Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

I've argued with Intelligent Designers and Creationists on this forum countless time. Usually, because their argument is that Evolution is completely wrong.

I was watching a documentary today, and most of the scientists that supported Intelligent Design don't discount evolution. Most of them said that its obvious that changes between species occur over time. Most of them believe that the world is about 4.5 billion years old, and that species have evolved since their "creation" so to speak.

The argument begins with the beginning of life. Evolution doesn't answer the question of how life began. No science does, really. No one knows how the first single celled organism came about. It could be a "Creator", could be a alien seeding, it could be a comet brought amino acids to Earth, who knows.

The answer is no one.

So whats wrong with the "I don't know" answer to questions like these. The Evolutionists seem to dismiss the ID people as religious quacks. Don't get me wrong, many of them are. However, that doesn't mean that the people who are asking how life began and using a designer to answer that question are wrong. They may be right, no one knows.

Religious folks are wrong for dismissing evolution completely. Life didn't begin 6000 years ago, thats very evident. We most likely evolved from an ape like creature, which evolved from something else, which evolved from something else. However, embracing evolution doesn't mean you aren't Christian, it simply means you accept the evidence is there that it did happen. There is evidence it did happen, but no evidence on how evolution got started.

I believe Intelligent design activists might very well be best served by coming up with a new name. Maybe the "originators" or something like that.

Ignoring either side isn't getting us anywhere on answering these questions.

Now this doesn't mean ID should be taught in schools. However, it doesn't mean that Evolution should be taught as having all the answers in schools either. What it means is that answering "I don't know" isn't such a bad thing.

I don't know opens doors. It raises questions. Some questions may never be answered, but we may answer a lot more then we have now.

So, whats wrong with saying "I don't know"

Well, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So whats wrong with the "I don't know" answer to questions like these. .
It's inconsistent with the narcissistic ego of the know-it-alls, who have known it all since Sunday School.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's inconsistent with the narcissistic ego of the know-it-alls, who have known it all since Sunday School.
Nice. I think you just proved the point of the thread. Unintentional irony. Way to go.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 AM

95 posts, read 207,625 times
"I don't know" is the literal conclusion of Atheism, so I'm not sure what you mean. It sounds like you're really arguing for more conversational humility or something?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
Your way too easy.

Control. We don't have it.

I don't trust you to have it.

In order for me to function then someone else must have it.

Structure. More importantly someone who looks like structure. Identify. Visualize.

For those that are believers (some) can't function. It was/is the unquestioning given. Seek and you shall find. There is an answer and it redeems me.

I dunno, that's all I got.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM

64 posts, read 80,173 times
Because we know, intelligent design. The facts and our faith tell us the true story.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Why if you believe something would you say you don't know.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why if you believe something would you say you don't know.
Because there's a difference between personal beliefs and truths.

Example: There's a difference between saying "I believe God created us" and "God creates us"

One is the right way to say it, one is not. One forms a good basis to enter into a discussion about creation of man, one does not.

No one can deny you your beliefs, but passing them off as truths makes you look foolish and hinders any real conversation.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've argued with Intelligent Designers and Creationists on this forum countless time. Usually, because their argument is that Evolution is completely wrong.

I was watching a documentary today, and most of the scientists that supported Intelligent Design don't discount evolution. Most of them said that its obvious that changes between species occur over time. Most of them believe that the world is about 4.5 billion years old, and that species have evolved since their "creation" so to speak.

The argument begins with the beginning of life. Evolution doesn't answer the question of how life began. No science does, really. No one knows how the first single celled organism came about. It could be a "Creator", could be a alien seeding, it could be a comet brought amino acids to Earth, who knows.

The answer is no one.

So whats wrong with the "I don't know" answer to questions like these. The Evolutionists seem to dismiss the ID people as religious quacks. Don't get me wrong, many of them are. However, that doesn't mean that the people who are asking how life began and using a designer to answer that question are wrong. They may be right, no one knows.

Religious folks are wrong for dismissing evolution completely. Life didn't begin 6000 years ago, thats very evident. We most likely evolved from an ape like creature, which evolved from something else, which evolved from something else. However, embracing evolution doesn't mean you aren't Christian, it simply means you accept the evidence is there that it did happen. There is evidence it did happen, but no evidence on how evolution got started.

I believe Intelligent design activists might very well be best served by coming up with a new name. Maybe the "originators" or something like that.

Ignoring either side isn't getting us anywhere on answering these questions.

Now this doesn't mean ID should be taught in schools. However, it doesn't mean that Evolution should be taught as having all the answers in schools either. What it means is that answering "I don't know" isn't such a bad thing.

I don't know opens doors. It raises questions. Some questions may never be answered, but we may answer a lot more then we have now.

So, whats wrong with saying "I don't know"

Well, I don't know.
You (and I, among others) are fighting those debates with fundamentalist young earther's who are a tiny but loud minority. They also have no education on the subject and have completely shut their "world view information boxes" from anything that isn't already in there, which sadly must be barfed over a pulpit before it can be accepted as "valid information".

They also are not winning many converts on CD forum, I've noticed.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You (and I, among others) are fighting those debates with fundamentalist young earther's who are a tiny but loud minority. They also have no education on the subject and have completely shut their "world view information boxes" from anything that isn't already in there, which sadly must be barfed over a pulpit before it can be accepted as "valid information".

They also are not winning many converts on CD forum, I've noticed.
See now, here's a problem...

Don't bother jumping all over me, because I don't view the book of Genesis as a science book.

But do you have any idea how snarky and condescending your post is? And do you think you're winning over any converts with that tone and attitude?

I find it sad that people who expect civil debate are so unwilling to engage in it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates