is a region would would contain a large Native American population, a population treated horribly or not dealt with at all.

It is an area that would not be terribly missed 11 months out of 12 and politically not missed 12/12.

It is an area that dos not "need" high taxes as living is modest and pragmatic.

So...hopefully $500 billion would do the trick.

S.

P.S. We would also invite Seattle & W Washington, Portland (Western Oregon), Vancouver BC, and Winnipeg to join. This would enable full access to the Pacific and the Mississippi.

Last edited by Sandpointian; 01-14-2010 at 10:53 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Fund educational programs for disadvantaged/ abused children and lead a crusade to bribe PACs, lobbyists, and/or run for office to create legislation to enact harsher punishment for sexual predators especially for crimes against children.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:14 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bascat348 View Post
I would help alot of people out because you cant take it with you.I have known a couple millionares and they gave there entire fortune to there church what a waste IMO.
Only the things done for eternity count ; giving to their churches so the saving Gospel of Christ can go out to save souls for all of eternity , is the very best thing one can do with the money that God has allowed them to have. It all belongs to God anyway. I hope a particular Church didnt rub you up the wrong way, but if it did, you need to forgive it then move on to a real personal relationship with God thru Christ -- thats something that stays with you forever . The temporary riches of this world are fading, but that never will. I hope youll choose very wisely. Regards.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
After taxes there would be about $5.00 left. I would buy a cheeseburger.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,004 times
I'll buy my own banana republic and ran it they way I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates